What next ?

alliebee

Hi Alliebee
I see you are type 1.5 what does that mean ? My nurse said that to me once as I have been diabetic for 20 years and on insulin for the last 10 years she said that I probably am not producing any insulin myself any more is this what type 1.5 means ?
Hi no I need to change my signature. They eventually decided I was Type 2 after much fuss and some weight loss and I stopped needing the insulin. Type 1.5 or LADA is late onset adult type

alliebee

I must have had massive insulin resistance. Doing well now thankfully. All I needed was weight loss and very few carbs

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for all your replies :) I know my diet is poor and I am in denial that it is affecting me. I suppose at nearly 50 years old I also know how difficult this is going to be because I have always been a fussy eater. I will look on line to find some recipes and ideas to change my eating habits. Wish me luck as this is going to be really hard:banghead:

the first 3 days are very hard, I used peanut butter, coconut oil to get me through it.. then it's easier

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm For me, the more carbs we eat the more carbs we want. they don’t give up easy.
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/firstweek.htm

blood testing
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/14045524.php
http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm
food counting
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf it’s a long page and a video
http://www.lowcarbdietitian.com/blog/carbohydrate-restriction-an-option-for-diabetes-management

alliebee

Jack you are so great. You post such great info and I can't tell you how much you helped me. I just wanted to say thanks. I've lost the 2 stone doing great on lchf and feel fantastic. So thankyou :)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Jack you are so great. You post such great info and I can't tell you how much you helped me. I just wanted to say thanks. I've lost the 2 stone doing great on lchf and feel fantastic. So thankyou :)
I heard about it here from the old timers :)
it helped me so much, I just wanted to pass it on. I think most of the current diet problems will be fixed if people put the fats back in the diets that were taken out in the 1970's..

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Why not test out some of your meals and see for yourself what they do to your levels. I also love my bread and spuds, and eat very few veggies, but I have managed to low carb with the help of my meter and by portion control of the carby foods. I had 2 slices of granary bread with tuna mayo once. I shot right up to double figures, and it frightened me to death. I tried again with one slice of Hovis Wholemeal Seed Sensations and barely a rise at all. I now know I can eat one slice, but definitely not 2 slices, and I am happy with that. Similarly with spuds. By using my meter I know I can cope with 2 or 3 boiled or roasted ones, or a small handful of homemade chips (about 6 or 7). Much better than none at all. There is no need to cut out your favourite foods completely, just eat them in moderation, in other words cut right down on the portions and increase your protein and/or fats to compensate.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
By using my meter I know I can cope with 2 or 3 boiled or roasted ones, or a small handful of homemade chips (about 6 or 7). Much better than none at all.

Exactly the way to use test strips to adjust the carbs in your diet, congratulations
clap.gif

Although I found there was no reason for me to raise the amount of proteins or fats in my diet as I was overweight at diagnoses so needed to eat less anyway and then as the weight came off my slimmer, lighter body required fewer calories to fuel itself so everything equalled out without the need to increase anything.

In fact I now find that when I increase the calories in my diet I put weight on so I still have to watch out for high calorie foods like cheese and even alcohol to an extent although I am not a heavy drinker, I did all that in my youth ;)

Reactions: 3 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Exactly the way to use test strips to adjust the carbs in your diet, congratulations
clap.gif

It's the way I have always used my meter. I was not going to spend the rest of my life depriving myself of my favourite foods because I know I would have fallen off the waggon. I can still eat my favourite bread and a few spuds, and do so every day. I never ate rice or pasta anyway. I arrived at portions I could cope with, and now find I can increase those portions a tiny bit as my pancreas starts to behave better due to a large weight loss. I also know I can eat half a slice of fried white bread with my bacon and egg meals without making any difference to my levels.

Although I found there was no reason for me to raise the amount of proteins or fats in my diet as I was overweight at diagnoses so needed to eat less anyway and then as the weight came off my slimmer, lighter body required fewer calories to fuel itself so everything equalled out without the need to increase anything.

In fact I now find that when I increase the calories in my diet I put weight on so I still have to watch out for high calorie foods like cheese and even alcohol to an extent although I am not a heavy drinker, I did all that in my youth ;)

Sadly that isn't working for me. I lost 4 stones and am struggling to stop losing. I am having to increase my calories. I've done this bit by bit over the past 6 to 8 weeks, but a few more are still needed. Hopefully not many.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's the way I have always used my meter. I was not going to spend the rest of my life depriving myself of my favourite foods because I know I would have fallen off the waggon. I can still eat my favourite bread and a few spuds, and do so every day. I never ate rice or pasta anyway. I arrived at portions I could cope with, and now find I can increase those portions a tiny bit as my pancreas starts to behave better due to a large weight loss. I also know I can eat half a slice of fried white bread with my bacon and egg meals without making any difference to my levels.here are more carbs than your BG will allow
Sadly that isn't working for me. I lost 4 stones and am struggling to stop losing. I am having to increase my calories. I've done this bit by bit over the past 6 to 8 weeks, but a few more are still needed. Hopefully not many.
now that you have reached around your target weight, it's fine for you to add some carbs and workout what diet you are going to run long term, no one should be on a diet they can't sustain. one thing for sure you have reset the clock for when you may need meds.
are you using myfitnesspal or similar to get your calories where you need them?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
now that you have reached around your target weight, it's fine for you to add some carbs and workout what diet you are going to run long term, no one should be on a diet they can't sustain. one thing for sure you have reset the clock for when you may need meds.
are you using myfitnesspal or similar to get your calories where you need them?

Yes, I use MFP and have from the start. I was on 1200 calories, now increased to 1650, so quite a big jump. Nothing less than 1650 stopped me losing. It slowed the loss down, but still the pounds came off! Hopefully now stable.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I use MFP and have from the start. I was on 1200 calories, now increased to 1650, so quite a big jump. Nothing less than 1650 stopped me losing. It slowed the loss down, but still the pounds came off! Hopefully now stable.
I have put this up before about increasing carb levels, have you seen it? also allow for any insulin resistance you may have left, that also affects the carbs
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/carblevel.htm

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/atkinsdiet/qt/carbladder.htm
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/southbeachdiet/a/howtophasetwo.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Jack. I believe I am already at my personal carb tolerance level at the moment. I never have been very low carb. I aim for 60g to 65g a day on average. Much more and my BS levels become affected. I'm happy with that. I am not deprived, have never ever had carb cravings, don't have a sweet tooth, and am never hungry. I would, however, love a large vanilla slice ;) Sadly, they are not on the list of possible add backs!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Jack. I believe I am already at my personal carb tolerance level at the moment. I never have been very low carb. I aim for 60g to 65g a day on average. Much more and my BS levels become affected. I'm happy with that. I am not deprived, have never ever had carb cravings, don't have a sweet tooth, and am never hungry. I would, however, love a large vanilla slice ;) Sadly, they are not on the list of possible add backs!
vanilla slices never are :)