LC snack ideas?

Sam1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I was wandering if anybody give me some ideas for Snacks I eat yoghurt and seeds or hard boiled egg but need something that is satisfying as sometimes depending on shifts I can only have 2 meals a day. Its to late at 8-9pm to have a full meal. Thanks.

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Maybe try to increase your fat intake at the meals that would keep you full longer, otherwise cheese with no carbs like mature cheddar, nuts, look for the cheese puff recipe made with brie.

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Cheese strings and Salami sticks, Lidl do a nice one, similar to Peperami. I perfer the Lidl one.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
An awkward one, I've not found a decent, easy, snack food that is storable, requires no preparation or planning, can be eaten with your fingers from the pot, and is reasonably cheap.

If you have the facilities, going from the yoghurt and the eggs you have a fridge, or cool box, pre cooked sausage, cold, pots of coleslaw, similar pots of sandwich filler, cold meat, chicken {but watch for added sugar if it's bbq style etc) low carb pork scratchings, sliced peppers.
I haven't checked the calories, as I don't LC personally, but Morrisons do a crust less mini quiche, it still has a base, just no sides.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi, just use the well known low carb ingredients but use the ones that make a small meal instead of a full blown meal, when we are going off for the day, i cube some cheddar and wrap it in foil, you can pop few whenever you like, or cut into strips and roll in a slice of ham, cold chicken drumsticks, mini salads, cold sausages (i dont like them cold) celery sticks and a little pot of cream cheese, marks and spencer do a nice crispy bacon pre packed, you can make a sandwich if you can get hold of some livlife bread from morrisons (some) and waitrose are starting selling it again by the sounds of it, if im passing a petrol station i often grab a little pot of blueberries they are good on their own and better with some cheese chunks (dunno why) you can but pre packed cheese strips in the same petrol station (sainsburys petrol stations are good) if you have access to a fridge t work, the list is endless, if you have access to a microwave you can buy or make satay chicken on skewers, a couple of german frankfurters, then theres baking, if you have time you can bake all manner of cakes and cookies that keep well (www.diabeticgoodbaking.com) there are some really simple things to make and take with you the next day, coconut macaroons and coconut chocolate balls are my favourites

edit: nutssssssssssss

Reactions: 4 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Omelette wrap? With lots of nice things in it?

Or a thermos flask with a nice stew, that is what I would opt for now that it's getting darker and colder.

Reactions: 2 people

Sam1970

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the ideas guys.... Plenty to think about there :)

alliebee

I make a frittata. Mushrooms onions bacon or chicken or sausage red pepper herbs if you like then whisk up 4j eggs and saltn pepper. A good strong cheese and cook a bit like an omlette or bake in the oven. It tastes even better next day cold..wrap it in foil...brilliant

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Masses of good suggestions above, but if you want packet food, finger food, easy to carry, no washing up, and no refrigeration, then you can't beat pork scratchings and 9 bars (have a google for the 9 bars).

Both may be available in your local supermarket, but I know Amazon do them.
One word of caution.- you can get some nasty chemically ingredients in cheap scratchings. The nice ones cost a bit more. Worth every penny!

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Which pork scratchings do you buy @Brunnaria?

I've tried several. Most of them have some kind of added starch (insignificant to BG) and some form of flavour enhancer (monosodiumglutamate usually). That doesn't agree with me. The best/nicest/least mucked about with are the Posh Pork Scratchings, just pork and Anglesey sea salt. Cheapest source so far Amazon. Careful, cos they can be very expensive, so shop around!

Reactions: 4 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
We buy the raw nuts from sainsbury's and add peri peri salt and avocado oil, then roast them for fifteen minutes. Tasty, low carb, snack.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Mini babybel - great snack and great when travelling, just love the new green with goat cheese. Awfully posh pork scatchings with some mayo or butter, yummy.

Nickers

So any type of nuts then? And no carbs at all just what I get from veg sorry just trying to get my head around it before I start x

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Are nuts ok on LCHF?
I think different Low Carbers will say different things. Dependent on your amounts of carbs, they may be. I eat them on a low carb diet.

There is mounting evidence that the body doesn't absorb fat or carbs well from nuts, so they get passed through, making the packet values inaccurate, and making them a great LCHF snack!

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I carry a jar of whole nut, salt and sugar free, peanut butter and a spoon. I used to buy Tesco brazil nuts but too many are bad and I object to paying loads of money just to spit half of them out again. Sometimes I'll have pate, especially smoked mackerel pate, with lettuce leaves to 'spoon' it. Avoid cashews if you are low carb. Macadamia, Brazils and pecans are lowest.