Ack! Nose bleed advice?

victry77

Hi, can anyone help?

At the moment I have a head cold and I'm also getting terrible nose bleeds from my right nostril. This is something that developed with me about 6/7 yrs ago. I NEVER have nose bleeds at any other time, but over the past few years, a head cold has always resulted in having a right nostril bleed. Sometime the bleed is light but other times it is quite gushing.

Anyway, started to get a light bleed a few days ago, but last night before I went to bed, it was like blood bath in my bathroom. I was saturating tissues and it took ages to stop. I admit, I didn't do the pinching things (I was just pressing tissues to my nostril) because I'm not use to treating nose bleeds and was getting in a panic at how much it was gushing.

Then this morning, I just blew my nose very lightly and it was off again. I'm not blowing my nose hard but I just have this unbearable and constant trickling of mucus which is needing me to blow my nose every few minutes and is driving me mad! I'm trying to keep my nostril lubricated but this is a waste of time when I have to keep blowing and wiping.

I'm meant to be attending an event this evening and tomorrow and I'm really concerned that the slightest tap is going to kick it off!

Any advice??

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
anti histamine for the trickling nose then maybe you can give the clot a chance to heal. I often use Zirtek when I stop my nose running. You are lucky it is only one nostril because you can leave cotton wool up there in an emergency.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

victry77

Thank you for the tip, Squire. Good to know for future reference, too. I took some decongestants after I posted this and I'm not sure of it was just a coincidence but the cold completely broke out (after having it a whole week without it actually breaking). Subsequently had four further nose bleeds but manage to stem them quickly. Never thought about anti-histamines before. If I can mange to stop the constant dripping then problem solved.

:)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi, can anyone help?

At the moment I have a head cold and I'm also getting terrible nose bleeds from my right nostril. This is something that developed with me about 6/7 yrs ago. I NEVER have nose bleeds at any other time, but over the past few years, a head cold has always resulted in having a right nostril bleed. Sometime the bleed is light but other times it is quite gushing.

Anyway, started to get a light bleed a few days ago, but last night before I went to bed, it was like blood bath in my bathroom. I was saturating tissues and it took ages to stop. I admit, I didn't do the pinching things (I was just pressing tissues to my nostril) because I'm not use to treating nose bleeds and was getting in a panic at how much it was gushing.

Then this morning, I just blew my nose very lightly and it was off again. I'm not blowing my nose hard but I just have this unbearable and constant trickling of mucus which is needing me to blow my nose every few minutes and is driving me mad! I'm trying to keep my nostril lubricated but this is a waste of time when I have to keep blowing and wiping.

I'm meant to be attending an event this evening and tomorrow and I'm really concerned that the slightest tap is going to kick it off!

Any advice??
Victry77 - if still suffering with nose bleeds ?
Best to see your GP and discuss all concerns .

Let us know how things went on your evening events too :)

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My sister a had bad noise bleed, Her GP got it sorted out. Her cause was taking to many aspirins thinking they were good for her.
Best visit you GP Like Anna and Catherinecherub suggest.

Reactions: 2 people

victry77

Thanks folks.

As mentioned in my OP, the nose bleeds only ever happen when I have a head cold and begin after a couple days of nose blowing. I put it down to weak blood vessels and/or the pressure in my nose/sinuses. Since the cold has gone and no need for nose blowing, the bleeding has stopped :)

Once I got into the habit of pinching, it really helped stop them before they really got started.

I did have to cancel one of my events (cold had completely broken) but the following day it was better and I was able to attend my event (with a stock of tissues and cotton wool in my bag).