What's going on. Why was I diagnosed T2?

Phub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Hate the doctor's surgery. The Doctor is okay though.
I had my diagnosis for type 2 seven days ago.

Yesterday I kept an appointment with the practice nurse, and for an hour she probed, with questions about this that and the other. During the consultation she told me that had my blood readings been taken last year, I wouldn't have been diagnosed, but would have been told I was borderline. for the condition. The guidelines have been changed; was the reason. As for my case, I have absolutely no symptoms of this disease whatsoever. My pulse readings in my lower limbs were excellent, and the only problem she could find was my overweight. As if I didn't know!

Generally, I fell well, I am mobile, and I can miss a meal now and then without any ill-effects. So I would like to know whether or not I really do have T2. Or is this yet another case of Government Guidelines being used to 'cover their backs'; the goalposts being moved for my own good. (This Nanny State!)

I also learned, I would have been given a glucose meter free, but I had already bought one, believing that as I have a private pension, I wouldn't get the 'free issue.' Not that it bothers me too much, but it's £12, or so I need not have spent.

I also mentioned to the Nurse that I had not yet taken any Metformin. I was worried that I had not been placed on a proper diet first, to see if that worked, prior to the decision to prescribe. Apparently the guidelines on that too have been changed, and the drug manufacturers have pronounced their drug quite safe to use straight away.

Do I scent a whiff of 'Let's get as many people as possible on a drug that we supply to the NHS'? I think so. Therefore, I am NOT going to shove more tablets down my gullet. I already have two lots of Beta Blockers and a diuretic to take.

Also in the last week I have lost 5lbs in weight, just by striking bread, and other starchy food, ( including potatoes) from my diet..

Let's see if diet really can rid me of these damning readings. My next blood test is due in three months, so we shall discover!

Regards
Phub (John)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not aware of any change in guidelines as to the levels required for a Type 2 diagnosis. It is above 47 on an HbA1c test. What did change were the measurement units used for these HbA1c tests. They changed in 2011 from a percentage unit to mmol/mol unit.

What were your test results?

Phub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Hi Blue..

I don't know about figures. I was told that the readings for my blood tests, would not have triggered any response last year. Now my readings are considered an 'alarm', and I should be treated.

That's all I can tell you.

I am on a low carb, high fat diet. I put myself on that regime, and when I told the nurse, she was quite happy with it. Not that I would have cared if she was bothered. Her explanation of the role cholesterol plays in heart attacks was pure, 'conventional so-called wisdom'!
Until the Medical profession starts to question a few things, we won't get anywhere.

Regards

Phub (John)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you bought the Codefree then you really made a wise decision. Tubs of strips are £5-7 for 50.

That free meter she offered you probably came with only 10 strips. You would have to buy replacements, and most brands cost £18-30 for a single tub of 50 strips... :)

If you are interested in the actual numbers of your test results (and I would be!), you can get them from the surgery receptionist. They are obliged to give them. Very useful! I think some people have been charged pennies for the printout, but that doesn't happen everywhere.

Welcome to the D club. Its a struggle to keep overcoming NHS inertia, but believe me, it's worth the battle!

Phub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Hi Brunnaria.

Thanks for the reply.
In fact there were no strips with the meter I bought (Urine strips that is). I thought there was going to be a pack of strips, so I guess I just clicked the wrong box. Even though I made enquiries when I ordered, to avoid ordering the wrong meter.

I probably won't bother about it to be frank. I haven't used the meter yet, and probably won't. It isn't that I am uninterested in my figures, and treatments. It's merely that I just don't see myself as ill. As I said, none of the symptoms of diabetes have presented themselves, and I fail to see how one can have a condition that shows no signs. For instance, I had no breakfast this morning. (I don't habitually skip breakfast, but there are occasions when I rise late, and don't bother.) I went through my day without problems, until 15.00, and broke my fast with a packet of hazelnuts. I don't feel tired, and I had no ill-effects at all. So I am bemused. Every diabetic I have known were all obliged to eat regularly throughout the day, to avoid fatigue, and/or fainting. As a result, I am going to seek a second-opinion on this.

I will keep posted in case anyone is feeling like me.

