Sugar Free AND Aspartame Free ?!

K

Kat100

Well tonight I had one of the Dark Chocolate Chip Oat Biscuits and have to say they are very nice, they are not too sweet but still full of flavour, definitely worth purchasing Kat if you fancy a change from your digestive biscuit.
Hi @noblehead I am going to get some very soon ...they sound lovely ....
I have just eaten one of those 9 bars as I had a very lite supper ...that is nice as well , I think I read of another member enjoying them .....
Again low sugar ....I still look at low sugar ...carbs medium ...sometimes low ..
But the cheese ones ..well I am addicted to,cheese ...not in vast amounts ...I do the lighter version but gosh I enjoy cheese and biscuits to ...
It is out with the digestives very soon ...I know when I need a little snack and that was the sort of thing I was looking for ...
Glad you enjoyed your biscuit...your wife mrs noblehead did well with the shopping :) thank you again yum x

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm assuming you're only looking for a list of normally sweetened foods like cakes, biscuits, jam, etc? Otherwise the list of sugar/aspartame free food is endless.

Robbity

World Hereafter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm assuming you're only looking for a list of normally sweetened foods like cakes, biscuits, jam, etc? Otherwise the list of sugar/aspartame free food is endless.

Robbity

hi Robbity.

yes, that's indeed what I meant, and I'm sorry to all if I didn't make that clear enough at the start of the thread... tho' I thought the "sugar free" bit of the thread title was enough to indicate it was for foods which would otherwise be sweet or sugary or such 'treats'!

Thanks for your post, I hope it's clearer now what this thread is for.

:)

rowan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
hello all :)
Also, I just wanted to quickly highlight (as many people I chat to in the 'real world' are still blissfully unaware) that Aspartame goes/has gone under several different names (disguises) around the world, including:

Aspartamine, Acesulfame-k, Alitame, Acesulfame potassium, Ace-K, Neotame, Canderel, Equal, E951, Tropicana Slim, NutraSweet, Sanecta, Sunett, Sweet one, Twin Sweet... and more!

Acesulfame-k ? I looked into that when I discovered no-sugar Vimto doesn't have aspartame but does have Acesulfame-k and couldn't find a link betweem them. BUT apart from causing tumours in animal tests I found this
"Acesulfame K stimulates insulin secretion in a dose dependent fashion thereby possibly aggravating reactive hypoglycemia ("low blood sugar attacks")."
I've had 2 glasses of it over the last few days and have also had a couple of unexplained spikes. can't remember the times and days of any of them but i wouldn't be surprised if they coincided! Bang goes my vimto treat, not risking it again! :(

richard0201

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good post. I researched and read many publications of how damaging that stuff is to the body especially on a cellular level. I was heavily addicted to it for many years and to be honest I'm sure its why I got diabetes in the first place. Check these bad boys out: Yum yum :D I bought a pack today and another three different packs of sugar free bikkies :p

Choc%20chip%20SUGAR%20FREE.jpg
Hi all. I have just joined Diabetes UK and so come to this thread quite late. I lived in Spain for 10 years until 2013 and regularly bought Gullon sugar free digestives at my local Consum supermarket. Price was very little more than regular digestives. Now in the UK I cannot find a shop I can go to to buy them and so buy them from "Sugarless Treats" online, of course. This is an expensive way of doing it!

Any ideas?

newtoallthis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi folks have discovered today in M&S a really nice sugar free pink cranberry lemonade and a sugar free cloudy lemonade neither have aspartame or any of the other aliases aspartame can be described as.

Really refreshing and actually doesn't have that artificial sweetener taste you get with a lot of other sugar free drinks.

Would be great to see some more posts of food items as it would be nice to have stuff I can stick up on for snacks as that's the bit I struggle with.

Reactions: 4 people

anne61

We got the biscuits online and my mum brought some back from Majorca. There us a stall on Bolton market which also does sugar free biscuits

Scottish Mum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I've been experimenting with making things by using stevia and agave syrup for ingredients. Has anyone else got experience of using those re blood sugar levels. Tonights Stevia cheesecake did not raise my blood at all which was positive.

leah60

Hi Brazza where do you get these biscuits please ......thanks for sharing .kat
Believe it or not I buy these biscuits from the 99p shop. I stock up when they are in stock. You can also buy them on-line but they are more expensive.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Hi folks have discovered today in M&S a really nice sugar free pink cranberry lemonade and a sugar free cloudy lemonade neither have aspartame or any of the other aliases aspartame can be described as.

