Hello I am Silverfishes new to forum

Silverfishes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude, cruel and pompous people
I have been on insulin for type 2 (they think!) since January 2000, my millennium present, as I had suffered a stroke. Prior to that I had been on metformin/Gliclazide. My diabetes was detected during a well woman appointment. When I had some dental problems I attended the Bristol Dental hospital and the consultant said 'how long have you been diabetic.' I hadn't got round to telling them I was diabetic as I had only just been diagnosed! He said going the shrinkage in the cheek bones I had been diabetic for the past 20 years if not longer.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello and welcome. Does diabetes cause bone shrinkage in the mouth?

Reactions: 2 people

Silverfishes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hello and welcome. Does diabetes cause bone shrinkage in the mouth?
Hello mo53, that is what the chief consultant told me at my appointment. He did a radial xray and then during our discussion he said how long have you been diabetic. When I replied I have just developed ithe said oh no you haven't! So I must have had it for years. He gave me the grim news that the upper jaw bone had already started shrinking .and my teeth would eventually loosen! Lovely hey, a diabetic toothless crone. I hope I am doing this correctly and don't lose the posts.

Reactions: 4 people

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your posts look fine to me silverfish. That is really interesting. I too have lost a great deal of bone but was only diagnosed in July.

Silverfishes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Your posts look fine to me silverfish. That is really interesting. I too have lost a great deal of bone but was only diagnosed in July.
I was quite upset as I am quite 'manic' about attending the dental appointments every 6 months, plus the normal xrays so it came as a horrid surprise as you can imagine! I am taking quite a time to get back to the post so I am going via the alert I receive........

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I seem to have become philosophical about these things. In the last 18 months there has been one thing after another.:)

Reactions: 6 people

Silverfishes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I seem to have become philosophical about these things. In the last 18 months there has been one thing after another.:)
Yep! You think nothing else can go wrong, how silly of us. I have now been told I have a 'high white blood cell count' (I have raised a post in ask a question about that. I know it can be caused by too much alcohol - nope to that. Low grade fever - quite possible and uncle tom cobley and all so will just have to wait for the blood test/results. I hate them as I have very uncooperative veins.....

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome to the forum Silverfishes.

I had no idea diabetes could cause a shrinkage in the cheek bones! We live and learn.

Reactions: 4 people

Silverfishes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Welcome to the forum Silverfishes.

I had no idea diabetes could cause a shrinkage in the cheek bones! We live and learn.
Hello Bluetit, I am getting worried now....I do hope that consultant knew what he was talking about!!! Well he must have done as I hadn't told him I was diabetic :doctor:

Reactions: 3 people

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yep! You think nothing else can go wrong, how silly of us. I have now been told I have a 'high white blood cell count' (I have raised a post in ask a question about that. I know it can be caused by too much alcohol - nope to that. Low grade fever - quite possible and uncle tom cobley and all so will just have to wait for the blood test/results. I hate them as I have very uncooperative veins.....
I also have uncooperative veins, was told to drink a lot as much as you can of water 1/2 hour or so before any blood test will help. It has helped me tremedously, no more problems trying to find the veins.

Silverfishes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I also have uncooperative veins, was told to drink a lot as much as you can of water 1/2 hour or so before any blood test will help. It has helped me tremedously, no more problems trying to find the veins.

Oh wow, that is the first help I have had regarding this problem. I am going back years and years, when husband was in the RAF all the nurses just said, 'Oh you have slippery veins' i.e they inserted the needle and my veins just slipped away! It had been suggested that I 'warm my arms up' but that was it. Will get my big glass of water ready for Monday and see if it helps. Thank you very much:)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, and welcome!

(I didnt know about the cheekbone thing either, but it does make sense - apparently dentists can often identify diabetics by their gum disease and gum recedation (if that is a word!). :happy:

Silverfishes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi, and welcome!

(I didnt know about the cheekbone thing either, but it does make sense - apparently dentists can often identify diabetics by their gum disease and gum recedation (if that is a word!). :happy:

Hi Brunneria, Yes they are clever as are the opticians! Thank you for putting 'cheekbones' as that is exactly what I meant but I think I said 'jaw bones' which may have confused everyone! . Wish my new dentist was as updated with things as she told me I had 'severe gum disease' as I bled profusely during my last scale & polish! My teeth never bleed when I brush them but she was just a bit brutal and forgot I am on blood thinners due to the stroke! Next visit, fortnight later (which I had to pay for again!) no bleeding, kept checking her computer, check gums, check computer......no bleeding. I was so cross as she said you need to book in with hygienist (privately £40.00 per visit - ££20.00 cancellation fee!!!) Turns out no appointments available so she will do it at NHS rates herself (I need to go every 3 months according to her.) We get stitched up all sorts of ways I feel sometimes. Sorry......Anyway if the word doesn;t exist we can make anything up we like on here surely Brunneria????;)

daddys1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh wow, that is the first help I have had regarding this problem. I am going back years and years, when husband was in the RAF all the nurses just said, 'Oh you have slippery veins' i.e they inserted the needle and my veins just slipped away! It had been suggested that I 'warm my arms up' but that was it. Will get my big glass of water ready for Monday and see if it helps. Thank you very much:)
I do hope it does it definately helped me

Silverfishes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you Charlottecourcelle. In response to Daddys1, the glass of water did seem to help, let's see what happens next tine. Still didn't find a vein easily but when I said wiggle it about a bit she hit 'gold' and it carried on flowing for all 4/5 vials!!