My first monitor readings

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

My code free arrived today, which is great to say I only ordered it yesterday lunchtime, a great service.

After 4 clumsy first attempts I finally got my fasting test and it read 5.7 which we both was pleasantly surprised.

2 hours later, the post meal test was easy peasy but the results were 9.8

Breakkie was x2 Wholegrain toast with real butter and half a tin of tomatoes.

I know other people's readings are much higher, but here I am feeling shakey and weak...and still confused:)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Great news about your monitor, and excellent fasting reading.

Your choice of brekkie is what made you spike. 9.8 is too high at 2 hours, and the actual rise was 4.1mmol/l. Write down what your brekkie was, including portions, and record your before and after readings alongside. This will mean you can look back and see patterns emerging.

Sadly for most of us, 2 slices of toast (of whatever variety) is too much for our insulin to cope with, hence the spike. . I also find tinned toms a bit difficult - did you check the carb amounts on the tin? You could try again with just one slice with eggs, cheese, bacon or a fresh tom grilled.

Ideally, once you sort out a reasonable diet, you should aim to keep the actual rise under 2mmol/l. It is all trial and error, and may take some time, but stick with it. You will get there.

Reactions: 4 people

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your prompt reply...I do keep a food diary, pre diagnosis i used it purely for tracking my calorie intake. So it will be relatively easy to make a note of carb values.

carbs what little pesky things they are lol..they can't do right for doing wrong..I seem to recall from somewhere 130g as being an acceptable daily carb level, yet I notice on here peeps managing a daily intake of 30g .

Sadly carbs are really what I'm craving, I guess this will be my achilles, as for sugar..I use "splendida"sugar substitute in tea or coffee, I "used" to have a chocolate addiction, but that has almost completely out of my diet apart from the very occasional treat.

I'm assuming I only monitor after main meals ?on my diet I usually only have one main meal a day after breakfast, with little or no snacking in between, if I do snack it's no longer cake or biscuits, but a Rivita with thin sliced ham or something similar. I don't usually have anything unless I feel weak and shaky.

It's hard to both diet and watch sugar intake , but I have lost a stone in weight and certainly much fitter for the excercise.

So I'm thinking a protein based breakfast, grilled bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes, with a poached egg kind of food, and for tea ...guess I hit the recipe section and get creative. :)

Reactions: 2 people

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Now you have a meter you need to test before and after all meals and snacks. This is the only way to find out what and how much you can tolerate. I am addicted to carbs but less so now I have terrified myself with high reading. :stop:. This will help you build up a picture of what works for you,

Reactions: 2 people

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks nuthead, hope you're well , I will be monitoring for sure :) That Wholegrain toast I had yesterday has gone on my no list for sure.

Today's breakfast was a 2 egg omelette with a handful of chopped mushrooms cooked in a knob of butter.

Pre breakfast 6.6 post breakfast 5.6

go figure !

I am rabidly hungry now tho

Reactions: 4 people

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your prompt reply...I do keep a food diary, pre diagnosis i used it purely for tracking my calorie intake. So it will be relatively easy to make a note of carb values.

carbs what little pesky things they are lol..they can't do right for doing wrong..I seem to recall from somewhere 130g as being an acceptable daily carb level, yet I notice on here peeps managing a daily intake of 30g .

Sadly carbs are really what I'm craving, I guess this will be my achilles, as for sugar..I use "splendida"sugar substitute in tea or coffee, I "used" to have a chocolate addiction, but that has almost completely out of my diet apart from the very occasional treat.

I'm assuming I only monitor after main meals ?on my diet I usually only have one main meal a day after breakfast, with little or no snacking in between, if I do snack it's no longer cake or biscuits, but a Rivita with thin sliced ham or something similar. I don't usually have anything unless I feel weak and shaky.

It's hard to both diet and watch sugar intake , but I have lost a stone in weight and certainly much fitter for the excercise.

So I'm thinking a protein based breakfast, grilled bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes, with a poached egg kind of food, and for tea ...guess I hit the recipe section and get creative. :)
Thanks nuthead, hope you're well , I will be monitoring for sure :) That Wholegrain toast I had yesterday has gone on my no list for sure.

Today's breakfast was a 2 egg omelette with a handful of chopped mushrooms cooked in a knob of butter.

Pre breakfast 6.6 post breakfast 5.6

go figure !

I am rabidly hungry now tho
Well enough thanks. Just had cold beef and a couple of fried eggs. Very filling and tasty.Stir fry for dinner tonight with small amount of noodles. You don't have to be hungry.

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Lol, I can't quite get my head around eating roast beef for breakfast..but it sure sounds a tasty breakkie. I'm my own worst enemy, I'm craving **** food...ain't we all lol

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol, I can't quite get my head around eating roast beef for breakfast..but it sure sounds a tasty breakkie. I'm my own worst enemy, I'm craving **** food...ain't we all lol
Well I do like ham and eggs but the beef was reduced from £12 down to £2:80 :) going out of date.that will teach them to over order. So it had to be done. It was good. I recommend it:D

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow that's cheaper than a packet of bacon :) ..I'd be wanting gravy and roasties if I went that route lol

Reactions: 3 people