Really refreshing and actually doesn't have that artificial sweetener taste you get with a lot of other sugar free drinks.

Would be great to see some more posts of food items as it would be nice to have stuff I can stick up on for snacks as that's the bit I struggle with.

Can you list what ingredients are in these bottles then please? I'm trying to find something besides water, milk n coffee that is totally without any artificial sweeteners at all as it appears I am allergic to them. Just interested to find ingredients that are replacing "aspartame" and seeing if I have the same bad reactions...

WheelieG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When I gave up smoking I chewed sugar free gum and always had diarrhoea and then I gave that up and put on weight and started drinking diet cordial and fizzy drinks and noticed that the gum and the drinks had one common ingredient and that was phenylalanine so I have been trying to find things that are diet without that in but the nearest I can find is No Added Sugar drinks which still have the hidden sugars from the fruit but non artificially added afterwards but obviously these still have sugars in them! Can someone help with things available in the UK because all the things so far listed I only see available in USA!

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
When I gave up smoking I chewed sugar free gum and always had diarrhoea and then I gave that up and put on weight and started drinking diet cordial and fizzy drinks and noticed that the gum and the drinks had one common ingredient and that was phenylalanine so I have been trying to find things that are diet without that in but the nearest I can find is No Added Sugar drinks which still have the hidden sugars from the fruit but non artificially added afterwards but obviously these still have sugars in them! Can someone help with things available in the UK because all the things so far listed I only see available in USA!
I wonder if that chewing gum had xylitol as a sweetener (its known for its ahem - laxative qualities!)

Socair

hello all :)

Be interesting to see how many food and drink items we can currently find/buy which are both Sugar Free AND Aspartame free, and to create a list here so we can all add to it, and refer to it.......Also, I just wanted to quickly highlight (as many people I chat to in the 'real world' are still blissfully unaware) that Aspartame goes/has gone under several different names (disguises) around the world, including:

Aspartamine, Acesulfame-k, Alitame, Acesulfame potassium, Ace-K, Neotame, Canderel, Equal, E951, Tropicana Slim, NutraSweet, Sanecta, Sunett, Sweet one, Twin Sweet... and more!

So, I will start the list off below ... please add any sugar free products you find, food or drink, as long as they contain NO Aspartame (or any of its other names). Would be helpful too if you could add which shops stock the item, and country (as Forum is global) .

Many thanks :happy:

If it a product has natural sugars I do not find that a particular concern humans have been eating sugar for hundreds of if not thousands of years and someof us are quite able to be sensible about it and do not need interfering governments making up money grabbing taxes which are encouraging manufactures to put anything in food and drinks that will help them avoid sgar tax.

My particular interest is for a squash or cordial ..preferably concentrated that contains No artificial colours, NO Aspartame NO Acesulfame K, and NO Sucralose. and as few preservatives as possible. and help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Socair

Before we get caught up in mass hysteria and give up everything with artificial sweeteners perhaps it would be a good idea to read this .... link to the so called information about asparteme ...... I know we have complaints about the NHS and their Eatwell Guide but the references in this article sound respectable.

As well as all the negative things you can hear or read about aspartem you seem to have overlooked that its also been said that Apartame breaks down in the body to form formaldehyde which was used in every school biology lab in the UK at one time. It was not even for consumption but has a blanket ban on it.

You can choose to hear and take careful note of the negative things you hear about Aspartame and the other chemicals that are similar and have similar effects but named differently, you camn also chose to ensure neithe ryourself or your family never come into contact with it again ..of course you can choos e those things or of course you could choose to be stupid... your choice.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Making an informed choice and not overreacting to a possible risk is hardly being stupid. We face risks every day from chemicals in our food, some of which occur naturally, and have to weigh up how seriously to take the risk. The tiny amount of aspartame in an occasional sugar free drink doesn't seem to me to be worth being paranoid about.