Pump

smoorhouse

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am on the pump and after 4 yrs my levels r still not right they want me to go back on to injection any advice

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I am on the pump and after 4 yrs my levels r still not right they want me to go back on to injection any advice
It's very difficult to give any advice as no information given.
IE, why haven't your numbers improved, is it lack of trying as in basal testing, carb counting or just can't be bothered? Or lack of tuition in using your pump properly?
Basically after 4 years your pump is up for renewal as the warranty has run out, so you are well and truly stuck.
Commissioning groups are saving what money they can and as a pump costs about £3,000 plus £120 per month in consumables it looks as if they have decided they can't justify spending that amount on a pump that isn't being used to it's full potential.

So you need to sit down with your team and work out why you have no improvement and see what you can do to rectify the situation.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I see that you were wanting to set up a blog as well about diabetes?

What is your current hba1c?

How often do you test, change basals etc? @ohitsnicola has managed fantastically in 6 months to turn her levels completely upside down to what they were.. Halved compared to when she was on MDI, so perhaps she can offer some advice?

What pump are you on? When is your funding up for renewal?

smoorhouse

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
7.8 four times a day accu chek spirit compi and been and gone waiting for new one and yes a vlog if I can about my struggle

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
7.8 four times a day accu chek spirit compi and been and gone waiting for new one and yes a vlog if I can about my struggle
well if you only test 4 times a day it's no wonder you have problems.
You need to test before and after meals and before bed plus a few night tests. Oh and check your basal at least once a month.
Something obviously is not right with such a high A1c
When you need a basal change how long before the change do you alter the basal?
Do you change the basal yourself or does the nurse do it for you?

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Nurse helps with it all with other medical conditions I am in constant contact
Well there's your problem, 1 dsn who has no idea about pumping. Learn to look after your own diabetes, the idea of a pump is that you make the adjustments yourself.
No idea what your other problems are but I suggest you learn to manage them as well as your diabetes and things will greatly improve for you.
What would happen if this nurse got sick and or left?

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
@CarbsRok is absolutely right.

Diabetes is about you managing it.. Nobody else. You have got a fantastic piece of equipment to let you do this, so you really need to do it.

Please can you answer whether you eat regularly, good meals, carbxount and adjust?

Something isn't adding up right here...you are either not paying due attention to your basals or bolus's or for some reason you are not complying itherwise your hba1c would be less..

We cannot help fully unless you are really honest about your control and your life and your thoughts...