Basal insulin

hawker101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
arguments and tosspots
Hi the dr told me I show both sign of type 1 and 2. I am on metformin and I use basal insulin .my question is as I am on insulin and 29 yards old and had ketoacioss would that make me a type 1 ?

alliebee

Hello there. Just wanted to welcome you to the forum. I'm a type 2. But I'm sure someone with more experience will be along soon to answer your questions. There is a third type. Called Lada. Late onset diabetes that can look like both. The dr should run blood tests c peptide ect to confirm which you are

alliebee

Should add that Daisy1 will be along soon to give you some very helpful advice...please do in the meantime ask any questions you like. It may help you to read around, the forum. You will need to think about changing your diet. But also to get a blood testing meter to test your levels before and after eating to see which foods raise youm hopefully your dr will have given you one esp that you are starting insulin. Good luck. Keep posting

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
There's a condition whereby someone with type 1 can show signs of type 2 diabetes and it's called Double Diabetes, it's when a person develops insulin resistance much like someone with type 2 does, a Google search will give a fuller explanation.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
for me the difference between 1 and 2 is the auto immune response.............

if this attack from the immune system has/is taking place then your type 1/1.5.........

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
About DKA (ketoacidosis) - you can have it and be type 2. It's called ketosis-prone type 2, as far as I remember. So DKA is not an automatic diagnosis as t1.

As said before, LADA, also called type 1.5, is another type were you have parts from both type 1 (autoimmune reaction) and type 2 (insulin resistance).

hawker101

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
arguments and tosspots
If you have 1.5 will it change to type 1 or 2 later on or stay as it is ?

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you have 1.5 will it change to type 1 or 2 later on or stay as it is ?
Type is the CAUSE - why you have diabetes, so it doesn't change. Unless the initial diagnosis was wrong :p

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Are you overweight? If so then you probably have insulin resistance and are a T2; I'm guessing to some extent of course. The insulin would then be helping a bit but reducing the carbs would be the best solution rather than having insulin BUT if your weight is near normal then the chances are that you are a LADA (Late onset T1). There are two tests that can help with the diagnosis. If you are a LADA then it can progress at varying rates but you would probably need to add a rapid insulin to the basal at some future point