Prediabetes diagnosis

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Maybe try swimming? :cyclops: Weight lifting? I dunno. Sounds like you'll be okay even without much exercise.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would keep on doing what you are doing now if it is working, and it seems to be. Keep an eye on your levels but no need to go overboard with your testing.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I would keep on doing what you are doing now if it is working, and it seems to be. Keep an eye on your levels but no need to go overboard with your testing.

OK. Maybe I'll start rotating the testing as you suggested a couple of days ago. Just a little worried I'll miss something.

Apart from anything else, constant testing is proving rather expensive.

Reactions: 3 people

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is just my experience but as a prediabetic when I was testing in the early days I found it was bread that spiked me (didn't eat pasta or rice so don't know about them). I didn't eat any cakes or biscuits either. I cut out all the things I knew would spike me and tested the odd meal. I was testing regularly but was getting good levels and as you say it gets expensive and it wasn't really trlling me anything I didn't know.

when is your next Hba1c? I had my second one after 3 months and that told me I was on the right track.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
This is just my experience but as a prediabetic when I was testing in the early days I found it was bread that spiked me (didn't eat pasta or rice so don't know about them). I didn't eat any cakes or biscuits either. I cut out all the things I knew would spike me and tested the odd meal. I was testing regularly but was getting good levels and as you say it gets expensive and it wasn't really trlling me anything I didn't know.

when is your next Hba1c? I had my second one after 3 months and that told me I was on the right track.

Thanks, that's so reassuring.

No idea when next Hba1c is. In fact, my GP has given me no guidance whatsoever. Have taken everything into my own hands so far.

Bread and porridge seems to affect me most so far. This morning my reading was 5.9 before and after testing, so that's OK isn't it?

Reactions: 2 people

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
it took me a while to get my head round levels and spikes but as I saw my Hba1c go down it reassured me. I would say 5.9 is OK.

My GP suggested 3 months then after that I went back every 3 months and asked for an Hba1c and cholesterol test so I could keep track of it. Luckily they have agreed. This time I am wating 6 months! That is the only contact I have had with my GP and no guidance either.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have been testing now for just over two weeks. Recognising the foods which raise BS. Where do I go from here, please?

Sorry to be a while replying, but I have some happy distractions at the moment......

I have read to the end of the thread, to ensure I don't badly reiterate what others have said (there's nothing I disagree with), but did you find any foods raised your bloods more than others? And have you tested all your usual (pre-diagnosis) treats, like your KitKat or any other stuff you routinely ate? That is important.

I know I witter on about hammer cracking nuts, but I feel quite strongly for you.

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't test most of the things I ate pre diagnosis as I just stopped eating them. I stopped eating cereal, swapped to burgen bread and only eat 74/80% chocolate. I did test potatoes and can eat a couple no problem. My stomach is alot better since eating low carb so makes it easier to stop eating pasta, rice, flour etc.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sorry to be a while replying, but I have some happy distractions at the moment......

I have read to the end of the thread, to ensure I don't badly reiterate what others have said (there's nothing I disagree with), but did you find any foods raised your bloods more than others? And have you tested all your usual (pre-diagnosis) treats, like your KitKat or any other stuff you routinely ate? That is important.

I know I witter on about hammer cracking nuts, but I feel quite strongly for you.

Will be testing pasta this evening. I was planning on using a ready made jar of sauce, but that might well confuse the reading, so will stick with some olive oil on my pasta.

As far as my Kitkat treat goes, thought I'd start with one finger first.

As far as I can see from my food diary bread, porridge and anything in breadcrumbs have had the most effect with readings of 6.1/7.00, 5.7/7.7. Sweet potato seems ok'ish in very small portions. Have had a couple of high readings which are confusing as I'd eaten the same meal before with much less impact. As you have told me, other factors can influence this.

Can you confirm if 6.6 after 2 hours is acceptable?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Will be testing pasta this evening. I was planning on using a ready made jar of sauce, but that might well confuse the reading, so will stick with some olive oil on my pasta.

