Diabetes, life and all that - personal diary

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good news Pavlos

Let us all know what you eat insofar as variety is concerned :)

Take care

Mike
Well yesterday's breakfast was a good old English fry up: two fried eggs, sunny side up, sausages, bacon tomato and mushrooms. No bread or cereals but I did have some grapefruit segments.

Breakfast was very filling and quite late, so by the time we got round to having lunch it was four o clock. I had a grilled beef steak with garlic butter and a mixed green salad, I requested instead of the French fries the steak was supposed to be served with.

This ended up being my last meal of the day as I did not feel hungry enough for dinner before going to the opera at seven thirty p.m. and by the time we got back it was eleven p.m. and having been up since about five a.m. all I wanted to do was hit the sack.

I will try and include some more entries about the meals I eat from now on.

Pavlos

Reactions: 4 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Well yesterday's breakfast was a good old English fry up: two fried eggs, sunny side up, sausages, bacon tomato and mushrooms. No bread or cereals but I did have some grapefruit segments.

Breakfast was very filling and quite late, so by the time we got round to having lunch it was four o clock. I had a grilled beef steak with garlic butter and a mixed green salad, I requested instead of the French fries the steak was supposed to be served with.

This ended up being my last meal of the day as I did not feel hungry enough for dinner before going to the opera at seven thirty p.m. and by the time we got back it was eleven p.m. and having been up since about five a.m. all I wanted to do was hit the sack.

I will try and include some more entries about the meals I eat from now on.

Pavlos

Discipline :) I face the same issues with my impending trip to the US. I REALLY want to guarantee my needs are catered for even if I go business class.

Strict all the time until I get there and beyond. No chances at all.

I'm almost paranoid about it. Wish I knew why.

Mike

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Discipline :) I face the same issues with my impending trip to the US. I REALLY want to guarantee my needs are catered for even if I go business class.

Strict all the time until I get there and beyond. No chances at all.

I'm almost paranoid about it. Wish I knew why.

Mike
I don't think you need to worry so much.

The main thing is to know what food to avoid/severely restrict and that is the main carbs sources: bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, sweets and fruit juices.

I treat fruit as a special category, although high in sugar, I will have these in moderation, if I have tested and I know my levels are good or if I know that I am about to exercise.

Then you are left with a choice of main protein, in my case I will rotate beef, pork, chicken, fish or pulses with a combination of a salad ( so many to chose from green, coleslaw, Greek, Cesar's etc) and or vegetables ( again lots of choices broccoli, cauliflower, courgettes, aubergines, to name but a few). You can also play around with spices/dressings as well to add variety though I tend to go for a simple olive oil and lemon dressing most of the time.

The main thing is to test regularly. That way, even if you get things wrong, you will only have got it wrong for one meal. You can take corrective action with your choice of your next meal or you can go for a bid of extra exercise.

Holiday's are easy in my opinion as we have more time in our hands, do lots of walking anyway and are under less pressure.

Please relax and enjoy your trip. I am sure you will be fine.

Pavlos

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was pointing out to the wife that it is Saturday night tonight so we will have to book early if we want to go anywhere when out of the darkness my son's horrified voice was heard:

"Not the opera again"

Bless him!

Pavlos

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brilliant sunshine and blue sky over Manchester this morning.
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414828731.615915.jpg

Meanwhile I just heard that back home they've just been hit by a hailstorm.

Don't want to jinx us but it sure looks like we picked the right time to get here.

Pavlos

Reactions: 2 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another early morning session at the gym has resulted in an hour's worth of exercise or 6,7 more kilometers under the belt.

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414836544.195936.jpg

Or should that be on the belt, as that was all spent on the treadmill.

I was again the first person there. Not sure if that is me being keen to get to the exercise or keen to get the exercise out of the way. A bit of both I suspect.

Now having earned it, literally through the sweat of my brow, on to the serious business of the morning.

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414836909.706728.jpg

Eggs Benedict for breakfast.

Pavlos

alliebee

Oh Pavlos. Where have your pics gone from the museum today?? I was just looking and they disappeared??

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A morning spent touring two shrines to education, science and technology.

