am I or aren't I ?

gogobroom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all

A little background am 40 years old, very active, lots of sports, healthy, fit and a goo d weight.

I recently had fasting blood tests and came back as 6.3, then went back again and was high again, subsequently been testing myself. Today had OGT test after 12 hour fast was 7.2 then after sugar drink was tested again, I wasn't given results so have to wait til doc contacts me. I am not on radar for diabetes but sugar levels appear to be high, I am confused as I am fit and healthy generally and not overweight.

I have tested tonight 2 hours after pasta and bolognese and registered 11.9.

I am struggling to understand any of this at the moment, any help very much appreciated.

Thanks

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You seem to have diabetic figures, it is not always that straight forward though. Some meals will give high readings.. when do you get your result?
I would not worry too much in the mean time as anything you do between now and then will most likely have little effect.

gogobroom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for reply, I did OGTT test today so hopefully have some answers next week, I am not overly concerned as I am generally very fit and healthy and not overweight. But my concern at the moment is I have been very lethargic for the last few months since my last event and have not been performing as I think I should athletically.

I have been using a Medisana test kit for the last few weeks, generally my morning test has been between 6 and 7, I have also done so e post meal tests of which some have been as high as 14.

My initial thought was this was due to an infection post my last endurance event, but it increasing looks like something slightly more significant.

My initial concern is my doctor has already stated diabetes as highly unlikely due to my weight and exercise regime.

gogobroom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I ate what I would normally eat, I am only 73kgs so not huge, albeit I enjoy my food, I do endurance events such as Long distance cycling, marathon running and Ironman triathlon. In my last Ironman I had cramps on my calf's on the bike. I have not had this before on the bike. Ultimately I did nor finish this time as I ran out of all reserves.

I am just looking for confirmation that this is not in my mind, I am generally very healthy and this is an unknown to me ....

gogobroom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ahhh ok well Tonight I ate spaghetti with some minced meat and veg, nothing too much and was at 11.9 2 hours after eating, felt very tired in between eating and test. Not sure what that means, usually I have no problem with that

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, those numbers look higher than a normal person would get.

I've heard that some 'normals' can be as high as 11 two hours after eating, but I think it is rare. Usually they are below 7ish.

We certainly cannot diagnose diabetes, or rule it out, over the internet. But I think it is fair to say that something is giving you raised blood glucose. So if your results come back as non diabetic, then I suggest you ask your doc for further tests.

You may also want to consider cutting back on carbs.
Do you 'carb load' before events? If so, that may be affecting things. It certainly looks as if your body is struggling to process the carb quantities you are currently eating.

Please note: I'm not an athlete, or a sports nutritionist, but I DO know about eating too many carbs! ;)

Reactions: 3 people

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, those numbers look higher than a normal person would get.

I've heard that some 'normals' can be as high as 11 two hours after eating, but I think it is rare. Usually they are below 7ish.

We certainly cannot diagnose diabetes, or rule it out, over the internet. But I think it is fair to say that something is giving you raised blood glucose. So if your results come back as non diabetic, then I suggest you ask your doc for further tests.

You may also want to consider cutting back on carbs.
Do you 'carb load' before events? If so, that may be affecting things. It certainly looks as if your body is struggling to process the carb quantities you are currently eating.

Please note: I'm not an athlete, or a sports nutritionist, but I DO know about eating too many carbs! ;)
Normal? cheeky minx.

gogobroom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the info and no worries about the banter.

Tested again today, before breakfast was 5.9, pre evening meal was 5.6 and 2 hours post meal was 10. I believe still high, I just have to wait and see what doc says about my results when they contact me next week.

At the moment am not racing as under the weather so to speak but generally do not carb load intentionally.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the info and no worries about the banter.

Tested again today, before breakfast was 5.9, pre evening meal was 5.6 and 2 hours post meal was 10. I believe still high, I just have to wait and see what doc says about my results when they contact me next week.

At the moment am not racing as under the weather so to speak but generally do not carb load intentionally.
So what did you have for your evening meal?
Your fasting was better than I ever get.
The pre meal was good, but I'd be cutting some carbs from that evening meal.

There's a link in my signature to a site called bloodglucose101.
Have a gander at it. Full of masses of info on what blood glucose should be, and the long term consequences if they go too high, too regularly, or for too long. It makes for very interesting reading... :)

The thing to remember is that impaired glucose tolerance (pre d and diabetes itself) is progressive. Getting a diagnosis now may be a really good thing. Catch it early. Make changes. Stop the decline. Leaving it til later might make it much harder to control, with more severe dietary changes required... Worth knowing, eh?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You need to bear in mind that anyone with high'ish blood sugar, is not overweight and possibly still quite young may be a Late onset T1 (LADA). So, control the carbs and see what the doc says but if your blood sugar doesn't come under control with the usual starter tablets then come back to the forum for more advice. Some GPs are very good at spotting a LADA rather than T2 but others are a bit clueless as many of us have found!

Reactions: 2 people

gogobroom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the info, its been a few week and I had to chase for results, which they said were impaired morning but fine on the OGTT so were going to just test in 12 months. I then booked another appointment to see doc, still no real answers. Anyway today I went back again with about a months worth of blood testing records, self testing, with the same symptoms etc. They have put me on 3*500mg as day metformin and told me to go back in a month. This was a different doctor and she was more sympathetic.

Hopefully I may see an improvement in the coming weeks, but persistanceis the key.

Cheers again, a little more optimistic.