Diabetes, life and all that - personal diary

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At the grounds of the nearby monastery, where I love to walk when time allows, there is a very beautiful water fountain backed by a mosaic depicting life on earth
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414648602.857464.jpg

Loosely translated the inscription on the mosaic in biblical Greek reads "Wondrous is all You have created in Your Wisdom"

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414648848.525904.jpg

I have to be honest that this has been playing on my mind.

It is not difficult to accept when one considers a beautiful flower, seemingly perfect in the elegance of its form

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414649153.766000.jpg

the delicacy of its design

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414649226.891202.jpg

Or the vibrancy of its colors

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414649286.843938.jpg

Nor is it difficult to accept when looking at the animal kingdom

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414649692.786817.jpg

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414649747.224410.jpg

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414649822.881355.jpg

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414649872.653714.jpg

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414649998.629757.jpg

But what of the rest?

What of plaques and illness and disasters?

What of war?

What of man!

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414650076.086913.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414683302.452162.jpg

On the motorway, heading to Paphos airport to catch our flight to Manchester.

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414683391.026539.jpg

As I am not driving I take the opportunity to enjoy the scenery

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414684062.188703.jpg

Particularly some dramatic skies above
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414684136.428970.jpg

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414684162.263961.jpg

As well as a nice sunset
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414684187.369705.jpg

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414684203.368042.jpg

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414684216.052809.jpg

Trying to take photographs from a car speeding down the motorway is quite a frustrating experience.

If I had my way we would probably be stopping every five minutes to give me the chance to shoot yet another interesting vista.

But we have a plane to catch and neither the wife or my son look as if they would forgive me if I caused them to miss it.

Reactions: 2 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Trying to find something diabetes friendly to eat at the airport is impossible. It all seems to be high carb rubbish. There's some ready made salads but they look so sorry I can't bring myself to eat them.

Unfortunately with a five hour plane journey ahead and no dinner served on board ( thank you Easyjet) going without is not an option.

I can see that the next few days may well end up being a challenge diet wise.

I suppose I have my routine in place and this trip is about to disrupt it.

alliebee

Its got to be so hard I guess. Mind you all easy jet offer is rolls and crisps at exorbitant prices on board

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Might be a good excuse to snuggle up to the wife :)

But with our eleven year old sharing a room... even that may be out.

I am sure we will be fine as long as we don't let the weather affect us.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Actually I find that I have no problem ordering at "proper" restaurants, where they are quite happy to replace carbs for extra salad or veg.

The problem seems to be at self service, fast food places where everything is standardized and ready prepared.

Reactions: 2 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
From what I saw tomorrow will be reasonably dry but the weekend will be really wet.

The good thing Is that the forecast for Cyprus for this weekend is also rain.

We are prepared for the weather to be not very nice and hopefully we want let that spoil our time.

The son and I want to visit a couple of museums and the wife was talking to me about some huge indoor shopping arcade she wants to visit.

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just getting settled into our hotel.

Whoever designs passenger seats for Easyjet must be a real sadist. There is just no way to get comfortable on them. As for leg room .....

My son made me laugh as his first comment when we stepped out of the airport was " Dad what is this light in the sky?" I did not know what he was referring to at first. "Why is the sky not dark? Where are the stars?"

Say hallo to blanket cloud cover son!

At least it is not raining and it is nowhere near as cold as I feared it would be.

Pavlos

Reactions: 3 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sometimes I hate my biological clock.

Woke up at five a.m. this morning, less than four hours after going to bed. It's pitch black, everyone else is asleep and I have absolutely no business being awake.

Why am I awake?

Five a.m. UK time is seven a.m. Cyprus time, so a little letter than my usual waking up time.

At least my fasting glucose is a very good 5,1 mmol, despite going to bed at 6,7 mmol last night ( six whole hours after a toasted ham and cheese roll at the airport)

Pavlos

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Sometimes I hate my biological clock.

Woke up at five a.m. this morning, less than four hours after going to bed. It's pitch black, everyone else is asleep and I have absolutely no business being awake.

Why am I awake?

Five a.m. UK time is seven a.m. Cyprus time, so a little letter than my usual waking up time.

At least my fasting glucose is a very good 5,1 mmol, despite going to bed at 6,7 mmol last night ( six whole hours after a toasted ham and cheese roll at the airport)

Pavlos

I'm gonna follow you thru this as I'm planning a LOT longer trip than you (US from OZ) and I need all the advice I can get re meals

Take care Pavlos

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At six o'clock exactly, with the room still bathed in darkness, the silence was broken by a very cheerful "Good morning" from my son.

"Good morning. Now go back to sleep before you wake your mother up!" I respond.

He returns with " It's eight o clock in Cyprus, this is when I usually wake up. I can not go back to sleep!"

My first thought is " Yeap, that's my boy all right".

