Just Diagnosed With Type 2

sshaw99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
HI everyone,

I've just this week been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes after attending a walk-in centre and suddenly being admitted into hospital!
My blood sugar readings at the time were 17.4 8 hours after eating/drinking anything. I've been put on metformin (2x500mgday).

Since then I've been to doctors, arranging to see dieticians etc and been reading up lots on-line (already seen lots of useful information on this forum).

Looks like I'm going to have to cut out/cut down a number of the things I enjoy eating such as rice/pasta to curb my carb intake.

Just wondering if anyone has advice for travelling as this forms a part of my job. How do you control regular meal times/what to do about eating in restaurants etc in foreign countries?
I've got a blood testing meter so can monitor when away, and am currently starting this to see how my glucose levels vary with different foods/time of day etc.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks!

Reactions: 6 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome.

It seems you have made a good start already and have put a lot of thought in to what you are going to do.

Yes, we need to be very careful with rice, pasta, potatoes, bread and cereals, not to mention fruit and milk! You will soon learn what you can manage portion wise with these foods - maybe 2 slices of bread, maybe one slice, maybe none at all. Your meter will tell you this. It is all trial and error.

Which foreign countries are we talking about?

Reactions: 4 people

sshaw99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Bluetit andbit of thanks for the reply - I'm sure a low of newbies ask similar questions!
I've had a bit of prior knowledge before being diagnosed myself as there is some family history.

Fortunately I'm not into cereals and never used to eat breakfast before being diagnosed but need to now as the metformin must be taken with meals. I think it will be fruit and low fat yogurts for me - any advice on what fruits are ok and not would be much appreciated, but guess there will be threads on this in the other forum sections. Typical fruits I eat include bananas, peaches, plums, apples, pears, cherries, strawberries - any of these generally bad or recommended to limit????

Think it will be the carbs which will pose most difficulty for me - ie the bread pasta and rice. Already seen some suggestions on the recipe forum regarding cauliflower replacement for rice in dishes so will give that a go.

In terms of foreign countries it will be mainly Europe - France, Germany, Italy. I was due to be off to India for work for 2 weeks next Tuesday but thought it sensible to postpone that until I get to grips with everything as wasn't sure how I would react to changes in diet/mealtimes etc. Likely I will need to visit China and Argentina in the near future.

Thanks for any replies in advance.

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is difficult to advise anyone on what to eat or not eat. All I can say is eat to your meter.

Fruits are difficult. Berries are the best choice, and maybe a small apple. The tropical fruits are the worst, and the very worst is banana! However, before you give them up, test them out with your meter. Fruits generally are best eaten with a meal rather than as a snack. I have a few strawberries chopped up and thrown in my yogurt for breakfast (Full fat Greek yogurt) - do check the labels on your low fat products. Many have added sugar and too many carbs.

It is going to be difficult for you in these foreign countries, but they all do salads, so have cheese, eggs, meats or fish with salads and veg, just pass on the rice, pasta and spuds, or at most have a tiny portion! Again, it's a question of eating to your meter, trial and error.

Reactions: 5 people

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 100,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi @sshaw99, welcome.

Assuming you take the measures to get your blood sugars under control (reducing carbs) then having T2 shouldn't significantly affect your travel plans. I've never been anywhere where you can't get chicken and vegetables. Since diagnosis I've been to West Africa and Australia and had little problem. The disturbed eating and sleeping regime is something you can't avoid on long haul trips and that will upset your levels a bit, but it's just one of those things. I find the uncertainties of eating out in the UK no different from travelling to be honest.

It's best to avoid long gaps between meals if you can, but take some packets of brazil nuts or similar to provide something to eat if you need a top-up. China will be fun, but just avoid the rice and/or dumplings (depends where in China you go) if you can, you may have to explain that you can't eat them 'for health reasons' if there is a risk of offending Chinese hosts. Argentina should be little different from Europe but with more meat! (You're not vegetarian are you?).

Good luck but there's no real need to worry about it with T2. The odd portion of rice or pasta won't kill you, and you may even feel that there is no need to postpone your India trip.

Reactions: 3 people

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello @sshaw99

Welcome to the forum! Couldn't agree more with what the posters above has advised you. The toughest country would probably be China because most of the food they have got rice or noodles as the main component. They don't usually do salads and their sauces also have a lot of sugar content too. That said it helps to be "fussy" with food sometimes and look for a restaurant that's diabetic friendly but if there's no other option for restaurant or meals, I deconstruct the meals served--taking the breading out of the food, then I order probably two dishes instead of just one.

This was what I did in Japan three months ago because the meals that was served had rice on it so I ended up buying two dishes and took the breading out of the chicken or the pork (tonkatsu) or getting the rice out of the sushi.

For long haul /short flights, I bring food with me to the plane such as salads, hard boiled eggs and nuts to top up with the meal they were serving. They tend to have small servings of meat/seafood on the plane and I do tend to get hungry from such small servings lol. For example, from heathrow/pret a manger: I bought the salmon with quinoa pot, chicken salad and tuna salad. Same with other airports. :)

Good luck! Hope you get lots of info from this forum and stay on top of managing your condition x take care! :)

Reactions: 4 people

sshaw99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Adelle,

Thanks for the information.
Yeah I'm thinking China will be most difficult - even before the diabetes as I've never been a huge fan of Chinese food anyway lol.
Also thinking that I will have to take my own foods onto short haul flights as the snacks they serve probably aren't the best for me - cookies/crisps etc,so the salads may be the best option.

I haven't tried rice whilst eating to my meter yet, but a small amount of pasta (bulked out with mushrooms and other veg) doesn't cause me to spike, so will have to wait and see. It looks like potatoes are a big non-no for me now though as they cause quite a spike in my BG!

Cheers,
Steve

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is going to be difficult for you in these foreign countries, but they all do salads, so have cheese, eggs, meats or fish with salads and veg, just pass on the rice, pasta and spuds, or at most have a tiny portion! Again, it's a question of eating to your meter, trial and error.

I'm sure the OP knows this, if s/he is a regular traveller, but be careful with salads, particularly in, for want of a better phrase, Third World countries, such as India. You can never be sure of the source of the water that was used to wash the veg in the salad, and/or what was used as a fertiliser when it was growing..... :eek:

kimbo1962

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello and welcome Steve- you are in the best, friendliest place for advice, information and support!!

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Steve, @sshaw99

I'm glad you've also bought a meter and have been doing some testing. :) you will often read in the forum here to "eat to your meter" and you might be able to tolerate some of the fruits you have mentioned such as berries and plums, probably a small portion of bananas. As bluetit has mentioned, be careful of the low fat yogurt for the sugar content, most of us here in the forum have the full fat greek/plain.

It's only in the beginning when it's confusing and overwhelming, even a bit daunting, but once you get used to testing your sugars and eating the right type of food, it'll become a habit/second nature to you :)

Btw, If you're traveling business class, you can also order/specify low carb meal beforehand and they will do it for you too. Just found the servings small lol :)

Best of luck! Cheers,
Adelle