Probably now T2

A

AnnieC

After a few years of being prediabetic it seems I have finally tipped over into the T2 zone My latest annual blood test result was BG 7.1 but before the doctor will confirm it I have to have another blood test. She does find me quite a mystery for T2 as she said I don't tick any of the boxes for it....I am not overweight never have been , I don't have any other medical conditions that could make me predisposed to it and I don't take steriods.....the reason the doctor thinks for my husband being diagnosed T2 this year..... In fact she said I am doing really well for my age..75. with no other significant problems with my health or my mobility so at least thats good and something to be thankful for

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sorry Annie, but your 7.1 may just have been a blip. We all know how unreliable these fasting tests can be with other factors coming in to play. Good luck with your next test - I assume this is an HbA1c?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Annie, you also have to remember that as we get older our pancreas, along with everything else, starts to wear out. Such is life. All we can do is be as kind to our organs as we know how. However, hold on to the fact that your BGT may have been a blip until your HbA1c.

Reactions: 4 people
A

AnnieC

Yes that is just what my doctor said our bodies are like machines and like those as we age some things do start to show wear and tear unfortunately we can't reverse age .Even if I do have T2 at least I am lucky In only having it in my later years

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sorry Annie, if you have joined the club.
But at least you are in the best possible place for information, advice and moral support.
You are certainly better informed than many newly diagnosed T2s!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Sorry to hear that! If you need to get a meter then the cheapest one is the SD codefree. I have attached the link and the discount code. 5 packs of 50 are £5 a pack with this code.
http://www.homehealth-uk.com
image.jpg

Reactions: 2 people
K

Kat100

After a few years of being prediabetic it seems I have finally tipped over into the T2 zone My latest annual blood test result was BG 7.1 but before the doctor will confirm it I have to have another blood test. She does find me quite a mystery for T2 as she said I don't tick any of the boxes for it....I am not overweight never have been , I don't have any other medical conditions that could make me predisposed to it and I don't take steriods.....the reason the doctor thinks for my husband being diagnosed T2 this year..... In fact she said I am doing really well for my age..75. with no other significant problems with my health or my mobility so at least thats good and something to be thankful for
Hi @AnnieC sorry to hear this ...thinking of you ..hope you get your next blood tests soon ...sometimes there is no answer no ever hard we look ...
We will support you ...Kat

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Annie, sorry to hear your news. I won't bore you with what works for me though because I know you are not interested in doing LCHF yourself as since Dec 2013 you have been saying that you aren't interested in it because you don't want to lose weight, or cut carbs any more or increase fats. Best of luck with finding what does work for you. I will watch the advice given on this thread with interest.

Best wishes

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people
A

AnnieC

Hi Annie, sorry to hear your news. I won't bore you with what works for me though because I know you are not interested in doing LCHF yourself as since Dec 2013 you have been saying that you aren't interested in it because you don't want to lose weight, or cut carbs any more or increase fats. Best of luck with finding what does work for you. I will watch the advice given on this thread with interest.

Best wishes
Yes Zand you are right I just don't feel I can go very low with the carbs because I struggle to keep my weight up. I don't eat any rice or pasta but I do have some Burgen bread and small amounts off new potatoes each day. I was always a low fatter but now I have made myself have full fat cheese full fat greek yogurt and I eat quite a lot of eggs also nuts as snacks but I still don't really like red meat so I do mostly have chicken. My fasting blood test was 7.1 so not hugely high BG levels and mostly when I test my levels after meals they are in the 6's or lower so don't think I am doing to bad

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes Zand you are right I just don't feel I can go very low with the carbs because I struggle to keep my weight up. I don't eat any rice or pasta but I do have some Burgen bread and small amounts off new potatoes each day. I was always a low fatter but now I have made myself have full fat cheese full fat greek yogurt and I eat quite a lot of eggs also nuts as snacks but I still don't really like red meat so I do mostly have chicken. My fasting blood test was 7.1 so not hugely high BG levels and mostly when I test my levels after meals they are in the 6's or lower so don't think I am doing to bad

If your after meal results are that good then you may well escape diagnosis - maybe you have (or are developing) a bit of a dawn phenomenon.

When will you get the results?

Reactions: 2 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
My hubbie is non diabetic but he still eats lchf with me. If you struggle with losing weight then could you face lchf? I think it sounds worse than it is. I got into it because my brain couldn't compute eating starchy carbs which raised my bs but then taking meds to bring them down. I don't go out of my way to eat huge quantities of fat. I don't down pints of cream or drink bullet proof coffee but I have cheese and salted nuts as snacks or at lunchtime. At first it was weird as I wanted bread. But if you think about it, starchy carbs are either fillers or conduits for yummy sauces like pasta. I now don't want rice or pasta. We had chilli the other day without rice but with guacamole, sour cream and grated cheese and I didn't miss the rice. I guess in some respects it will be a huge experiment and it will be interesting to hear how it all goes. Good luck and let me know if you want any recipes! I thoroughly recommend chocolate mug cake or Thai cod soup!

K

Kat100

I have read about some other members who don't need to loose weight on the forum ...they to want to keep weight on ...
I also know that the older we get the harder it is ...
Do what you feel is right ...and let us know how you get on ....
Hope your husband is coping as well Annie ....

Reactions: 9 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes Annie, you will know what's right. Big hugs from me. :)

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to hear that Annie. Maybe as brunneria says your higher fasting level was dawn phenomena and the levels will even out with the hba1c. Fingers crossed x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 3 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If your after meal results are that good then you may well escape diagnosis - maybe you have (or are developing) a bit of a dawn phenomenon.

When will you get the results?

Having had time to think about this, I think @Brunneria is right. You could well escape diagnosis. Fingers crossed for you.