Lack of interest

WullieIrvine

I have been diabetic for 40+ years and in the last 1-2 years have had some life changing complications to deal with, some unrelated to type 1 diabetes.
I for whatever reason have lost complete and total interest in dealing with it.
I wonder if there is anyone out there that feels, felt, or knows how to overcome this?
I know that ultimately I am not doing myself any favours but would appreciate any help.
Thanks all

Wullie

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

janewatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Wullie,

No magic wands I'm afraid.

I'm Type 2 and only been at it for 5 years and I have periods when I just can't be bothered. I know I'm harming myself but can't seem to get out of it. But I do . . . eventually. Not sure how.

You must be sick and tired of it all after all this time. And find the complications, whatever they are, hard to deal with. I'd say, be kind to yourself; try to make things more comfortable in small ways; indulge yourself a bit if you can.
If you've support and care around, use it now. If not, please try to love yourself. Try to get involved in a favourite interest and distract yourself a bit from health issues.

Use this Forum for support whenever you want.

Best wishes,
Jane.

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've only been D for a handful of years (at a guess), but in that time I've been up, down and sideways.

40 years? Blimey. You deserve a medal.

Wish I could give you a holiday from it.

Reactions: 8 people

Jane Milburn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Wullie, 46 years type 1 with many associated problems. Yes it's a boring nightmare. I have been so much better though since taking anti-depressants and using a Freestyle Insulinx meter. The meter does the thinking for me. There is no shame in in taking anti-depressants, they do not cure the problem but definately help take the edge off and as the meter does all the thinking, life with type 1 is definately better for me. Thinking of you and sending happy vibes.

Reactions: 3 people

fruim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Doctors who don't listen or understand how you feel mentally
Hi Wullie, 46 years type 1 with many associated problems. Yes it's a boring nightmare. I have been so much better though since taking anti-depressants and using a Freestyle Insulinx meter. The meter does the thinking for me. There is no shame in in taking anti-depressants, they do not cure the problem but definately help take the edge off and as the meter does all the thinking, life with type 1 is definately better for me. Thinking of you and sending happy vibes.

fruim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hello Wullie I envy you taking anti depressants. About 4 months ago, I fell down the stairs at home, bumping the back of my head 22 times on each stair. I was covered in blood. After a lengthy stay in hospital, they wouldn't allow me to take any of my normal tablets. I can understand this as I was taking warfarin, diazepam, anti-depressants glickaside for my blood sugars. But I had clots on the lungs ( pulmonary embolism ). I was doing very well with these all the above tablets I know longer suffer from bleeding on my brain ( had brain scans ) but now my Chest hurts with panic attacks, also need warfarin for my lung blood clots, am getting have lost over 3 stone in weight, and am quite depressed but no more sertraline, So do I die with clots on my lungs or a possible bleed on my brain which will only happen if I fall and bang my head hard. Finally I am now on injections of insulin which does not work with readings in the mornings of never below 8 and sometimes 20 to 22 before my injection. Doctor and nurse say no more Glickazide which use to work.. Can anyone advise me what I should do, die from a possible fall on my head, or live the remainder of my years taking what I used to take and be happy. I am 70 years old. Thanks

Jane Milburn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi fruim, i'd say stick with what you know works. You know your body better than any doctor. Obviously do all it takes to try not to get any bangs to your head. And you're 70 years young not old :)

Reactions: 2 people

fruim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi fruim, i'd say stick with what you know works. You know your body better than any doctor. Obviously do all it takes to try not to get any bangs to your head. And you're 70 years young not old :)
Thanks Jane! That's just what I thought I do know my body better than the Docs, all I have to do now is convince them! Thanks for your reply! fruim

hughsey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all. Ive been a diabetic for 21yrs, and am not ashamed to say that i suffer from depression, and have been on anti -depression tabs. I suffer also with astham. At the moment am having problems with the absortion of my insulin, theres days am fine, then there days my insulin does what it wants too. I have moved my injection site, but to no joy. Its a very hard journey this diabetes and it will send you mad, but when its going good its great but when its bad its mental. Stick with it thats all i can say, take the rough with the smooth. Lol