Advice on breakfast cereals please

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My alternative to breakfast cereal is chia seed pudding which I mix with almond milk and dessicated coconut. Sometimes I add in nuts or berries. It doesn't raise my blood sugar and my blood pressure readings have also been the lowest, at 87-100 mmHg systolic at rest.

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
I tested porridge & fruit & fibre against a porridge made with powdered nuts.

The cereals spiked to 14 in an hour, fell rapidly & left me needing a snack
The nut porridge (which is now my regular b'fast) raises BG to about 8 & is steady at 5-6 through the morning.

I doubt if you can find a normal cereal which doesn't spike, & is sustaining.

Reactions: 4 people

khongsamita

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Newly diagnosed T2 and trying out breakfast cereals. I do like porridge but sometimes i want a cold cereal. Any recommendations for which ones dont send sugars through the roof? TIA x
Since confirmed as a T2 diabetic on 25 august, I m taking instant cooked oat as breakfast almost every morning mixed with raw bitter melon, cucumber, long bean or celery added with a table spoonful of Apple Cider Vinegar and 3 or 4 types of fruits throughout the day and my lunch is mostly 2 slices of wholegrain bread with salad ........ From 17.0, today my FBS has been quite stable between 5.1 to 5.4 range. Now, I m on Metaformin 500mg twice daily only with Gliciazide taken off as it caused my glucose level to go below 4.0 several times. Please be physically active too

loulou99782

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi snowdrop I find wheatabix or porridge with berries or rasins is good for me. Tesco special flakes are good too. I use unsweetened soya milk cause i got cows milk allergy. But use whatever milk you like.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Since confirmed as a T2 diabetic on 25 august, I m taking instant cooked oat as breakfast almost every morning mixed with raw bitter melon, cucumber, long bean or celery added with a table spoonful of Apple Cider Vinegar and 3 or 4 types of fruits throughout the day and my lunch is mostly 2 slices of wholegrain bread with salad ........ From 17.0, today my FBS has been quite stable between 5.1 to 5.4 range. Now, I m on Metaformin 500mg twice daily only with Gliciazide taken off as it caused my glucose level to go below 4.0 several times. Please be physically active too
What does that breakfast do to your blood sugar after eating it?:cool:

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have Tesco Hot Oat Cereal and add oatbran to it with some milk/water and find that I'm Ok until lunch

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just eat Shredded wheat with lactose free milk during the week. Will start testing when my meter arrives and let you know. When people say all cereals spike them, Are you sure its the not the sugars in the milk adding to your readings.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just eat Shredded wheat with lactose free milk during the week. Will start testing when my meter arrives and let you know. When people say all cereals spike them, Are you sure its the not the sugars in the milk adding to your readings.

For me, it is ALL grains that spike me. And cereals are grains. I have the same problems with rice, oats, barley, rye, quinoa, spelt... all grains. :( And wheat is by far the worst.

I hope you have better tolerances!

Reactions: 2 people

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I think when you get your meter. Shredded wheat will be off the menu. Hope I'm wrong for you

fumanchu

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I feed my hubby porridge made with water and salt and he is ok unless he takes a really big plateful. He adds a dollop of single cream as well.

ICR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I make my own muslli with scots porridge oats not cooked, sprinkle nuts and seeds on top. Add milk or yoghurt. It is a nice change from bacon and eggs.

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
scary, isn't it? :(
Gutted as I had just bought the large box of shredded wheat at Aldi. Need to work out what else I can have now as I eat breakfast when I get to work. Might have to boil some eggs at night to have next day.

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For me, one of the few positives to come out of being type 2 is guilt free bacon and egg for brekkie! I usually have some variation of it - mushroom & egg, mushroom omelette, scrambled egg. My BS is always at its highest in the morning so I am happy to keep the carbs as low as possible at that time.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Gutted as I had just bought the large box of shredded wheat at Aldi. Need to work out what else I can have now as I eat breakfast when I get to work. Might have to boil some eggs at night to have next day.

It is worth testing out what 1 shredded wheat does to you.

I'm guessing that it will still be too high, but might be doable til the end of the packet, especially if you combine it with greek yog or some scrambled egg...

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is worth testing out what 1 shredded wheat does to you.

I'm guessing that it will still be too high, but might be doable til the end of the packet, especially if you combine it with greek yog or some scrambled egg...
I have learned a lesson with shredded wheat. I looked at the front of the box and say it was less than 1% of daily sugar. I didn't look at the information on the back of the box as I didn't have my glasses with me. I was shocked how many carbs are in them. I now have myfitnesspal on my phone so I can check things before I buy them, I am also inputting my meals so it's telling me my daily carbs etc. According to it I ate to little yesterday. But carbs where around 105 for the whole day.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Boiled eggs keep in the fridge for at least a week.

Reactions: 2 people