Hello, my name is Ted

Teddy95

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not much really.
Hello everyone, I am type 2, diagnosed about six years ago, my latest Hba1c results are 45 or 6.3, my diabetic nurse says that's far too low and told me to stop taking the glicazide (1/2 in the morning and 1/2 at evening dinner) I take 800mg metformin after breakfast and another one after dinner. my last Hba1c was 6.6.
Is 6.3 far too low?
Thanks in advance for your opinions.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Welcome @Teddy95

For me that would be too high but then I am not on glic. I suspect that your DN is worried about you having hypos. The question I would ask your DN is how much higher your peaks will be without your glic. Are you having hypo symptoms at all? If not then discuss it further with your DN.

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Teddy. It is not too low. But I have no idea about medication so a Hypo may be risk if you don't reduce the medication. Someone who actually knows will be along soon.:)
Beat me there Andrew that was not a dig at you.

Molly56

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@Teddy95 Hello, as I understand it the gliclazide can potentially lower your blood sugar levels to a level where it could cause a hypo.
My partner is on metformin 2000mg per day and gliclazide 320mg per day....when the diabetic nurse increased his gliclazide (previously 160mg) she supplied him with a blood test monitor and told him to test his blood before driving. Unfortunately his blood sugar levels have still remained on the high side so the risk of a hypo has not been an issue so far but obviously if your levels are falling this is not a scenario that you wish to have. Don't know if you drive or not but perhaps something else to check out with the diabetic nurse when you contact her.

Reactions: 2 people

Teddy95

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not much really.
Welcome @Teddy95

For me that would be too high but then I am not on glic. I suspect that your DN is worried about you having hypos. The question I would ask your DN is how much higher your peaks will be without your glic. Are you having hypo symptoms at all? If not then discuss it further with your DN.
I haven't had any signs of a hypo at all, but your right she said she is worried that I might get a hypo so she has told me to take blood sugar before bed, in the night If I wake up and first thing in the morning, got to go back in a fortnight to tell her results.

Teddy95

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not much really.
@Teddy95 Hello, as I understand it the gliclazide can potentially lower your blood sugar levels to a level where it could cause a hypo.
My partner is on metformin 2000mg per day and gliclazide 320mg per day....when the diabetic nurse increased his gliclazide (previously 160mg) she supplied him with a blood test monitor and told him to test his blood before driving. Unfortunately his blood sugar levels have still remained on the high side so the risk of a hypo has not been an issue so far but obviously if your levels are falling this is not a scenario that you wish to have. Don't know if you drive or not but perhaps something else to check out with the diabetic nurse when you contact her.
Thanks Molly.

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello teddy. I try and get as low as I can without going hypo or stopping me driving. Low is good. High is bad. I am type 2 on insulin.So I guess I have more control. Just keep testing and dont let it go to high.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teddy95

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not much really.
Sounds like good advice to me nuthead.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello and welcome to the forum Ted :)

Best wishes RRB

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello everyone, I am type 2, diagnosed about six years ago, my latest Hba1c results are 45 or 6.3, my diabetic nurse says that's far too low and told me to stop taking the glicazide (1/2 in the morning and 1/2 at evening dinner) I take 800mg metformin after breakfast and another one after dinner. my last Hba1c was 6.6.
Is 6.3 far too low?
Thanks in advance for your opinions.
Hi Terry, I am diet controlled only and my DSN feels my control is too good as my HbA1c is 35 now. I feel my DSN is rather stupid.

You want good bg control, long term. HbA1c of 45 isn't bad but I'm sure you could do even better.

K

Kat100

Hi and welcome ...maybe agree what is right for your health ..with you DN ..it is about finding a balance ...best wishes Kat

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
are you on a low carb diet?
I would ask for a second opinion, a T2 should be aiming for less than 6.5, at 6.6 some advise adding another medication, including insulin to get it down, and heart disese risk is quite higher

upload_2014-11-2_5-59-55.png upload_2014-11-2_5-53-7.png

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Interesting poster Jack. If my Dr had followed that I would have been on insulin therapy immediately on diagnosis instead of off of met within a month.

Reactions: 3 people

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
are you on a low carb diet?
I would ask for a second opinion, a T2 should be aiming for less than 6.5, at 6.6 some advise adding another medication, including insulin to get it down, and heart disese risk is quite higher

View attachment 7889 View attachment 7888

I find that advice quite disturbing Jack, and hardly likely to encourage or help someone newly diagnosed. I've not heard of any Type 2 with an average level of 6.6 being told they need insulin.

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find that advice quite disturbing Jack, and hardly likely to encourage or help someone newly diagnosed. I've not heard of any Type 2 with an average level of 6.6 being told they need insulin.
it isn't advice, my advice the op to ask for a second opinion
I gave an American endocrinologist progression chart, where after 3 months a second oral is advised if patent is over 6.5% and after another 3 months a 3rd oral or insulin is advised if the patient isnt within range
ted was diagnosed 6 years ago, not new to this and the nurse wants to make his A1c higher, this is my concern and why I suggested he seek a second opinion

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only