Confused!!

Diane3010

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you fancy a change from spicy food, pearl barley makes an excellent substitute for rice, including rissotto rice and has a very low GI, one of the lowest. Here is a nice recipe for a mushroom rissotto with leeks and garlic:

http://www.stylist.co.uk/life/recipes/pearl-barley-risotto-with-mushrooms-leeks-and-garlic

mushroomrissotto.jpg

and if you make enough to have some left over, you can make arancini the following day. All you do is get a small cube of mozarella cheese and use chilled left over rissotto to form a ball around it. Coat in egg yolk and some breadcrumbs. I use a stale slice of wholegrain rye bread blitzed. You never use much anyway so it shouldn't trouble you. Then either shallow fry or deep fry. As the rissotti is cooked, all you are doing is crisping up the shell, warming the rissotto and making the mozarella gooey. Serve with a chilli sauce, garlic suace, cream cheese and chives sauce, whatever you fancy.

VfTTtM05HjQ6eA-640m.jpg
Wow I love this, I will really miss risotto so that's a fantastic substitute!! Thanks so much for that.

Reactions: 2 people

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My diet was so BORING untiI joined this forum. Did I really class fish and chips as a treat? I made a rich beef tagine the colour of orangey chocolate the other night and my wife and I gazed at each other across the kitchen table with the nearest to an expression of mutual adoration we've exchanged for 25 years.
Have you see the film Babette's Feast?

I couldn't agree more!

I never heard of the film Babette's Feast but googled it up and found a page which claims to provide the menu:

Potage a la Tortue
Turtle Soup
Amontillado Sherry
Blini Demidoff au Caviar
Buckwheat cakes with caviar
Veuve Clicquot Champagne
Caille en Sarcophage

avec Sauce Perigourdine
Quail in Puff Pastry Shell with Foie Gras and Truffle Sauce
Clos de Vougeot
La Salade
Pelligrino
Les Fromages
Cheese Selection
Port
Baba au Rhum avec les Figues
Rum Infused Yeast Cake with Dried Figs
Coffee

Up until the Rum Baba, it sounds ok for type 2 diabetics.

Buckwheat by the way isn't wheat and is OK for most of us.

Personally I am into more 'earthy' or 'farmhouse' cooking and especially things which are slow cooked. Getting an interest in cooking even prompted me to create my own herb garden. I fancy building one of these herb garden spirals next spring:

Herb%20Spiral.JPG

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What a great idea for a herb patch. When we get our house with a garden I'll copy it if you don't mind. I have herbs growing on an allotment but it's a mile away and I feel herb use should be intuitive & spontaneous.
Babette's Feast is a story of good food as nourishment for the soul.
I use buckwheat -- didn't realise it was on the Feast menu.

Once again, apologies to the OP

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Diane3010

Hi and welcome!

You've had some fab advice in this thread, but I want to point something out:

If you change your diet before you have your second blood test, you will muck up your diagnosis.

I completely understand that you want to feel better, and that changing your diet may well be key to that. But if your test results are high and then low, you will create confusing and contradictory results.

So can I suggest that you spend the time until that 2nd test reading, planning and drooling over recipe books, but please don't change your diet until after the test. :)

Diane3010

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Diane3010

Hi and welcome!

You've had some fab advice in this thread, but I want to point something out:

If you change your diet before you have your second blood test, you will muck up your diagnosis.

I completely understand that you want to feel better, and that changing your diet may well be key to that. But if your test results are high and then low, you will create confusing and contradictory results.

So can I suggest that you spend the time until that 2nd test reading, planning and drooling over recipe books, but please don't change your diet until after the test. :)
That really makes sense. I have made small changed to my diet since I found out. No sweet stuff, less carbs, switched to whole meal pasta etc. I was so keen to bring it down at my next blood test which is next Wednesday. It's all so confusing. Thank you for the advice. I do eat a healthy diet anyway have just been more strict with the fruit and chocolate at nighttime!! Lol x