Time of the month

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Sorry to post a personal thing but does any other ladies find that when they are due or have there period there sugar level appears to spike n have higher readings??
Ive only been diagnosed jus over a year but for a few months ive thot im comin out my honey moon period n for a week or so then increase insulin but then have hypos so have to reduce again. But ive now thot there is a wee pattern n it seems when i have time of the month i get these spikes.
Is this coincidence or can this happen??

MushyPeaBrain

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You're not alone! This is very common and happens to most diabetic women. I didn't notice it so much until I went on an insulin pump and got tighter control. I run higher just before and then drop to hypos when I start. Another thing us women have to contend with :rolleyes:

loulou99782

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
The same thing happens to me. Blood sugar goes high just before that time, then have hypos first couple of days. What a pain in the bum:rolleyes:

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm type 2, but my highs are higher, and my lows are lower. Much more prone to hypos those days.
Mind you, my hypos can resemble PMT, and vice versa, so it's all bad. ;)

Reactions: 2 people

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Yes agree with the above, much more insulin resistant when due and a few days in it all returns to normal, it affects me 1 week out of 4 which is a pain when reviewing my HbA1c results.. I try to stay on top but always tricky.

CarolWoods

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Donna

I have been on a pump for around six months now and only discovered this phenomenon then. Yes, every month high for a few days beforehand, then dramatic drop once it has started and as everybody above hypos. I am thinking of setting up a pattern for when the highs occur. Any other pumpers tried this and succeeded?

Best regards and you are definitely not alone!

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Yes i am defo really high the now last few days no matter how much insulin i take im stayin really high.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Yes same here. The pattern isn't as straight forward as 2 days high then low. Mine tend to go randomly high and low and can start misbehaving 2/3 days before a period and another 2/3 days during it. Right pain!

Flakey Bake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have found the implanon (slow release progesterone contraceptive implant) has really help this pesky problem. My periods pretty much stop with the implant, my hormone cycle is less of a cycle and more of a plateau, which has levelled out my pre-menstrual insulin resistance. It works for me, but is not for everyone; I know other women experience side-effects or are actively trying to get pregnant. But if it is really a problem, this might be worth a go.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mmm most things but i say diabetes ha...
Oh yes every single month i even have to set my long one ever so slightly and back again lol its super fun ha

Donna1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Yeah its bad enough having diabetes and bad periods but when they counter act each other its worse. Plus i already get bad pmt so i was like a fiend this month between frustration at sugar levels n pmt. lol