My diabetic journey.....so far

A new man

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I thought I would take a bit of time to explain how I find myself here - I have made a few posts on other threads but haven't introduced myself yet and you all seem so friendly and helpful I wanted to introduce myself properly.

It all started when I returned from University back in 2000 - I needed to re-register with my local doctor and the standard urine test picked up elevated glucose levels. At this point it was just glucose intolerance to be controlled by diet (no advice about cutting carbs - just reduce the white ones!) but steadily I began the decline towards full blown diabetes and tablets. Metformin first, then gliclazide and finally sitagliptin until I was on 3x850mg of Metformin slow release, 4x30mg gliclazide slow release and 100mg sitagliptin. (I should say this was no doubt a result of my general attitude that this was nothing serious and the results weren't 'that bad' coupled with my eating habits which did not change as a result of my diagnosis at all!)

My Hba1c initially came back in the high 7's, steadily crept up to the 8's and at the last result was 9.5 which is when I was told that because I started at a young age I should be averaging 6.5 and I should therefore move on to Insulin.

This, coupled with a leg infection whilst on holiday this year scared me into actually saying yes to the insulin and also coming online to look for help.

I have found the forum really useful (just catching up on all the helpful posts is taking a long while!) and the low carb message was more or less instantaneous and made perfect sense to me.

I started last week and on the whole my results (with Humulin injections of 14 units twice a day and my metformin) have been much better. I explained what I was doing to my Diabetic Nurse and she had no issue with it so we will see what happens on my follow up appointment.

Incidentally when I returned from holiday for my blood test they took my Cholesterol and triglycerides and the results were 6 and 13!!! The doctor panicked and asked me to have a retake (fasting) and asked if I had had a 'fatty meal' in the last 24 hours (which I hadn't) - I mentioned this to the Nurse and she said "Had you been drinking a lot recently?" - I explained I had just returned from a rather enjoyable holiday :hungover: and her words were "well there you go then that is your answer - just make sure you don't drink too much before the retest and it will be fine" ....

and it was...... Cholesterol 2.8 Triglycerides 0.7!!! (just in case anyone here usually has a glass of red the night before their tests!! I can see you all like one now and then) ;) (me too!!)

Anyway, that is my journey so far - hope for more success now I have become a new man! :happy:

Reactions: 8 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great story, and glad you found us!

Settle in and post, please. Always room for one more. Especially since you seem to have so much common sense! :D

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, welcome to the club.

You will not regret finding this forum, and great to see you have made a good start at controlling this disease. Keep posting, keep asking questions.

I can't believe the difference in those cholesterol levels!!!

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I thought I would take a bit of time to explain how I find myself here - I have made a few posts on other threads but haven't introduced myself yet and you all seem so friendly and helpful I wanted to introduce myself properly.

It all started when I returned from University back in 2000 - I needed to re-register with my local doctor and the standard urine test picked up elevated glucose levels. At this point it was just glucose intolerance to be controlled by diet (no advice about cutting carbs - just reduce the white ones!) but steadily I began the decline towards full blown diabetes and tablets. Metformin first, then gliclazide and finally sitagliptin until I was on 3x850mg of Metformin slow release, 4x30mg gliclazide slow release and 100mg sitagliptin. (I should say this was no doubt a result of my general attitude that this was nothing serious and the results weren't 'that bad' coupled with my eating habits which did not change as a result of my diagnosis at all!)

My Hba1c initially came back in the high 7's, steadily crept up to the 8's and at the last result was 9.5 which is when I was told that because I started at a young age I should be averaging 6.5 and I should therefore move on to Insulin.

This, coupled with a leg infection whilst on holiday this year scared me into actually saying yes to the insulin and also coming online to look for help.

I have found the forum really useful (just catching up on all the helpful posts is taking a long while!) and the low carb message was more or less instantaneous and made perfect sense to me.

I started last week and on the whole my results (with Humulin injections of 14 units twice a day and my metformin) have been much better. I explained what I was doing to my Diabetic Nurse and she had no issue with it so we will see what happens on my follow up appointment.

Incidentally when I returned from holiday for my blood test they took my Cholesterol and triglycerides and the results were 6 and 13!!! The doctor panicked and asked me to have a retake (fasting) and asked if I had had a 'fatty meal' in the last 24 hours (which I hadn't) - I mentioned this to the Nurse and she said "Had you been drinking a lot recently?" - I explained I had just returned from a rather enjoyable holiday :hungover: and her words were "well there you go then that is your answer - just make sure you don't drink too much before the retest and it will be fine" ....

and it was...... Cholesterol 2.8 Triglycerides 0.7!!! (just in case anyone here usually has a glass of red the night before their tests!! I can see you all like one now and then) ;) (me too!!)

Anyway, that is my journey so far - hope for more success now I have become a new man! :happy:
Welcome. Take humulin m3 18 units ish am and 8ish pm.
I consider binge drinking should always be encouraged

A new man

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

Thought I would provide a bit of an update and an observation......

I went out with my wife and son for a meal this evening (first meal out since going low carb) and I managed to keep away from the chips - had a lovely steak with mushroom, tomato and salad and a side of coleslaw and NO PUDDING! Whilst my wife and son ate yummy desserts! We then went to a fireworks display and I decided to test my BS about 3 hours after my meal and it was 3.7!! So that was my reward for being good I am so pleased (even if I did have a couple of haribo to push it up a little as I am not used to the low numbers yet)

My observation is that at the weekend I seem to have much better numbers than in the week - presumably although not doing specific exercise I am much more active than sat behind my desk at work (but even my lunchtime walks don't seem to help that much) - does anyone else notice a difference between weekdays and weekends or is it just me?

Reactions: 2 people