Is today the day?

Butterflykeri

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I was diagnosed as diabetic just over 3 weeks ago, but they didn't know whether I was type 1 or 2. I was discharged from hospital after an overnight stay with a type 2 diagnosis with the view to exploring if I had type 1. They gave me metformin and gliclazide, but by less than a week later I was moved onto insulin therapy. Got my appointment today with the dsn so hoping the GAD antibody test results will be back for a definite diagnosis! Fingers crossed the results are there!

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
It must be so frustrating not knowing but all the best for your appointment today and good luck :)

Best wishes RRB

Butterflykeri

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you :) they've said it won't change treatment much since I'm already on insulin, will just change the way I learn to adjust it! But I would like to know what I am lol :)

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
I was diagnosed as diabetic just over 3 weeks ago, but they didn't know whether I was type 1 or 2. I was discharged from hospital after an overnight stay with a type 2 diagnosis with the view to exploring if I had type 1. They gave me metformin and gliclazide, but by less than a week later I was moved onto insulin therapy. Got my appointment today with the dsn so hoping the GAD antibody test results will be back for a definite diagnosis! Fingers crossed the results are there!
I went straight on insulin in hospital and nobody mentioned a type. I have inquired since but does not seem to be written down:(. Nobody appears to be worried about it. As you say, the treatment remains the same.

Butterflykeri

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you carb count then? And treat it as type 1? They said the way I adjust my insulin will be different depending in which type I am x

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't carb count as such. Just keep an eye on my intake. I am on a mixed insulin so not really supposed to make adjustments but I do. My by is around 5 to 7.5 before meals and around 7 to 8 first thing. Never told much about it. Just told to inject twice a day 20 units am. 10 units pm. So anywhere bet tween 16 to 22 and 7to 15. Depending on how naughty you are. :D

Butterflykeri

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Aaahhh I'm on a long acting and rapid insulin so this week have had to keep a diary of grams of carbs I've eaten so they can work out my ratio for being able to adjust it in the future.

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Aaahhh I'm on a long acting and rapid insulin so this week have had to keep a diary of grams of carbs I've eaten so they can work out my ratio for being able to adjust it in the future.
Then you will probably have a better idea then me. Never really been helped with diet except for nhs standard blurb. Never been advised much about insulin dose. Except for 'adjust accordingly' ?????? :cyclops:. This forum has been the place.to learn

Butterflykeri

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I am currently following their advice but am worried I'm consuming a lot of carbs and then having to have more insulin to cope! Think once I know my ratio to adjust I will attempt to lower my carbs :)

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Bread, potatoes, rice. Gosh I love them. Hard to cut down. I now don't have rice. I have wheat free bread at 10g carbs a slice. Potatoes are my downfall but working on it. Lunch today is cold beef and two fried eggs. Pickled onion and a slice of bread.
Not everybody's taste but good from a carb point of view and very tasty. Dinner tonight is pork stir fry with a small amount of noodle and lots of bean sprouts. You don't have to starve without carbs !

Butterflykeri

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Insulin
No I think that's what I need to get my head around! At the moment it's carbs with every meal, I'm averaging about 170g of carbs a day, would like to get it down quite a lot. Bit worried about what nurse will say as they keep pushing carbs!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If your confirmed as having type 1 diabetes then you should get your name down for a carb counting course such as DAFNE, they usually insist that you have had diabetes for 6 months before enrolling on a course, however the waiting times can be long so it's best to register now.

The following is a carb counting course similar to DAFNE, it covers all the basics and should help you get your bg control on track:

http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/