Can anyone let me have a daily carb menu?

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
I am struggling at the moment on 120 carbs a day can't seem to go lower. I have just had the results of my BT and although good. I still need to loose another 10 lbs.
I take 1 500mg Metformin a day plus diet. Supposed to exercise but waiting for an op for a replacement right knee. Left knee done 6 years ago. and this leaves me in severe pain when walking. Just over a bout of shingles as well which knocked me back health wise.

I could really do with ideas of how you all manage on 50 -100 carbs...what do you eat for each meal? Do you snack?
Diagnosed April14, have lost 2 1/2 stone but weight static since Dec 14 .

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Have a look at the 'what have you eaten today' thread for some inspiration.

I find its best to start off with a no carb breakfast. I have so much more stamina, all day, that way.
I'm very low carbing at the moment, so my breakfasts are either crustless quiche, bacon and eggs or creamy/bulletproof coffee, most of the time.

Work lunches are either cold meat, cheese, pork scratchings or crustless quiche. Or a combo of them. I might also add olives.

Snacks ATM are 9bars. They are a bit higher carb than I would like, but they never spike my BG because they have so much seed and nut in them, so I kind of dismiss the carbs. Besides, they are delicious. I also make kale crisps, which are gorgeous, green leafy veg.

Dinner is where I fill up on veg that has been missing all day. :) And it's usually very green - courgettes, green beans, broccoli, maybe a pepper, sometimes cauliflower... Huge portions, alongside whatever meat or fish were having. I used to always have berries and cream for pud, but my appetite is shifting, and I forget them half the time! :wideyed:

Since I'm very low carbing, I eat more fat than most people, and might stir fry my veg in coconut or rapeseed oil, or scatter grated cheese on top.

Been doing this a while now, and it still astonishes me how great it makes me feel, and what a satisfying way of eating it is.

I don't touch any grains, or potato, or any other starchy veg. May reintroduce small portions of root veg in a month or so, but grains never work for me. Heartburn and ridiculously disproportionate spikes. It's just not worth it. :)

Reactions: 6 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Hi,

Have a look at the 'what have you eaten today' thread for some inspiration.

I find its best to start off with a no carb breakfast. I have so much more stamina, all day, that way.
I'm very low carbing at the moment, so my breakfasts are either crustless quiche, bacon and eggs or creamy/bulletproof coffee, most of the time.

Work lunches are either cold meat, cheese, pork scratchings or crustless quiche. Or a combo of them. I might also add olives.

Snacks ATM are 9bars. They are a bit higher carb than I would like, but they never spike my BG because they have so much seed and nut in them, so I kind of dismiss the carbs. Besides, they are delicious. I also make kale crisps, which are gorgeous, green leafy veg.

Dinner is where I fill up on veg that has been missing all day. :) And it's usually very green - courgettes, green beans, broccoli, maybe a pepper, sometimes cauliflower... Huge portions, alongside whatever meat or fish were having. I used to always have berries and cream for pud, but my appetite is shifting, and I forget them half the time! :wideyed:

Since I'm very low carbing, I eat more fat than most people, and might stir fry my veg in coconut or rapeseed oil, or scatter grated cheese on top.

Been doing this a while now, and it still astonishes me how great it makes me feel, and what a satisfying way of eating it is.

I don't touch any grains, or potato, or any other starchy veg. May reintroduce small portions of root veg in a month or so, but grains never work for me. Heartburn and ridiculously disproportionate spikes. It's just not worth it. :)

We must be related :) That just about sums up what I eat during the day.

BTW, what should be a reasonable daily limit of red wine? Any clues?

Thanks Mike

Reactions: 5 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We must be related :) That just about sums up what I eat during the day.

BTW, what should be a reasonable daily limit of red wine? Any clues?

Thanks Mike
Now that, I can't tell you... Cos I don't enjoy alcohol.

What are the guideline number of units a week? Divided by 7?
Except that isn't it a question on the 'R u an alchoholic' polls to ask 'do u drink every day?
Maybe divide by 5 and have the weekend off.
Or the other way round.
Sorry, I'm probably just confusing things with my ignorance!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am struggling at the moment on 120 carbs a day can't seem to go lower. I have just had the results of my BT and although good. I still need to loose another 10 lbs.
I take 1 500mg Metformin a day plus diet. Supposed to exercise but waiting for an op for a replacement right knee. Left knee done 6 years ago. and this leaves me in severe pain when walking. Just over a bout of shingles as well which knocked me back health wise.

I could really do with ideas of how you all manage on 50 -100 carbs...what do you eat for each meal? Do you snack?
Diagnosed April14, have lost 2 1/2 stone but weight static since Dec 14 .

