newly diagnosed & confused

Tal

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That is unusual. It is normal to follow this up with another fasting BG test and an HbA1c within a few days in order to confirm diagnosis. One single fasting test is unreliable because of the reasons you gave. I think your doctor may have jumped the gun, but no harm in being diagnosed diabetic. You get put on the care pathway with annual retinal eye screening, foot checks, and regular HbA1c tests, so not all bad!

That's what I suspected. Thanks for confirming it. I think he was a bit sheepish when I saw him after 3 months and showed him my BG readings. Next time I see him I'll tell him I'm glad it was picked up early, as you say. I'm still puzzled by the 7.6 mmol/L fasting. Cortisol??

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's what I suspected. Thanks for confirming it. I think he was a bit sheepish when I saw him after 3 months and showed him my BG readings. Next time I see him I'll tell him I'm glad it was picked up early, as you say. I'm still puzzled by the 7.6 mmol/L fasting. Cortisol??

Any number of reasons, but most likely stress due to impending blood test and getting to the surgery, and a liver glucose dump.

Reactions: 3 people
C

chris lowe

Hi Jayne and welcome. I would have said your blood test was borderline. After my first test I had to do a fasting blood test followed by a bottle of full sugar lucozade (yuk) then a second test to check the levels again. This is the test that confirmed I was type 2. Your practice doesn't sound too supportive, is there another one in the are you could transfer to? It's important to get the right tests done. For carb counting I bought a Collins Little Gem Calorie and Carb counter(I got it from Amazon for about £1.50) which has been invaluable. You get to know the carb content of your usual foods, but anything out of the ordinary can be easily checked and it's small enough to go in a bag or pocket. To start with, test before breakfast (fasting) then 2 hours after. You'll soon get to know what food will send your sugars soaring. There's lots of advice/recipes/support on this website. Don't feel that you're asking a silly question. You bet that at some point when we were first diagnosed we probably wondered the same thing. Good luck

esmeralda67

Hi Jayne

Sorry to hear about your problems - you're right, it is all very confusing and it's not always easy to source the information you need.

Please don't give up though. Get yourself a carb counter book and follow this website, the forums are helpful and supportive. You can then start to take charge of your own health with confidence.

Good luck.

K

Kat100

Hi just flying in to say hello ( happy Halloween ) :rolleyes::D:p And welcome ...
You are getting great support here , so I will just fly off again but I will be back ...

I have just been in my neighbours front garden which is full of pumpkins and tea lites ...chat soon Kat

Reactions: 2 people

wizardo

It is impossible to avoid carbs, unless you eat nothing but fat and protein (and even then, some of the protein breaks down to glucose).

Even very low carb diets provide carbs. The problem isn't whether to eat carbs, or not, it is working out how much carbohydrate a person can eat without it pushing their blood glucose up too high for too long.

That's about it. No sugar, no carbohydrates, eat protein, dairy, berries, salads and plenty of exercise. What better than a full English breakfast, skip the toast though. If you are Type 2, try and get your blood sugar levels down without the sulfonylurea tablets (gliclazide etc.). The red and dry white wines are fine too. Can't say I've suffered too much since being diagnosed.

Reactions: 2 people

bkr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A good read & some great info, this is a good place to be!

I hope you find your way ok & get to grips with what suits/works best for you, Im in the same boat - just over a month & its mindblowing! Steep learning curve but trying to keep positive.

Reactions: 3 people