Confused!!

Diane3010

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there,

I had a high result from my blood test so I was sent for a fasting blood test which also came back high. I saw doctor yesterday and she said my test came back as 9.5 and she presumed I had type 2 diabetes. She said she wanted to do another fasting test in 2 weeks to double check. So in the meantime keep a food diary to take back in a few weeks. Didn't really give me any information. As I have polysystic ovaries I mentioned reduction of carbs she said there was no need for that as we need carbs. Everything I've read says different. I've been having whole meal bread and whole meal pasta/rice but I have no idea what I've to eat or not to eat. I'm really tired all the time (she put that down to 3 kids, uni, working busy life). I just feel confused and not really sure what I'm doing??? Hope this makes sense!! Lol

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome.

You are not alone. Most newly diagnosed type 2's are confused. We were all in the same boat as you when we first arrived here. The lucky ones find this forum, where all the advice comes from other diabetics rather than NHS staff. It is typical for NHS staff to push carbs because they push the Healthy Plate way of eating, but as carbs convert to glucose once inside the system they are therefore not good for diabetics. The worst culprits are bread (of any colour), rice, pasta, cereals and potatoes.

The best way to learn is to obtain a blood glucose meter and test strips. By testing before and after eating you will see which foods raise your levels and which don't. It will be the most useful tool you can have.

Have a good read round this forum, take a deep breath, ask as many questions as you like, and please stick around.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hello Diane and welcome to the forum :)

To help you until you go to your Doctor, here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask all the questions you like and someone will be able to answer you.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 100,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Diane3010

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks so much for replying, the information is really helpful. I'm just trying to get my head around the forum. Lol will continue my reading. Thanks again x

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Dianne. Welcome to the forum. there is a lot of information isn't there? It's a super forum with very friendly, knowledgeable people.

Diane3010

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you!! Yes so much information take in!! It's my bday today think I will be having carrot sticks rather than cake!! Lol x

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Welcome Dianne.
Like Mo says its a super forum.I have had lots of help,and people are very concerned and friendly,whatever you ask some one will know.

Reactions: 2 people

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Happy birthday,have a steak

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Happy birthday Diane :)

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
All the dietary advice is confusing to begin with and to be honest, a lot of it depends on your own personal make up. My FBG, the one that led to me having an hba1c test, was 9.8 but by losing weight, sticking to smaller portions of low GI foods and increased daily activity, I got myself back into the normal zone without meds.

Low GI foods are those which release complex carbs into the body slowly, so they don't spike you. However, portion control is still important. Still, it meant that I could eat brown rice and pearl barley and wholegrain rye. I avoided all other stuff until my bloods were getting better and then I started eating a few boiled new potatoes, not mashed, that goes straight into the blood and some smaller portions of wholewheat pasta.

Most bread which is advertised as wholemeal still contains white flour. Basically, if it is soft and springy, avoid it. Rye is better than wheat and a good loaf has the feel of a brick about it. It's very nice with sliced smoked meats and continental cheese. Things like wholegrain rye ryvita is ok too if you avoid eating too many.

Just see how it goes. As long as you do something, it is better than doing nothing. Most of us test ourselves and we learn from our own mistakes.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Happy birthday Diane, and welcome. T2 diagnosis may have not been the best birthday present you had in mind, but in the longer term if it triggers you to take the same control over your condition as have many on here (despite the best efforts of the NHS to trip us up) then it might not be as bad as it seems!

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you!! Yes so much information take in!! It's my bday today think I will be having carrot sticks rather than cake!! Lol x

I was diagnosed on my birthday and I was due to take the family out for a chinese meal.

It was great, salt and pepper spare ribs, prawns and chicken. Shrimp egg foo yung. King prawns with tomato, roast duck with ginger and spring onion - there was loads to choose from even if it means avoiding anything with a sweet sticky sauce or white rice. Chinese mushrooms, chinese greens, duck with prawn meat stuffing, a real banquet!

Happy birthday to you. One tip for christmas, get some good books on healthy cooking. I have never eaten so well. Just avoid all ready meals, pre made sauces etc. Start with a book on cooking with spices. Even a vegetable curry can taste fantastic.

Reactions: 4 people

Diane3010

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone!! That all makes sense!! I'm thinking I will get a new cookbook!! I tend to cook most foods from scratch as I love cooking, may just have to change some of my recipes!! I'm also vegetarian just to confuse matters!! So I'm aware my diet has been very carb based, baked pots, pasta, rice etc!! It's definitely a big change and takes a whole to get my head around it.

Thanks again for all the info it's been much appreciated x

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Prashad Indian Vegetarian Cooking is good if you like a little spice. It's easy to tone down the heat. Foods like lentils and chickpeas are very good for diabetics as they contain a type of carb that does not get digested. It gets broken down by bacteria in the lower intestine.

The unfortunate by product is wind but at least it won't raise your bloods.

Tomato%20Chana%20Dal%20Curry.jpg

Dishes made with gram flour (chickpea flour), like Dhokra are filling and tasty and very kind to your bloods:

33353_Dhokra__image_1.jpg

Diane3010

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh they look amazing!! That's great as I love lentil soup and chickpeas but wasn't sure if I could have them! I will have a look at those recipes. Thanks

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's great as I love lentil soup and chickpeas but wasn't sure if I could have them!

They are not a problem for most people. There are many different types of sugars and many groupings, monosacchardies, disaccharides, oligosaccharides and polysaccharides. The oligosaccharides in lentils and chickpeas include a type called galactose which is part of the cellular structure of the plant. It's a little like having ground up straw from wheat mixed in with the white flour. Lentils and beans are high in this sort of fibre. It is the bean equivalent of a grass 'wholegrain', except not being a grain, you can't call them wholegrain lentils.

As always though, every human is different and cooking techniques, boiling time, soaking time etc alter the characteristics so, test to be sure. But they are nearly always ok for type 2 diabetics.

Chole is one of my favourites. It is just a spicy chickpea and tomato dish and as most asian stores sell a dozen tins of chickpeas for £2.99, it is a highly nutritious yet very cheap dish to make.

l.jpg

Reactions: 6 people

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you fancy a change from spicy food, pearl barley makes an excellent substitute for rice, including rissotto rice and has a very low GI, one of the lowest. Here is a nice recipe for a mushroom rissotto with leeks and garlic:

http://www.stylist.co.uk/life/recipes/pearl-barley-risotto-with-mushrooms-leeks-and-garlic

mushroomrissotto.jpg

and if you make enough to have some left over, you can make arancini the following day. All you do is get a small cube of mozarella cheese and use chilled left over rissotto to form a ball around it. Coat in egg yolk and some breadcrumbs. I use a stale slice of wholegrain rye bread blitzed. You never use much anyway so it shouldn't trouble you. Then either shallow fry or deep fry. As the rissotti is cooked, all you are doing is crisping up the shell, warming the rissotto and making the mozarella gooey. Serve with a chilli sauce, garlic suace, cream cheese and chives sauce, whatever you fancy.

VfTTtM05HjQ6eA-640m.jpg

Reactions: 4 people

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My diet was so BORING untiI joined this forum. Did I really class fish and chips as a treat? I made a rich beef tagine the colour of orangey chocolate the other night and my wife and I gazed at each other across the kitchen table with the nearest to an expression of mutual adoration we've exchanged for 25 years.
Have you see the film Babette's Feast?
Sorry, Diane, you don't have to be mad here but it helps.

Reactions: 6 people