Glucose Level Greater Than 10

jprhinoceros

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
What should the blood glucose level be in the interval immediately after the meal and before two hours have gone by. Documentation always gives us what the level should be before meals and two hours after but should I be concerned if the glucose level is greater than ten during that two hour interval. What is a reasonable level during that two hours?

Reactions: 2 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, this is a difficult one to answer but for me my targets are under 8 at the peak. I fail on this when I am going through a "raise carb levels" phase but I understand that reason. I have read you will never go above 11.4 mmol/l as a non-diabetic (surprisingly high) but do not know how true that is. I find when I go over 8.5 I start to feel tired and want to sleep on the sofa if I am sat down. I think we all have our own levels, for example, having tested my wife and daughter they go to 8.0 and 8.5 respectively at their peak when not "overcarbing" (all on my meter). I am like my daughter and go to 8.5 mmol/l. Interestingly, I wonder if this 0.5mmol/l difference is an indication of potential genes indicators (one day we may know)

Anyway in summary - for me I try to set a peak at 8 as a target - my body seems to have a natural level of 8.5.

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The 2h post meal idea assumes that this will be your peak - ie at 2h after eating your bg will be the highest. Unfortunately this is not always the case and depends on your body and what you ate.
Some (poorly trained) HCPs don't understand this, and look only at the 2h mark, no matter what your bg does in the meantime (or after). So if you started at 5mmol, went to 20mmol at 1h and dropped to 10mmol at 2h, they would say it's quite good! Because they would only look at 5 -> 10 change, ignoring the 20 in the middle...

Basically, as said above, your bg should be within reasonable (for you) limits at all times. You have to set those limits for yourself, depending on your body and what you can achieve. I usually go for "single digits" and I'm quite happy. Anything above 10 and my body starts pushing glucose out through kidneys, so toilet trips start ;)

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A good target to aim for is under 7.8 at any time after a meal. However, if you start high, you will finish high, so sometimes it is best to look at the actual rise and ideally try to keep that under 2mmol/l if you can. This is not always easy!

I test at 1 hour, 2 hours, and if necessary at 3 hours. Initially my peaks were at the 2 hour mark. They are now always at the 1 hour mark. I assume this is because my insulin resistance has improved.

Reactions: 6 people

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I find my personal peak time is @ 2 1/2hrs. This can change with exercise, stress, change in routine etc etc...:eek: So not easy to pin it down. I am generally happy at 8 but always aim for as low as possible

malcolm myles

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just been diagnosed with type 2 as I am under treatment for leukaemia and at the stage where they are pumping me full of steriods I have readings of 26 or more with lowest yet of 11.8 am on insulin twice a day but would loveto be single figs, my hhighest is about 2 hr after eating

Reactions: 2 people

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just been diagnosed with type 2 as I am under treatment for leukaemia and at the stage where they are pumping me full of steriods I have readings of 26 or more with lowest yet of 11.8 am on insulin twice a day but would loveto be single figs, my hhighest is about 2 hr after eating
I know how you feel. Been there. Done that :nurse:. Still of work recovering from the effects of chemotherapy. Last dollop of that was the end of August.
I was diagnosed in hospital and put on insulin. When on steroids I had to take 35 units am and 25 pm. Now on 18 and 8. Humulin m3. It does get better. Hang in there and ask lots of questions

malcolm myles

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Had my bone marrow transplant in july going through the graft verses host disease hence the steroids

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Had my bone marrow transplant in july going through the graft verses host disease hence the steroids

Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma was the one that got me.
Chemotherapy once every three weeks for 21 weeks.

malcolm myles

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Aml for me 4 lots chemo then high risk of return so bone marrow transplant on humlin m3 at 10 am and 8 pm but just started and still got readings of 26 yet

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Aml for me 4 lots chemo then high risk of return so bone marrow transplant on humlin m3 at 10 am and 8 pm but just started and still got readings of 26 yet
Take m3 around.d 30min before I have breakfast and same for evening meal. I'm not one to go against your doctor but you really .need to increase your dose. :writer:. I had a battle in hospital with the doc's over my dose. I won !!!

malcolm myles

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Same for me timing wise 10 am ment dose not time, ringing dn monday this has just started so first sets of readings I expext them to up my dose

Nuthead

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Same for me timing wise 10 am ment dose not time, ringing dn monday this has just started so first sets of readings I expext them to up my dose
I do.adjust my dose if bg goes higher or lower and also if eating our etc.. with m3 your supposed to take the same carb intake for the same meals every day. Doctor in hospital who put me on insulin said I would need to adjust accordingly when on steroids. I found my own dose going up 10% each shot until bg was in single figures.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What should the blood glucose level be in the interval immediately after the meal and before two hours have gone by. Documentation always gives us what the level should be before meals and two hours after but should I be concerned if the glucose level is greater than ten during that two hour interval. What is a reasonable level during that two hours?
this should help with your testing

http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php