PS. I have just noticed that you visit the website 'Green Smoothies'. I hope no one suggests I consume a green-smoothie. I don't think I could face that. You are a better soul than me Brunnaria!

Cheers.
Phub (John)

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Phub there are lots of people who have diabetes that didn't have any symptoms until they had a routine blood test. Perhaps you should ask for another test and armed with your test scores I am sure someone on here would be able to offer you some good advice

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A second opinion would be a really good idea.

It will either reassure you, or confirm the diagnosis. Either will set your mind at rest.

On the subject of being symptom free... It is worth pointing out that diabetic complications tend to appear years after blood glucose problems begin. The body manages as best it can, for as long as it can, compensating invisibly.

Then, one day, when the damage is largely irreversible, all the neglected chickens come home to roost. Blindness, kidney failure, numbness in the extremities, digestive difficulties...

I hope your second opinion finds you non-diabetic (I wouldn't wish it on anyone!), but if your blood glucose is raised, please do not bury your head in the sand. You will regret it, later.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I probably won't bother about it to be frank. I haven't used the meter yet, and probably won't. It isn't that I am uninterested in my figures, and treatments. It's merely that I just don't see myself as ill. As I said, none of the symptoms of diabetes have presented themselves, and I fail to see how one can have a condition that shows no signs. For instance, I had no breakfast this morning. (I don't habitually skip breakfast, but there are occasions when I rise late, and don't bother.) I went through my day without problems, until 15.00, and broke my fast with a packet of hazelnuts. I don't feel tired, and I had no ill-effects at all. So I am bemused. Every diabetic I have known were all obliged to eat regularly throughout the day, to avoid fatigue, and/or fainting. As a result, I am going to seek a second-opinion on this.

I will keep posted in case anyone is feeling like me.

PS. I have just noticed that you visit the website 'Green Smoothies'. I hope no one suggests I consume a green-smoothie. I don't think I could face that. You are a better soul than me Brunnaria!

Cheers.
Phub (John)

Hi,

As @Brunneria said, it takes years of high BS for complications to appear, and a long period of high BS for symptoms to appear. I had no symptoms whatsoever when I was diagnosed. None. I never have had, at any time. Yet my HbA1c was 53 and I was diagnosed as Type 2. I didn't and don't see myself as ill. I am not ill. The symptoms you speak of about eating regularly throughout the day to avoid fatigue or fainting apply mainly to uncontrolled diabetics or those on insulin. Having said that, it is a good idea to spread meals out evenly for good control.

I hope you aren't being a bit of an ostrich about this. Do seek a second opinion, and ask what all your previous results were.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I reckon you have fallen in the pre-diabetic range (42<=x<48) and they want to put you on drugs... (I Please get your numbers from the surgery. With the changes you have made to your diet you will probably drop and another HbA1c will have you back in the normal range and you can get on with your life with your new diet.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only symptom I had when diagnosed (apart for being overweight) was having been extremely tired all the time for the past several years. My doctor blamed this on my weight, and I'd put it down to old age! I've always been a fairly heavy drinker of water which can obviously result in frequentish visits to the loo, so hadn't ever seen any change there. It was only a routine blood test that alerted my doctor to request further tests to check me for diabetes.

I'd agree that you ought to test now since you've got a meter - you've had an early warning call and at least you can be carrying on with some positive preventative actions now - don't throw away this opportunity.

Robbity

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Neuropathy :-(
I had my diagnosis for type 2 seven days ago...........
Generally, I fell well, I am mobile, and I can miss a meal now and then without any ill-effects. So I would like to know whether or not I really do have T2............
Let's see if diet really can rid me of these damning readings. My next blood test is due in three months, so we shall discover!
Hi John - even if you bring your HbA1c level down to that of a non-diabetic it will not mean you are not diabetic.

If you have a blood glucose meter there are a couple of tests you can do yourself to check if you may be diabetic:

Fasting blood sugar levels - after 8 hours of not eating, non-diabetics will be in the range 3.9 to 5.5 mmol/l

Blood sugar level 2 hours after a meal (include carbohydrates) - non-diabetics will be under 7.8 mmol/l

Phub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Hi Folks.

