What was your diagnosis blood sugar level?

C

catherinecherub

Hello. You have cancer.. oh and we have given you so many drugs and steroids to keep you alive that you now have diabetes...!! Inject this twice a day. I was in the high 30's and not feeling very well..... This all happened in January. Happy to say I now have had the all clear from cancer
Glad to hear that you are cancer free and that you are getting to grips with your diabetes.

Reactions: 2 people

alliebee

Hello. You have cancer.. oh and we have given you so many drugs and steroids to keep you alive that you now have diabetes...!! Inject this twice a day. I was in the high 30's and not feeling very well..... This all happened in January. Happy to say I now have had the all clear from cancer

That must have been a very rough time for you...I'm so pleased that you have had the all clear

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was in Cape Town. Felt really unwell. Chemist did a test and the reading was so high - the meter just said high.
I went straight to A&E and passed out. Woke up in hospital on a drip and they told me I was diabetic. they put me on tablets first which made me so ill. After seeing another dr who nearly killed me by making me do a glucose tolerance test, I flew back to the UK and went straight to Chelsea and Westminster hospital who then in turn started me on insulin.

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everybody. I could not do anything about the cancer but I sure could kick all the shock and anger into sorting out this diabetes.. every cloud and all that.

Reactions: 4 people

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was in Cape Town. Felt really unwell. Chemist did a test and the reading was so high - the meter just said high.
I went straight to A&E and passed out. Woke up in hospital on a drip and they told me I was diabetic. they put me on tablets first which made me so ill. After seeing another dr who nearly killed me by making me do a glucose tolerance test, I flew back to the UK and went straight to Chelsea and Westminster hospital who then in turn started me on insulin.
Gosh. So far away. Scary.

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
not as scary as being in a government hospital in SA! It was disgusting to say the least.

alliebee

You poor soul...what a nightmare so far from home too

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Brilliant news about the cancer. I was very similar. I had cancer in 2013, treatment for 14 months, given the all clear, then told by my oncologist that I have diabetes! I know which I'd rather have. ;)

Reactions: 5 people

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Brilliant news about the cancer. I was very similar. I had cancer in 2013, treatment for 14 months, given the all clear, then told by my oncologist that I have diabetes! I know which I'd rather have. ;)
Gosh. Likewise. :woot:. Chemo every three weeks over 21weeks. No fun. But we digress. Sorry people.

Reactions: 5 people

julie56

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Angry people and liver!
Glad you've got the all clear, what a traumatic time for you.

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad you've got the all clear, what a traumatic time for you.
Thanks. Finger prick every hour for 24hrs.On drip and pump to get bg down. :arghh: Nurses crying. Wife crying. Daughter crying. Me spaced out and completely somewhere else..!

D

Deleted member 83869

Erm January 2nd 2008 went to the doctors as Dad and Aunt was worried about me because I was peeing for England my Blood Sugar was 26.8....first reaction....I cried and then I was in hospital for a week!!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
My sister called a GP out when I was staying with her in 1989, GP smelt 'pear drop breath on me, admitted to North Tees Hospital with a reading of 30 something,(cant remember it all, as I was feeling a little unwell at the time o_O) and stayed for a week.

alliebee

@ally1. And it was only a short time ago and just look how far you have come! Today you are posting a reading in rhe 5's! You should be so proud of yourself :)

kman

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Knowing others Won't learn from my mistakes, Being TERMINALLY ILL !
Erm January 2nd 2008 went to the doctors as Dad and Aunt was worried about me because I was peeing for England my Blood Sugar was 26.8....first reaction....I cried and then I was in hospital for a week!!

Glad to see your doing great now. ... well done !

leesmith1970

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Was feeling unwell for about a month drinking gallons of water and peeing gallons as well lol. Lost around six stone went to Drs told symptoms given gloucse test came back high. Sent straight to hospital and gloucse test came back 59mmol I thought this wasn't bad thinking this was 59 out of 100. Two weeks in hospital and type one for nineteen years now

Reactions: 4 people

jackie godden

went to the the docs oct2013 asked him to test for diabetes as I had all symptoms .he ordered blood tests habc1 100 bgs on the day 15.2 so went home changed everthing 3 months later habc44 now a year on habc 39 5.7 but now they are not happy they say its to low so have halved my gliclazide to 40 morng and night so now im not happy so I cant win had no hypos but she insists I must have had some . blood sugars never went below 4.7 so I don't know what she talking about it can all be so frustrating sorry tomoan

bkr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Im still trying to work it all out, I was diagnosed at the start of the month. I had a reading of 21, and then a few days later at 16.8, currently since the metformin 1x twice a day & instantly changing my diet (which wasnt bad, lots of veg, sensible fruit use etc.. water, sweeteners etc) Im getting it lower, Im now around 11.5. I know its still high to some but I feel Im getting somewhere with it, I need to kick start my cycling again as Im told that it will help it even more, plus I enjoy it.

Some days I feel like crying, then others I feel strong & that I can do it. It came as a shock as the preconception is that you have to be overweight to be diabetic, but Im not. A BIG learning curve for me, and early days.

Great post & wise words, thanks everyone - a good read.

Reactions: 7 people

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed after a FBT of 6.8. Not told what my hba1c was (presume they took one!) but I was surprised as I thought the level was 7.00.