pre pregnancy bs numbers

vicjord

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I'm attending the pregrenancy clinic and just started on insulin. I was wondering is 7.5 1 hour after a meal ok? I'be found it very hard to get it down because i make the wrong food choices ie chocolate and crisps.

But being told if i carry on ill have to take 3 injections a day has put me off eating bad now. I hope there are others in the same position as me who can give me advice on lowering my bs.

Thanks. X

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hiya Hun normally 7.5 would be ok but if your planning a baby/pregnant it needs to be lower than that, what kind of meals are you having? I used to make terrible food choices, occasionally still do if I feel I really wanna indulge but I've lowered the amount of carbs I have and it makes a huge difference to bg's xx

vicjord

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just started on low carb. And 1 dose of insulin twice a day 6 in the morning and 4 in the evening. I don't eat bread or potatoes can't understand why is not lower. X

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If it's crisps and sweets your struggling with what about trying to switch to sugar free sweets, I have a pack of sugar free fruit sweets from aldi for when I really fancy something like that, if I want a desert after my tea I'll have something like raspberries with cream, or make a low carb chocolate pudding type desert. In place of crisps I microwave little piles of grated cheese so they go all crunchy Nd I microwave pepperoni slices, they are lush dipped in Philly! Hope that's gave you a few ideas to play with xx

vicjord

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Those sounds great thanks especially the microwaved cheese and pepperoni. Would never have thought of that.
Yesterday i tested before meals and they were in the 5s and today is 1 hour after and it's in the 7s again need to get it lower.
Are you pregnant or trying? Or had one already? X

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hey... I'm not pregnant yet - but - I'm planning for a baby... I saw my GP today and said I was totally stressed out *already* (and I'm not even pregnant yet - ha - imagine what I'm going to be like when I am?!) about my numbers not being good enough... To allay my fears she let me in on the fact that they about to renew the nice (gold standard/what all docs follow) guidelines on what control in pregnancy should be - as the current guidelines are too in achievable and are just causing pregnant women to stress / have lots of hypos - and the evidence suggests they don't need to be as tight as they currently are. Anyway - this is the new framework:
'Advise pregnant women with diabetes who are on metformin, insulin or glibenclamide to maintain their blood glucose level above 4 mmol/litre and below the following target levels, if these are achievable without causing problematic hypoglycaemia:

 fasting:5.3mmol/litre

 1-hourpostprandial:7.8mmol/litre

 2-hour postprandial: 6.4 mmol/litre.

http://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/gid...etes-in-pregnancy-update-draft-nice-guidance2

... It *massively* helped me - hopefully it will help you feel a little less stressed too... :) x

Reactions: 2 people

vicjord

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
That sounds great. thats about the levels of bs I'm getting at the moment. I might be able to start trying after Christmas. My next preconception clinic is in jan so fingers crossed. I'll try not to get too stressed. Hope you don't either.

Vicky. X

Serenede

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It sounds like your doing really well Vicky. If you try and get much lower than 7/7.5 1 hour post meals you will most likely go hypo after 2 hours. Good luck with everything

vicjord

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm type 2 and just recently started insulin to get my bs down. luckily not had a hypo yet. I've got sweets in my pockets just in case.

vicjord

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey... I'm not pregnant yet - but - I'm planning for a baby... I saw my GP today and said I was totally stressed out *already* (and I'm not even pregnant yet - ha - imagine what I'm going to be like when I am?!) about my numbers not being good enough... To allay my fears she let me in on the fact that they about to renew the nice (gold standard/what all docs follow) guidelines on what control in pregnancy should be - as the current guidelines are too in achievable and are just causing pregnant women to stress / have lots of hypos - and the evidence suggests they don't need to be as tight as they currently are. Anyway - this is the new framework:
'Advise pregnant women with diabetes who are on metformin, insulin or glibenclamide to maintain their blood glucose level above 4 mmol/litre and below the following target levels, if these are achievable without causing problematic hypoglycaemia:

 fasting:5.3mmol/litre

 1-hourpostprandial:7.8mmol/litre

 2-hour postprandial: 6.4 mmol/litre.

http://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/gid...etes-in-pregnancy-update-draft-nice-guidance2

... It *massively* helped me - hopefully it will help you feel a little less stressed too... :) x

I,ve hardly ever got my bs at 5.3 fasting I'll have to cut out all carbs. X

alkakapoor

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
Other
Thank you so much for all the great GD information and congrats on our daughter although I know she's now a toddler and not a baby anymore.

vicjord

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just been for my hba1c and it's 51 down from 63 and in the high 80s last year. I'm nearly at the new guidelines of 48 to try for a baby, so pleased. Just got to get thru Christmas now!

Xx