I would like to thank everyone for the interest shown and for the advice given.
I am still hesitant to describe myself as a diabetic, but I will play the game as asked by my GP.

I want to lose weight anyhow, to make my daily life more dignified, and more enjoyable.

Logindetails:

I decided to do a test at 19.50 today. This was just about two hours after my evening meal; which included a small portion of desert grapes. My reading was 7.6. I will do another test tomorrow morning when I rise.

My meter was provided with ten blood strips, and ten needles. Do I need to change the needle each time, or can I risk using them more than once? Obviously the strips are to be discarded after use.

Thanks again folks.
Have fun and mind how you go out there.

Phub (John)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Folks.

I would like to thank everyone for the interest shown and for the advice given.
I am still hesitant to describe myself as a diabetic, but I will play the game as asked by my GP.

I want to lose weight anyhow, to make my daily life more dignified, and more enjoyable.

Logindetails:

I decided to do a test at 19.50 today. This was just about two hours after my evening meal; which included a small portion of desert grapes. My reading was 7.6. I will do another test tomorrow morning when I rise.

My meter was provided with ten blood strips, and ten needles. Do I need to change the needle each time, or can I risk using them more than once? Obviously the strips are to be discarded after use.

Thanks again folks.
Have fun and mind how you go out there.

Phub (John)

You are supposed to change the needle every test.
I don't think anyone does... I change it about every couple of months. :happy:
Never had a problem.

If you've only got 10 strips to play with, I encourage you to go for it.

Have a good portion of toast in the morning. A cinnamon bun. Or a large bowl of cereal... Something really carby.
If you are diabetic, one meal won't do any harm (it is the sustained high BG, or repeated high spikes that do the harm).
If you aren't diabetic, then it's a proper test.

In case you don't know, test just before eating. Then at 1hr (probably around the peak), then again at 2 hrs. If it is still high, then test again at 3 hrs.

One meal won't be definitive. You would need to test different foods, including meals that you ate, at portion sizes you are used to, but with so few strips, you can at least test a couple of meals properly.

:)

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Controversial question John :wideyed: but I change my finger pricker needle when it starts to hurt.

logindetails

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
.......One meal won't be definitive. You would need to test different foods, including meals that you ate, at portion sizes you are used to, but with so few strips, you can at least test a couple of meals properly.

:)

Not to disagree with you Brunneria but if John has a carby meal then tests 2 hours later to find his glucose level is sky high that should set alarm bells ringing. No need to test different foods at this stage just repeat the test after the next carby meal.

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Phub when I was diagnosed in 2007 my fasting bs were 15.7. I too was in denial as I felt well and was energetic. I didn't feel any different and I certainly didn't feel ill. The only thing I noticed was a rapid weight loss of almost 2 stone in 8 weeks, which I relished, rather than questioned. I had none of the thirst, excessive trips to the loo etc that are often reported.

At every annual DN review I challenged whether I was really diabetic as I felt so well and had no symptoms and every time the answer came back that my fasting bs were 15.7 at diagnosis. To be honest it meant very little and then suddenly without warning, triggered I believe by trauma, I was very very poorly and needed medication and to look at lifestyle changes. There is something called a honeymoon period and maybe this is what you are experiencing, along with perhaps a little denial? Blood tests don't lie.

You are one of the lucky ones. Its been caught early and you have time to adjust your lifestyle and you've found us. This forum will encourage you, educate and inspire you. Give yourself time to come to terms with the diagnosis but please don't waste time.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not to disagree with you Brunneria but if John has a carby meal then tests 2 hours later to find his glucose level is sky high that should set alarm bells ringing. No need to test different foods at this stage just repeat the test after the next carby meal.

That's what I meant - perhaps I didn't make it clear. He's only got 10 strips, and he's used some of them already.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

A non diabetic will spike at about an hour after a carby meal but will be back down to under 6.6 at about 2 hours. A type 2 will also probably spike at about 1 hour but, although dropping slightly, will still be high at 2 hours and 3 hours.

Pilgrim22

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
animal cruelty
@Phub. If your GP has diagnosed you as diabetic, you are entitled to free prescriptions, not only for diabetic meds, but for all. You are entitled to free strips. (Might have a fight for those though, depends on your GP)