Followed by a more horrified " What do you mean you usually wake up at eight. You are at school at half past seven each morning?!"

My son burst out laughing.

Have a great day everyone

Pavlos

Reactions: 8 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Finally light breaks and I look to see what is outside our window.

What last night looked like this
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414742809.411561.jpg

Is now revealed to be a rather modern looking pedestrian bridge over some small river or canal. Trinity Bridge by the famous architect Santiago Kalatrava apparently.

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414742848.067399.jpg

Still no sign of rain fortunately.

If that holds I expect we will be able to do a fair bit of walking around town. If the rain does arrive I still expect a fair bit of walking, only indoors this time; the museum of science and technology is our fall back solution in case of bad weather. A case of when rather than if, I suspect.

Nevertheless ,I decide to kickstart the day with a visit to the hotel gym.

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414743353.523026.jpg

At seven a.m. I was the first and only person there. I was pleased about that; made me feel really virtuous lol!

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414743208.782387.jpg

A nice 50 min 5km session on the treadmill, means that I can now enjoy a nice guilt free English breakfast.

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414743323.040165.jpg

Pavlos

Reactions: 7 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Weather more than behaved during our first day here, which gave us a chance to walk about the centre of Manchester; seems nice and compact with a lot of the museums and shops within walking distance of our hotel.
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414772057.129114.jpg

The Manchester Cathedral is definitely worth visiting; a building which manages to feel a lot larger on the inside than it looks on the outside

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414773922.523078.jpg

It has some very interesting colorful and distinctly abstract stained glass windows

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414774014.530983.jpg

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414774063.151398.jpg

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414774093.385271.jpg

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414774189.613493.jpg

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414774260.951680.jpg

The only sour note, the homeless person sleeping rough at the Cathedral's doors. Luckily this is not a sight we have grown used to in Cyprus and to be honest I still find it a bit shocking.

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414774387.113404.jpg

The Exchange theater has a remarkable architectural setting within the Royal Exchange building. Perhaps a place to catch a play tomorrow.

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414774601.414167.jpg

Just outside, a tribute to those lost at war
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414774716.670770.jpg

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414774735.241539.jpg

By this time the son started complaining that he could not walk anymore, while the wife was obviously tempted by the abundance of shops around us.

The solution to our problem was for my son and I to catch a film at the Odeon IMAX

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414774916.610131.jpg

giving the wife some free time.

Now back at the hotel resting a bid before we go to the Opera for a performance of La Traviata tonight.

Now how we will manage to get the son to sit through that, we shall wait and see.

So, so far so much more than just good!

Pavlos

Reactions: 6 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Up at four thirty a.m. this morning. At least I am reliably consistent.

You know what will happen. I will adjust to UK time only when I have to get back to Cyprus time.

La Traviata last night went surprisingly well. I love classical music but I was a bit apprehensive about sitting through a whole opera, from which I was only familiar with one aria previously to be honest, the famous drinking song

As for my son, I need not have worried, he behaved like an angel.

Well, slept like one anyway.

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414817060.234004.jpg

He slept from the middle of Act 2 until he was waken up be the audience's loud applause at the very end, just as the curtains were opening up for the cast to take their final bow.

"Wow", he said, " how did they manage to change the stage scenery so fast?"

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414817378.592546.jpg

Pavlos

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Glucose 5,2 this morning, to go with a 5,1 yesterday morning.

So far both my diet and my glucose levels are firmly under control, despite being on a short holiday break in the UK.

Wife wants us to go either for an Indian or a Chinese meal today so I expect this will be the biggest challenge to my self discipline.

The trick is knowing what to order or more accurately what not to order: rice, bread or sweet and sour sauce not being the best of choices for me.

Unfortunately, so is pasta. We walked right past San Carlo Italian restaurant yesterday, it is no more than a couple of hundred meters from our hotel.

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414819333.975571.jpg

I have seen this restaurant mentioned a number of times in the sports pages of newspapers, as being a particular favorite amongst the city's various football stars.

I would not mind dining like a star for a day.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Glucose 5,2 this morning, to go with a 5,1 yesterday morning.

So far both my diet and my glucose levels are firmly under control, despite being on a short holiday break in the UK.

Wife wants us to go either for an Indian or a Chinese meal today so I expect this will be the biggest challenge to my self discipline.

The trick is knowing what to order or more accurately what not to order: rice, bread or sweet and sour sauce not being the best of choices for me.

Unfortunately, so is pasta. We walked right past San Carlo Italian restaurant yesterday, it is no more than a couple of hundred meters from our hotel.

View attachment 7850

I have seen this restaurant mentioned a number of times in the sports pages of newspapers, as being a particular favorite amongst the city's various football stars.

I would not mind dining like a star for a day.

Good news Pavlos

Let us all know what you eat insofar as variety is concerned :)

Take care

Mike