How can you be sure you have diabetes?

ne0h

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Think about the fact that all you have to go on is the word of someone who in turn is told by someone that your blood may be abnormal. The fact is that it could all be a mistake and you would never know.
The only way you can be cast iron sure you've got diabetes is if you personally see your blood drawn and then tested in the lab. Too many mistakes happen to be sure that they even tested the right blood.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
As I'm type 1 and had all of the symptoms and very unwell, I definitely am diabetic :(

Obviously mistakes do happen in the medical profession, so a second opinion would be the next step. Or get a pharmacist or your GP to do a finger prick test, so both of you would see the result.

Best wishes RRB

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Eh? Drink lucozade and test your own blood reaction if you don't trust doctors and lab technicians.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
welcome back @ne0h. Well I saw the doctor prick my finger on and get a reading of 24 mmol/l on his meter before he had me do a blood test. I had the classic signs of needing a hose whenever I was more than 5 feet from the toilet. So the blood test just gave me the confirmation I knew was correct. Now the question I have is why do they declare the diagnosis so fast but are so slow at removing it. I had one abnormal HbA1c and the rest have been normal - don;t you find that more unintelligible!

Let me now ask you a very simple question... is the fridge light on when the door is closed and you are not looking to see if it is off?

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well that's why I bought my own meter. So I could check that what they said was true, and then do something about it so that my HbA1c was lower again.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My meter tells me that my responses to carbohydrates are not what I would consider normal. So I think I have independent confirmation of the several blood tests done at my surgery. What more do I need??

Robbity

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I had extreme thirst, weight loss, toilet trips every half hour and awful tiredness, all pointers to type 1 diabetes, although I didn't know it at the time until I seen my Dr.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I had extreme thirst, weight loss, toilet trips every half hour and awful tiredness, all pointers to type 1 diabetes, although I didn't know it at the time until I seen my Dr.
That is interesting @noblehead They are the same symptoms that I had and they classed me as T2.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
... and I had just turned a very young 49 year old :D
images

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Think about the fact that all you have to go on is the word of someone who in turn is told by someone that your blood may be abnormal. The fact is that it could all be a mistake and you would never know.
The only way you can be cast iron sure you've got diabetes is if you personally see your blood drawn and then tested in the lab. Too many mistakes happen to be sure that they even tested the right blood.
That's because it would be unethical to take away people'd medicine and watch if they die, and then go "Huh, looks like he was diabetic after all" when they're dead

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
That may be true if you only have one blood test done, but it's very unlikely that multiple tests over time would be all erroneously high, unless you are extremely paranoid.:hungover:

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Frankly, if you are thirsty, losing weight, your breath smells of pear drops and your blood sugars are high on prick tests or there are ketones and sugar in your urine, you have two options. One: accept the blood test might just be right. Two: see if you end up in a coma and die. I know which I prefer....

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Denial is normal after diagnosis since we all hope there has been a mistake or it's only a blip in our lives and we will be better tomorrow. Difficulty in accepting the diagnosis unless you can follow the testing process personally is a new one in my experience.

This is a short step away from being paranoid about the issue. The truth is that they probably have not made a mistake and you probably are diabetic and the health service is probably trying to help you.

Reactions: 6 people