Insulin Pump Users + Freestyle Libre Users - AGP

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would like to start a thread for people who are on an insulin pump and who are using the new freestyle Libre.

Have you used the AGP software with the traffic light system to fine tune your pump?
How are you using this to adjust your basal rate?
Have you noticed anything you did not know before using the Libre?

I fasted from 8pm - overnight to 6pm the next day. I seemed to stay between 8 and 9mmol. From this, I think that my Basal is ok...perhaps just a slight increase (say .05 increase per hour)
What surprised me was from about 4pm, my levels started rising to about 16. I see this pattern over several days. I know there is the dawn phenomenon which raises glucose levels in the morning. Does anyone know why levels would rise suddenly between 4 and 6pm?

I dont see the traffic light system yet on my AGP profile. Has anyone been using the Libre longer than a week? Do they only appear after a while when there is a definite pattern?

From spikes after eating, it seems I spike drastically then drop fast - To avoid this, do any users split the bolus or how soon would you take a bolus before eating?

PS: This thread is for advice from pump and freestyle libre users only. Its not for complaints regarding reading variations or faulty sensors neither - theres other threads for those postings.

It would be nice to see images of AGP profiles and positive replies as to how you have used this new meter and software to fine tune your pump and any experiences that you learned from the Libre that you werent aware of.

Alzibiff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Omnipod,
I would like to follow this thread but am rather confused, please can you clarify:

At one point in your post after the bit about your 22 hour basal test fasting session, you say "..I seemed to stay between 8 and 9mmol....." and then you write "..from about 4pm, my levels started rising to about 16."

Thank you,
Alan

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I stayed between 8 & 9 from 8pm all through the night. I fasted all of the next day till 6pm. My blood glucose remained between 8-9 and then at about 4pm, it started rising (even tho I was fasting.) It rose until 6pm then started dropping. I broke my fast at 6pm by taking a correction dose then had my dinner. Apologies for the confusion.

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have had the libre sensor on a week now and have been watching with interest what happens with my BG. My first sensor seems to think I spend every night in the 2s (BG actually 4.5-5.5) so I haven't been able to use that data although the graph shows I'm stable overnight.

The spikes I get when eating are like yours - huge and fast. I'm very interested to see what others do. Not all meals do this though. I discovered I can eat my usual crumpet for breakfast (20g) and BG is stable. Sometimes I put a little smear of dairy free chocolate spread on and I shoot up to 8 straight away!

I love that I can see which way my bg is going - rather than just have a static reading as well. I have used the arrow as a guide if I'm going a little low as too how much to take without overtreating.

Happy to see my cups of tea and coffee don't seem to cause any issues too :happy:

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've only had it on 2.5 days and I've already made a slight change to my basal based on the readings. I will confirm it is effective with a finger prick overnight tonight!

H

Hooked

I stayed between 8 & 9 from 8pm all through the night. I fasted all of the next day till 6pm. My blood glucose remained between 8-9 and then at about 4pm, it started rising (even tho I was fasting.) It rose until 6pm then started dropping. I broke my fast at 6pm by taking a correction dose then had my dinner. Apologies for the confusion.

Would that possibly be your liver kicking in after such a long period of fasting?

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have posted my AGP.... any thoughts?
I also included a typical day

agp 1.JPG
typica day2.JPG

Attachments

• agp 1.JPG
    agp 1.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 707

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
@Omnipod

You may well find that increasing every hour basal by 0.05 is going to be too much. However, this depends on the qty of insulin you are pumping thru each hour. Eg for me I will only change by 0.01 extra each hour at a time if needed because I am on less than a unit per hour. However, another pumper I know uses at least 2 units per hour and will do increase of either 0.05 because this is all the pump will allow.
The increase starting at 4pm when basal testing just is because you haven't got your basal rates right for 1pm or 2pm.
Once these are corrected and basal tested again then the rises after eating can be adjusted.

Personally though, I would not go a full day till 6pm without eating. If testing afternoon rates you would be best to have your breakfast. If testing morning rates, then finish around lunch time. It is not really advised to go without both breakfast/lunch to do a basal test day.

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Omnipod

You may well find that increasing every hour basal by 0.05 is going to be too much. However, this depends on the qty of insulin you are pumping thru each hour. Eg for me I will only change by 0.01 extra each hour at a time if needed because I am on less than a unit per hour. However, another pumper I know uses at least 2 units per hour and will do increase of either 0.05 because this is all the pump will allow.
The increase starting at 4pm when basal testing just is because you haven't got your basal rates right for 1pm or 2pm.
Once these are corrected and basal tested again then the rises after eating can be adjusted.

Personally though, I would not go a full day till 6pm without eating. If testing afternoon rates you would be best to have your breakfast. If testing morning rates, then finish around lunch time. It is not really advised to go without both breakfast/lunch to do a basal test day.

Thank you. I had no idea that I should be adjusting as far back as 2pm for my basal rate at 4pm. I have included my basal rates below. From 12 mid day to 5:30pm, Im on .85 per hour. I could increase it by .5?
Last night was weird. I went to bed as per usual. Bloods around 9. They then steadily dropped and at 5am I went hypo. Most other nights, they just stay stable. I usually have a few spoons of Yoghurt before bed but last night, I never.
my basal rates are
12am to 3 am .60 p/hr
3am to 10am .85 p/hr
10am to 12pm .65 p/hr
12pm to 5:30pm .85 p/hr
5.30pm to 8pm .65 p/hr
8pm to 12am .60 p/hr
total daily 17.75 Basal

iHs

Hi omnipod

i havent got the Libre so cannot comment on it but looking at yr OP msg, it does look like yr bssal rates need adjusting. As DD has said, its best to adjust the bssal 1.5 to 2hrs before the high or low bg level goes outside yr target range. Whatever yr tsrget bg level is, adjust the basal to it but remember whatever basal rate time block you adjust, the change might also affect bg levels in the next time block. For me, my target range is 6mmol so 9mmol would need me to zcjust my basal to covdr the 3mmol difference. A change of 0.10u would more or less cover 1.0mmol change to basal, so be csreful on how much you adjust by.

Good luck....... i hate basal testing lol

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Does ur pump only alter by 0.05doses or does it do smaller adjustments?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@iHs and @Omnipod

I actually alter mine 3 hours and 2 hours before the hour that rises.

I have tested how long it takes insulin to act in my body fully and once the insulin is delivered over the hour (not a full squirt at once).... And my body time to work, It is always a 3 hour and 2 hour tweak.

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Thank you. I had no idea that I should be adjusting as far back as 2pm for my basal rate at 4pm. I have included my basal rates below. From 12 mid day to 5:30pm, Im on .85 per hour. I could increase it by .5?
Last night was weird. I went to bed as per usual. Bloods around 9. They then steadily dropped and at 5am I went hypo. Most other nights, they just stay stable. I usually have a few spoons of Yoghurt before bed but last night, I never.
my basal rates are
12am to 3 am .60 p/hr
3am to 10am .85 p/hr
10am to 12pm .65 p/hr
12pm to 5:30pm .85 p/hr
5.30pm to 8pm .65 p/hr
8pm to 12am .60 p/hr
total daily 17.75 Basal

Here's a basal testing routine which is well worth reading http://diatribe.org/issues/26/thinking-like-a-pancreas hope it helps you.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I would be a bit stumped advising here, as I only know of my pump with hourly individual settings so it's a lot easier to fine tune.