As far as my Kitkat treat goes, thought I'd start with one finger first.

As far as I can see from my food diary bread, porridge and anything in breadcrumbs have had the most effect with readings of 6.1/7.00, 5.7/7.7. Sweet potato seems ok'ish in very small portions. Have had a couple of high readings which are confusing as I'd eaten the same meal before with much less impact. As you have told me, other factors can influence this.

Can you confirm if 6.6 after 2 hours is acceptable?

:hungry:From "Blood Sugar 101" web site:

Post-Meal Blood Sugar (Postprandial)
Independent of what they eat, the blood sugar of a truly normal person is:

Under 120 mg/dl (6.6 mmol/L) one or two hours after a meal.

Most normal people are under 100 mg/dl (5.5 mmol/L) two hours after eating.

belmont97

Thanks. For the majority of the time we will be staying with my daughter so I'll have good control over food, seeing as I'll be doing most of the cooking, as usual!

Eating out in the US is another matter. We spend a great deal of time there so, by the time we go, I should have a pretty good idea of what to avoid.What with portion size and fast food, the US must be a diabetic time-bomb. Scary.
I went to the US the day after I was diagnosed diabetic by the "diabetic doctor" even though my hba1c was 45. However by going on a low/no carb diet I lost over a stone in weight and my hba1c latest test showed a reading of 38. So you can get yourself out of the diabetic zone. By the way which is the best finger pricker as I have two and I struggle to get blood from my finger. Also which finger is the best to use? I waste strips by not getting enough blood! Grateful for any suggestions.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I went to the US the day after I was diagnosed diabetic by the "diabetic doctor" even though my hba1c was 45. However by going on a low/no carb diet I lost over a stone in weight and my hba1c latest test showed a reading of 38. So you can get yourself out of the diabetic zone. By the way which is the best finger pricker as I have two and I struggle to get blood from my finger. Also which finger is the best to use? I waste strips by not getting enough blood! Grateful for any suggestions.

My Hba1c was 44 and I am classed as prediabetic. Still experimenting with foods at the moment, but generally cutting out the most obvious sugars. Am doing my very best to get out of diabetic zone and aim to keep it that way.

Whilst no expert on the matter, I am currently using Home Health UK 28G lancets which are compatible with the SD Codefree. My 'best' finger is my thumb. Strips are too expensive to waste!

LizFrog

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
image.jpg This is what I found on the Diabetes UK site, different to the 101 levels. Which is correct? So confused!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here's my take on it:

The thing you have to understand is that NHS guidelines have been around a while, are selected by a committee, and economic factors play a part (let's face it, the lower the diagnosis threshold and guidelines, the more it would cost the NHS to support, treat, educate and train all those diabetics and NHS staff). There is also a widespread expectation within the NHS that diabetes is progressive, leading to increased medication and complications that develop over time.

In contrast Jenny Ruhl, on the 101 website, constantly re-evaluates new research and uses that evidence to suggest blood glucose levels intended to minimise the chance of ever developing diabetic complications.

I choose to aim at the 101 suggested BG levels.

Of course, you should make up your own minds.

Last edited by a moderator:

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Here's my take on it:

The thing you have to understand is that NHS guidelines have been around a while, are selected by a committee, and economic factors play a part (let's face it, the lower the diagnosis threshold and guidelines, the more it would cost the NHS to support, educate and train all those diabetics). There is also a widespread expectation within the NHS that diabetes is progressive, leading to increased medication and complications that develop over time.

In contrast Jenny Ruhl, on the 101 website, constantly re-evaluates new research and uses that evidence to suggest blood glucose levels intended to minimise the chance of ever developing diabetic complications.

I choose to aim at the 101 suggested BG levels.

Of course, you should make up your own minds.
Glad you said minds. I have many. Do you have a link to her site. Google seems to give me links to people talking about her.

Lynn1

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Out of interest, how long did it take for you to reach a reading of 38?