What carbs are you eating in that 120g? Could you just halve the portions and replace with something else? Do you count your calories? It is a good idea and if you don't, you may get a shock. The more calories you consume, the more you need to burn in order to lose weight, and if exercise is a no-no at the moment you will need less calories.

Reactions: 2 people

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Doing very strict low carb at the moment with less then 10 gram per day, including carbs in coffee. I ususally only eat once per day and have my carbs then, if any snacks usually cheese without carbs or have cheese as dessert. The carbs I have are kimchi, kkakdugi (korean fermented cabbage or daikon), sprouting broccoli, egg (yes they have a small amount of carbs), cabbage, green salad, rocket and a tbsp or two of jersey cream.

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
What carbs are you eating in that 120g? Could you just halve the portions and replace with something else? Do you count your calories? It is a good idea and if you don't, you may get a shock. The more calories you consume, the more you need to burn in order to lose weight, and if exercise is a no-no at the moment you will need less calories.

I am on 1200/1400 cals a day. I am busy looking throught "what have you eaten today" thread and I can see I will have to alter my eating habits.
I start off with porridge ( rolled oats) made with water ( microwaved) for lunch I usually have 1 sunflower/pumpkin seed bread toasted with mushrooms and cherry toms. Maybe a yoghurt and fruit for desert. Evening meal either, pork; mince; fish with mixed veg with salad fixings and snacks of pistachio. walnut if hungry. I do like a cup of something hot before bed, usually milk. Don't drink, I do keep a food diary.

HbA1c April 13- 76; Sept 14- 38
Chol 3.9 April 13 and Sept 14.
Fatty Liver April 13 - 538; Sept 14-160.
I don't check on bloods, Dr. and DN said not necessary.
1 500mg Metformin only.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder if your portions are too big. Carbs are the culprits for both BS and weight. If you reduce your portions of carbs by half and add some more protein and fats, it may help. Contrary to popular opinion, extra fats will not make you fat providing you lower your carbs. Maybe 1400 calories is too much for you, being fairly sedentary. When I was losing weight I stuck to 1200 calories including 60g carbs a day. I made up the deficit in calories lost by reducing carbs by increasing my good fats (butter, FF yogurt, mayonnaise, eggs, and by not being afraid of frying in rapeseed oil.) I didn't go overboard, just made up my calories to 1200.

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @HazelD, I noticed that you have fatty liver which I had, and only recently has it reverted back to a healthy state. I had fatty liver for two years and it only went away after eliminating bread, pizza, chocolate and other carbs such as porridge or anything that made my blood sugar high---did a lower carb approach. Basically I replaced bread, rice and pasta with green veg for meals and refrained from eating sweets and drinking fizzy sodas and juices. Hopefully you will see better results too in the future x best of luck!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @HazelD, I noticed that you have fatty liver which I had, and only recently has it reverted back to a healthy state. I had fatty liver for two years and it only went away after eliminating bread, pizza, chocolate and other carbs such as porridge or anything that made my blood sugar high---did a lower carb approach. Basically I replaced bread, rice and pasta with green veg for meals and refrained from eating sweets and drinking fizzy sodas and juices. Hopefully you will see better results too in the future x best of luck!
It's good to have you back!

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather

I don't have fizzy drinks, cakes, sweets. . I likeeggs and cheese but both hate me! I cook using slow cooker, halogen, microwave...use olive oils. Eat butter and loads of vegs. Gone to using a smaller plate. Have fruit...but admit I love bread! buy Morrison sunflower and pumpkin seed which is 13 carbs and 123 cals a slice.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Hi @HazelD I am confused :confused: You say that you are struggling to eat lower carb then say "I don't check on bloods, Dr. and DN said not necessary." Surely the best way to find the optimum number of carbs for yourself is to eat something then test your bg?

Reactions: 7 people

alliebee

Hi @HazelD. I'm low carb high fat too. I had 2 stone to lose and on this way of eating I lost it in 12 weeks. I just reached goal ..I started off on 20g of carb a day. As I wanted to get a good start and bring my bgs down I increased after a while to 35. And then to 40g.. the weight fell off whilst I was enjoying eggs n bacon. Roast meats. I bought some low carb cookbooks to help and I can honestly say im never hungry and my evil carb cravings just went. There are loads of ideas on here too.I wish you well. There is also a lot on line recipes galore if you look

Reactions: 6 people

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
Hi @HazelD I am confused :confused: You say that you are struggling to eat lower carb then say "I don't check on bloods, Dr. and DN said not necessary." Surely the best way to find the optimum number of carbs for yourself is to eat something then test your bg?
I have never tested bg....Dr and DN say we don't need you to do that, its not necessary.....?

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They told me that also - and for three years at least my BS has been out of control - since finding this site I have bought a meter and started to test and already I have seen a huge improvement in my bs levels. I know what food I can and can't eat. I feel more in control than I every had since I was diagnosed.

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...