1st month review

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Went to my doctors for my first month review of medication. I am on Metformin twice a day. Told her I was having problems with pins and needles, constipation and ED. I also asked about a blood glucose monitor. I was told I didn't need to check my bloods they would do it with 3 monthly blood tests. I was prescribed the blue pill of ED and given a flu jab. I came away from the surgery more confused than when I went in. My doctor seems to think having type 2 is not an issue. It's not an illness but a lifestyle change. My partner was furious and told me to register with a different doctor. 1 Month in and I can safely say my treatment sucks more than a dyson.

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to say, that is a quite typical story on here.

Have you been told to eat lots of carbs (bread, rice, potato, pasta and cereal)? Please don't.

Have a good look round the forum, and ask anything you like.

The good news is that most of us can make massive changes to our blood test results without much support from the surgery. Type 2 really is a DIY control thing. :D

Reactions: 6 people

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Like Brunneria says, it is a common story, and unfortunately, from my experience, following the doctors advise just means it will progress as they expect gradually getting worse.

The best I can recommend is to buy your own meter and take control your self, and unless you want a lecture, don't tell you doctor you are doing it, let them go buy the 3 monthly results. let you meter guide you in what you eat and you should see the numbers come down.

There is plenty of information about Blood Sugar levels and what to eat on the website so have a look around and decide your own course.

Reactions: 9 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Like Brunneria says, it is a common story, and unfortunately, from my experience, following the doctors advise just means it will progress as they expect gradually getting worse.

The best I can recommend is to buy your own meter and take control your self, and unless you want a lecture, don't tell you doctor you are doing it, let them go buy the 3 monthly results. let you meter guide you in what you eat and you should see the numbers come down.

There is plenty of information about Blood Sugar levels and what to eat on the website so have a look around and decide your own course.

And then, when your next set of blood test results come back dramatically improved, politely rub their noses in it. :D

It's the only way we will ever get across to them that the advice they give out is wrong (at best) and harmful (at worst).

Reactions: 7 people

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is good to see I'm not alone when it comes to help and advice from doctors. After doing research and joining this forum I have In 5 weeks lost 17lbs in weight, Stopped drinking, I've reduced my carbs instead bulking up my plate with veg. I have reduced my meat intake and now have high fibre breakfast. If I do have a treat it is a square of dark chocolate. I wanted the meter for those times when I feel a little off. I want to know if my sugar levels are too high or too low. My doctor seems to think a HYPO is not possible with type 2 diabetes. Also the doctor never commented on the pins and needles, nor did she give me anything for the constipation.

Reactions: 3 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Re the constipation - eating more veggies as you are already doing is good. Do you have enough fats? I found having a little olive oil with the veg helped me. Do you drink enough water? For once I agree with your doctor (!) that a true hypo isn't possible with type 2 if you are only taking metformin. However you may get symptoms which feel a bit like one if your BG's drop quite quickly.

Well done, you've made a great start! :)

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yep, much the same as we all on here experience!! You learn so much here and get so much support too. Have a good read, ask questions- and certainly get a meter, it will be your best friend!! I have just had a dramatic drop in hba1c and weight and know it's only due to being proactive with my knowledge from this wonderful forum !!

Reactions: 4 people

Kezzer4321

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum. I know that without this site I would still be struggling with my BS - whilst I know I have a long way to go - and a lot of weight to loose, I feel more in control and less guilty about everything. The people on here are amazing...without the help and advice they offer a lot of us would still be stuck in NHS ****-coo land.

Reactions: 6 people

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Re the constipation - eating more veggies as you are already doing is good. Do you have enough fats? I found having a little olive oil with the veg helped me. Do you drink enough water? For once I agree with your doctor (!) that a true hypo isn't possible with type 2 if you are only taking metformin. However you may get symptoms which feel a bit like one if your BG's drop quite quickly.

Well done, you've made a great start! :)

I am drinking soda water and lime in great quantities. The lime is very low calorie.

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am drinking soda water and lime in great quantities. The lime is very low calorie.
I would be cautious with the lime if it's cordial, low calorie not always low sugar! Like we learn low fat is loaded with sugar so for us full fat is better!

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Each teaspoon is 2gm carbs, ideally we should aim for 10gm or less per 100gm so if you imagine how many teaspoons would be in 100gm that's high!! Personally, I drink just water and coffee these days, it works for me ; )

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Each teaspoon is 2gm carbs, ideally we should aim for 10gm or less per 100gm so if you imagine how many teaspoons would be in 100gm that's high!! Personally, I drink just water and coffee these days, it works for me ; )
Thanks, I am also drinking Aldi fruit berry tea and black tea. Might just stick to the soda water and tea.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum,

Some great advice from everyone above. Personally, I would just stick to plain old refrigerated tap water as you need to drink an awful lot of it, plus tea/coffee. Constipation is often due to lack of fibre, so increase that and things should improve. I add a dessertspoon of ground flaxseed to my yogurts to help with that.

You do need a meter though! Not just to test when you are feeling off, but to test out your meals. By testing before a meal and 2 hours later you can see just what that meal has done to you. If the spike is too high, there is something in that meal that needs reducing or avoiding. That is the way to learn. I suggest you buy one as soon as possible.

Keep posting and ask questions.

Reactions: 4 people

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just ordered the Codefree meter and testing strips. Hope to have them for next week. I am beginning to think the reason why the advice handed out by doctors is so wrong. Is because everyone getting their bloods right are to afraid to tell the doctors and nurses why. So the NHS think their advice is good. But it's not. People are getting proper advice on here and following it to the letter.

K

Kat100

Hello , hypo,s can happen with or without metformin , please be aware ...that is my understanding .. Keep,snacks handy for those time in need moments ....
Good luck with all you are coping with , none of it is easy ..
Sometimes people agree what the right blood sugar hba1c range is based on each individual ...to keep us well, helps stop those horrid feeling moments ...but again not easy ..For example I know that I won't go below 39 or 5.7 it is to low for me ...but we are all different ...
Two years ago my numbers were emergency level numbers ....
All my experiences ...best wishes ...Kat

Reactions: 5 people