notstrong81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
●Having Diabetes :-(
●People thinking I have diabetes because I eat to much :-(
I have recently received my new Bayer Contour Next USB BG monitor which seems to be a hole lot better and more accurate compared to my GlucoseRX machine it's more portable and quicker and can hold more data and you van input more info too the problem I'm having is getting my test strips changed on my prescription and there quite costly to purchase. AnyOne else had the same problem or been able to get there's changed.

Any help or advice would be great

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
My gp didn't have a problem prescribing the strips for the Contour Next meter when I used it, didn't know they were expensive and just thought they were a similar price to all the other meter strips.

Might be worth having a chat with your DSN about this, they may write to your gp and ask them to add the strips to your prescription.

Reactions: 2 people

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The Bayer strips are not as expensive as the jazz meter I was given by the gp. I said to him I had received a bayer contour &he said store it in case my jazz goes wrong & he would give me the Bayer strips.

notstrong81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I will try again and see if I can push it

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You don't say who supplied the monitor, but if it was by a health professional I don't think you should have any trouble changing your strips. I was given the Bayer Contour Next meter by the hospital almost a year ago and I love it. although its not the USB version, The strips are expensive - about £25 a pot of 50, but I do get 100 per month on prescription. My DN when she saw my meter did say she wondered why the hospital had given me that particular brand as she could have given me a different one, but didn't say which one. She quite happily went on to prescribe 100 strips per month for it. I buy the ones I need in between online.

Good luck with the change-over

Reactions: 3 people

notstrong81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I had it from diabetes UK through a survey I had completed I have not seen my GP yet as I'm due next week I agree with you the monitor is far better than the GlucoseRX version I was given years ago the data you can input is great and it can see trends and spikes and sudden dips which makes it far easier to handle my insulin intake

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

I was given a Countour meter on NHS and they supplied the strips so it shouldn't be a problem, maybe depends on the area.

I just switched mine to Freestyle Optimum for my new meter. All I did was literally email the GP and ask them to swap it and they did.
What has your GP practice said?

iHs

Hi

Although patient choice needs to be respected, where the prescribing of teststrips is concerned, many CCGs are encouraging GPs to prescribe teststrips that are a lower price so it might not be possible to get GP to change from GlucoRX to Contour unless there is a specific reason for wanting the change.

Good luck with the request

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I had it from diabetes UK through a survey I had completed I have not seen my GP yet as I'm due next week I agree with you the monitor is far better than the GlucoseRX version I was given years ago the data you can input is great and it can see trends and spikes and sudden dips which makes it far easier to handle my insulin intake

It doesn't matter where the meter comes from your Dr should still prescribe the strips, however as iHs has pointed out above, some gp surgeries are now moving towards using one meter manufacturer due to costs, but if you can argue your case for wanting to keep the Contour meter they should be flexible and allow you to continue using the meter.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is the sort of thing that is being distributed to GP surgeries around the country in an effort to cut the cost of strips http://www.barkingdagenhamccg.nhs.u...ations for GP practices APC final version.pdf

I'm a Type 2 and had a One Touch machine with a limited amount strips on prescription. My meter was changed and I initially had a Glucolab - terrible inaccurate machine. I've now got a Wavesense Jazz, which although accurate has an annoying beep when you give it blood (you can't turn this off).

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Argued my case for accu chek mobile with DN. She gave me one and faxed doctors surgery to change script. Only problem is restricted to 100 per month. But always put repeat in early and get them. Just get word perfect with a good case and rehearse answers to negative health care professionals reply.
Got bored and did the send me a free meter bit when first diagnosed in February.I think I got it up to ten. !. Three sitting unused in cupboard waiting there turn.

notstrong81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
[UPDATE] I have been to see my Diabetic GP to and to have my HB1 bloods done (Killing to birds). Well it's now looking hopefull that my HB1 will come back at a normal range and a bigger update my GP has changed my test strips to the Bayer Contour Next USB strips Bonus and a happy diabetic... He gave me the talk about our area supply the GlucoseRX so I said I am happy to happy a prescription each month and pay for it.. He then sorted changed his mind and said no no you shouldn't need to pay for these and changes them and them on my repeat #Happy

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
As a note, the Bayer Contour Next strips cost the NHS much the same as all the others. Around £15.50 per pack.

EwokBishop

I got a contour next USB from the same freebie survey and my GP was happy to change my script with no restrictions. BUT at my last appointment for bloods I was told everyone was being changed onto Glucomen meters as they had a contract which allowed them to get the strips much cheaper.
Although I'm not totally happy (new meter is the size of a brick!) I'm giving it a go because I cost the NHS enough as it is :/