First the University of Manchester John Rylands Library, a truly remarkable building.
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414856027.110517.jpg

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414856048.896527.jpg

In many ways it resembles a place of worship, particularly the magnificent reading room.
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414856106.504077.jpg

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414856125.122443.jpg

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414856161.120924.jpg

only the Gods worshiped here are the leaders of thought and learning

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414856187.790216.jpg

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414856205.578812.jpg

Then on to the museum of science and industry
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414856226.429586.jpg

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414856241.047648.jpg

Before heading back to the hotel

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414856264.282942.jpg

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414856280.551570.jpg

For a quick lunch of some spicy pumpkin soup.

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414856300.635278.jpg

Was at 4,8 before lunch and 5,0 an hour and a half later.

Pavlos

Last edited by a moderator:

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dinner: king prawn and scallop special at San Carlo with French beans and mushrooms side order.
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414865391.169427.jpg

2 hour post prandial count: 5,3 mmol

Pavlos

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just been to the City store to get ourselves outfitted with replica jerseys, scarves etc. got to look the part for tomorrow's derby.
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414870340.386823.jpg

With all the walking about town, today's step count is almost 18.000 steps, yesterday's was about 16.000 steps; both well above my daily average of just under 14.000

Pavlos

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I don't think you need to worry so much.

The main thing is to know what food to avoid/severely restrict and that is the main carbs sources: bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, sweets and fruit juices.

I treat fruit as a special category, although high in sugar, I will have these in moderation, if I have tested and I know my levels are good or if I know that I am about to exercise.

Then you are left with a choice of main protein, in my case I will rotate beef, pork, chicken, fish or pulses with a combination of a salad ( so many to chose from green, coleslaw, Greek, Cesar's etc) and or vegetables ( again lots of choices broccoli, cauliflower, courgettes, aubergines, to name but a few). You can also play around with spices/dressings as well to add variety though I tend to go for a simple olive oil and lemon dressing most of the time.

The main thing is to test regularly. That way, even if you get things wrong, you will only have got it wrong for one meal. You can take corrective action with your choice of your next meal or you can go for a bid of extra exercise.

Holiday's are easy in my opinion as we have more time in our hands, do lots of walking anyway and are under less pressure.

Please relax and enjoy your trip. I am sure you will be fine.

Pavlos

Thanks again for your good wishes and advice Pavlos. At least the trip is one way :)

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
English breakfast and a cuppa
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414914140.210104.jpg

At 4,4 mmol I was too low for any exercise this morning before breakfast; the risk of precipitating a liver dump too great.

Having just finished breakfast, I am now too full to exercise!

I never thought I would ever complain about my sugar level being too low in the morning.

The big game is on today: City vs United, the main reason we are now in Manchester.

History has shown that this is a one off game, a "cup final" with any result possible, almost irrespective of league form or position.

I do hope we win, of course.

Not only would my son find it hard to take otherwise, but it would be a bit of an anticlimax to what has so far proved an excellent trip for me as well.

So fingers crossed...

Included in our match ticket price is a three course meal at one of Manchester's hotels before transfer to the ground.

No idea what the menu will be.

At least with the game on early, it's a 13:30 start, and having just had a good breakfast, I should not be too hungry then anyway, which should make saying no to any inappropriate food easier to do.

Come on City!

Pavlos

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just bumped into Mr Khaldoon Mumbarak, chairman of Manchester City football club, having breakfast two tables away from me.

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414917072.608634.jpg

I took the opportunity to go over, introduce myself, and wish him well for the game. He was very nice indeed and seemed genuinely interested to listen to me. He even asked if we had good seats.

It really is not like me to walk up to a perfect stranger and introduce myself.

At least I did not make a complete fool of myself and ask him for his autograph or to take a picture with me.

Let's hope it proves a good omen!

Pavlos

Reactions: 6 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Reckon I'm happy?

Pre dinner 5.3 then 1 hour 6.0 and 2 hours 5.8. Love you guys and what you've done for me :):):):)

Bless all of you

Mike

Reactions: 5 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A privilege to meet veteran City and England goalkeeper Joe Corrigan, a true legend and a real hero of mine growing up.
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414929726.128980.jpg

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414929757.630271.jpg

Proving a really special day so far.

Forget my son, I am the one who is really having a ball.

ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1414929870.836270.jpg

Pavlos

Reactions: 5 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Magical day for you both (so far), and what a handsome pair you make.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Great blog and thread Pavlos .
I loved reading this and seeing your journey/photos
in your everyday life, travels,hobbies/interests and
also your own diabetes you handle with such positiveness .

Very inspiring and encouraging I must add :)

Reactions: 4 people