Advice on breakfast cereals please

snowdrop345

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Newly diagnosed T2 and trying out breakfast cereals. I do like porridge but sometimes i want a cold cereal. Any recommendations for which ones dont send sugars through the roof? TIA x

Reactions: 2 people

alliebee

Hi and welcome to the forum. @daisy1 will be here soon with some information that will help
I'm afraid for me sadly there is only one cereal that I have v v rarely All Bran. And that's if I er need some help
They all spike me
Some people are ok with weetabix but the only way you can tell is by testing just before eating and at 2 hours. If you don't have more than a 2mmol raise then that is ok for you...we are all different. I was sad to give up my beloved porridge but it sents me up to 10

snowdrop345

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome to the forum. @daisy1 will be here soon with some information that will help
I'm afraid for me sadly there is only one cereal that I have v v rarely All Bran. And that's if I er need some help
They all spike me
Some people are ok with weetabix but the only way you can tell is by testing just before eating and at 2 hours. If you don't have more than a 2mmol raise then that is ok for you...we are all different. I was sad to give up my beloved porridge but it sents me up to 10
Thank you. What do you have for breakfast ?

alliebee

I'm low carbing so its scrambled eggs or bacon eggs and mushrooms or Total Greek yoghurt with blueberries and seeds. Or even sometimes an omlette. Or cheese and meat.

Reactions: 6 people

alliebee

There is a great thread in the low carb forum. " what did you eat today". Gives loads of ideas for breakfast lunch and dinner

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Welcome. I'm afraid all cereal spikes me but all bran the least. I mix total Greek yogurt with berries and just a small dusting of cereal or granola. Try and test I'm afraid..

Reactions: 4 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi Snowdrop, welcome. Generally all cereals spike me to an extent, the only answer to your question is to use your meter to check (as well as reading the labels for carb content per 100g).

Reactions: 5 people
K

Kat100

I have the alpen no added sugar ..with almond milk and added blueberries
Sometimes porridge ...
Sometimes fruits berries with soya yogurt

All individual diet choices ...and needs ... I always love my breakfast ...

angelicbaby

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As everyone says .... test with your BG meter and let that tell you if the cereal is too carby. For me, I can eat porridge (made with water) and Aldi No added sugar Swiss style museli. Be very careful with museli. I was eating another version before I was diagnosed diabetic .... It sent my B.G from 9.8 to 15.6!

Reactions: 5 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Any carbs for breakfast spike my blood sugar more than other times of the day:dead:, so I avoid cereal. Eggs and bacon for me.:hungry:

Reactions: 7 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Greek yogurt with a few strawberries added plus a dessertspoon of flaxseed for me, oh and 2 mugs of tea.

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm lucky in that I can have Mornflake Gold Plum & Almond Oat Granola without too much impact on my BG levels. I have it with 100ml of semi-skimmed milk. It has a nice crunch, but at 29.8g of carbs per 35g portion, it may be too much for most T2s.

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with the All-Bran and I usually do as Nuthead said - just put a bit on Greek yoghurt with some berries. I don't like bacon or English sausage all that much, so breakfast is my most difficult meal. I sometimes have peanut butter (Sainsbury's Basic Chunky peanut butter, which is the lowest carb version I've found so far) on a slice of Burgen's Soya and Linseed bread; or a berry salad with a handful of raw almonds; or melted cheese on a slice of the above bread; or a hard-boiled or scrambled egg; or a small smoothie with 1/2 a small banana, mixed berries and various greens. (If you're new to green smoothies, you cannot taste the greens with all the fruit, and the greens (for *me* at least) tend not to cause the banana to spike me. YMMV)

Try not to think that you have to stick to "breakfast" foods. Eat whatever low-carb foods you like/are in the mood for and call it 'breakfast'. :)

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was sad to give up my beloved porridge but it sends me up to 10
I was advised to give up grains (inc porridge oats) some time ago but the same person recommended groats, or whole grain oats, which I soak overnight in a thermos of hot water with cinnamon & milled chia seeds. In the morning it's ready to eat so just reheat and add berries and yoghurt, cream, nuts or whatever. It reliably doesn't spike me. Good if you're in a hurry in the morning, too.

Reactions: 6 people

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
All of Lizzi's granola types are low carb, filling and I find don't spike me much. These days though I have a Sainsbury's own crumpet (20g) and find that keeps me very steady :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any carbs for breakfast spike my blood sugar more than other times of the day:dead:, so I avoid cereal. Eggs and bacon for me.:hungry:

I avoid all carbs in the morning, for the same reason as NoCrbs4Me.
Used to love Grape Nuts :bigtears:
I find I have much more stamina and better concentration all day, with a carb free brekkie.

So it's coffee with cream, crustless quiche, bacon and egg, sausage and mushroom, ham, cheese or ham and cheese...

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I love porridge with milk but the combination is too high in carbs for me.

I never liked breakfast much anyway, mostly coffee first thing so now I try bulletproof coffee and that is actually quite nice and rather filling.

Before I quit smoking I used to have two large mugs of very strong coffee, a couple of news papers and at least three cigarettes within the first half hour of rising. The coffee and fags sorted the bowel business. Now I find the coconut oil part of bullet proof coffee helps a lot.

Reactions: 3 people

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I love porridge with milk but the combination is too high in carbs for me.

I never liked breakfast much anyway, mostly coffee first thing so now I try bulletproof coffee and that is actually quite nice and rather filling.

Before I quit smoking I used to have two large mugs of very strong coffee, a couple of news papers and at least three cigarettes within the first half hour of rising. The coffee and fags sorted the bowel business. Now I find the coconut oil part of bullet proof coffee helps a lot.
Except for the bulletproof coffee.... IT'S ME. :p !!!!!

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
Newly diagnosed T2 and trying out breakfast cereals. I do like porridge but sometimes i want a cold cereal. Any recommendations for which ones dont send sugars through the roof? TIA x
I love my porridge but only make it with water and am lucky it doesn't spike me at all, and Aldi own brand cheerios are a lot less sweet than the proper ones, haven't found any others that don't raise my sugar. I choose not to have cereal every day just in case and alternate with eggs bacon sausages (97per cent meat)mushrooms etc