type 1 and pregnant

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone, i'm wondering if there are any type 1 diabetics who are pregnant? This is my 3rd baby, was originally diagnosed with GD in my first pregnancy, but when they realised i didn't follow the characteristics with age/weight/no family history etc i had blood tests which confirmed slow onset type 1. Currently on basal/bolus. I'm unwell atm with a cold and my levels are averaging 12 all day which i know isn't good, my 2 babies were born at 8lb 6oz and 7lb 1oz which are very normal/healthy weights, neither had problems at birth regulating their levels (as babies born to diabetic mums can often have hypoglycemia at birth)
This pregnancy is the most difficult level wise and my other 2 were all on target, kept all my readings below 8mmol 1hour after meals. This time its much more difficult, probably because i'm fully progressed type 1 now where as before i was still making alot of my own insulin which i guess helped me out! xx

Reactions: 2 people

diabetty6911

Hi
I am very similar to you in that my diabetes started off as GD in my second pregnancy but was actually type 1. I too didn't fit the norm as I am small with tiny frame. My control with 2nd preg was much easier than my third. I had fluctuating sugars from the very beginning this time and ended up in hospital the last 8 weeks with polyhydraminos (excess fluid) It was extremely painful but can happen due to sugar control. Unfortunately mine was due to birth defects and sadly I lost my little boy when he was 3 days old. I cannot emphasise enough the need to control your sugars during pregnancy. I know it is very difficult but I now live with the guilt of 'what if' my sugars had been more stable. I have always been good with my sugars so it really can happen to anyone. The docs said it could just have been bad luck but they can't rule out that my diabetes played a part in his defects. I don't mean to scare you but I just wouldn't want you to experience what I've been through and the guilt that I can't help but feel. Wishing you a happy and healthy pregnancy x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Hellbunny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm so sorry to hear about your little boy, that must of been so heart breaking. This does annoy me as some people really don't care about control during their pregnancy, i knew someone who kept an alc of 14% throughout hers and her baby was born with a heart problem, of course that had nothing to do with diabetes she says, but i think maybe it did play a part.
I'm currently unwell with a cold so i'm wondering if this is effecting my levels, i was doing quite well (most on target) then a few days ago my levels went haywire. I managed to keep my fasting in the 5's now, but meals i have increased from 3 units per meal (averaging 30g carb) now to 6units, and i am still having readings of 10's, followed by a big drop 20 minutes later.
Thanks for replying back to me hun xxx

diabetty6911

Hope the cold passes soon and the old sugars get back to norm. It's only been 13 weeks since my world fell apart and I can't help but resent my diabetes more than ever. I was always so good with my control, nearly obsessive, and now I just don't care. I know I need to get back on track with it for the sake of my girls even if not for myself. Being a mother can be so wonderful yet so difficult at times. Being a diabetic mother can be even more challenging! Take care xxx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Louise1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi,

I am type 1 and 11 weeks pregnant, I have had to get my sugars down and keep control, which I am doing. Reading all these posts really brings it home that I have to be so careful and really control my sugar.
My nurse has suggested for me that I take the insulin 20 mins before I eat to bring the level down quicker after I have eaten, or sometimes do half before then half after I have eaten so I don't get a sudden drop.

you might be doing all of this already! Good luck with everything xx

samroboli

Hi Louise

How are you doing with your pregnancy now you are further on? have you had to increase your insulin much yet?

I am Type 1 and had my little girl nearly 7 months ago, I did okay with my sugar levels, sometimes I thought I had done poorly but my HBa1c always came back fantastic. Are you fed up with all the appointments yet? The real thing I struggled with diabetes wise was having to avoid all my favourite foods, I have such a sweet tooth!!! but there is no lee-way when you are pregnant to have sweet things really : ( puddings sent my sugars crazy, and I had to avoid curries completely : (

I hope things are going well and that you are enjoying your pregnancy more than I did, not just because of diabetes, but it was so so worth it, more than I can say x

aditi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I am a type 1 diabetic for over 11 years now, on the insulin pump. I had a baby girl end of last month. Just wanted to know from type 1 diabetic mothers that how does the feeding bit work while I have high sugars ? Should I not feed my baby then or it doesn't matter? I read somewhere if there is a higher sugar level in mom babies put on more weight ?!?

Since my baby was born I have been eating a lil sweet here and there.. Was controlling too long for 9 months and giving in now ! Being a diabetic mother is a whole new ball game.. Just not had a chance to even note down my levels or check them at a good frequency !

McMittens

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Would love to hear more from any type 1's that are pregnant/have had children, it is something I often think about in the future and it does worry me!

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am type 1 (probably LADA/1.5) and 18 weeks pregnant. I was diagnosed during my first pregnancy. Luckily my consultant recognised it as type 1 rather than gestational at the time. He told me to get on with it if we wanted another one as my control was excellent and I'm getting old (I'm 41 and he was more polite about my age than that!).

I think the fact that I was diagnosed whilst program and therefore had to keep tight control has meant that I always strive for the same targets out of habit. I tend to follow a lie carb diet.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi,

I am a type 1 diabetic for over 11 years now, on the insulin pump. I had a baby girl end of last month. Just wanted to know from type 1 diabetic mothers that how does the feeding bit work while I have high sugars ? Should I not feed my baby then or it doesn't matter? I read somewhere if there is a higher sugar level in mom babies put on more weight ?!?

Since my baby was born I have been eating a lil sweet here and there.. Was controlling too long for 9 months and giving in now ! Being a diabetic mother is a whole new ball game.. Just not had a chance to even note down my levels or check them at a good frequency !

I had my daughter at 42 and I found it absolutely exhausting, I was feeding her myself and it would take such a long time to feed her because after two sucks she would fall asleep and this went on for ages, so worn out, but worth it. If any new mum is breast feeding, it does send your BS lower so always keep checking your BS especially before bed, no matter how tired you are or ask your other half to do it.

Good luck RRB :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
My very best wishes to you all and good luck.:D

RRB

whitesj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Would love to hear more from any type 1's that are pregnant/have had children, it is something I often think about in the future and it does worry me!
Hi, I had my 'babies' over 30 years ago. Diabetic management was much more difficult then. Had normal pregnancies and deliveries. Feeding usually made my sugars very low, so I would have 2 digestives and a glass of milk to hand! Good luck.