Ketoacidosis in children???

KetoWatch

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
What are some of the general problems related to detecting ketone levels in children?
Are children more prone to ketoacidosis?
Does problems from ketoacidosis cause children to have problems in schools? (due to smell, etc.)

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Children are only more prone because they are children and management of diabetes is left to stranger (teachers) or parents AND children rebel without fully understanding the effects that it may have on their body.

KetoWatch

Type of diabetes
Researcher
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Children rebel? As in they rebel to be tested for ketones (because you have to prick fingers and it hurts) or they don't want to go see the doctor?

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They rebel by not testing their blood sugar and skipping their insulin (for example, not taking insulin is a great way to lose weight as long as you don't mind death).

Testing for ketones is pretty much completely irrelevant in preventing DKA; essentially, ketone test strips tell you if high BG is the result of having a bottle of Lucozade without insulin (no ketones) or a dangerous chain reaction caused by complete lack of insulin known as DKA (high ketones).
To prevent DKA, you need to keep blood glucose at acceptable levels.

I'd imagine that DKA can cause problems in school do to kids dying, missing school due to being stuck in hostipal intensive care units a lot and so on.
If your child has DKA you need to get them to hospital A&E immediately. If all your worried about is other kids smelling that your child is deathly ill then, frankly, you should contact social services and tell them you are unfit to care for children.

Reactions: 2 people