Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yesterday:
coffee with cream x 2
crustless quiche and mango coyo
KFC ! :woot::woot::woot:! we were at a motorway services, and I had forgotten a 9bar. had 3 pirces of original chicken and some fries. have no idea what the bg reading was, because my bg meter was sitting next to the 9bar on the kitchen countertop at home. :banghead:
berries and cream at 10pm

Today:
Not exactly carb craving, but still more interested in carbs than I would like...
salmon pate and tea
fridge raider :depressed: with hummus :wacky:
9 bar
crustless quiche and salad incl feta stuffed peppers

Definitely not enough veg the last two days, and too many easy options. I feel carb heavy and claggy with a need for proper food. Luckily, I will actually have time tomorrow. :)

Reactions: 3 people

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Yesterday pretty much same as day before
Today
B 2 egg omelette
L at work - burger with bacon and egg, threw roll away (3 days on the row of bacon burger, must stop)
D kebab no pitta
P dunno, something naughty maybe, I spy a choccie bar in the cupboard

Reactions: 2 people

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
In a bit of a rush again this morning, so:
B: 1 slice ham and some goats cheese - it does feel odd having something I'd usually have for lunch at brekkie!
L: BG a little on the low side (3.8) due to not having much to eat earlier, so I legged it up to M&S cafe, but everything was done in bread or pastry! Ended up with soup and coffee with cream and teeny complimentary bickie shaped like a Christmas tree, ahhh :)
S: got some snacks in M&S so had four squares of dark choc and some popcorn. Checked BG and was at 8.4 after 1 hour
D: two beef burgers from M&S, Mediterranean veg

Can I ask, what proportion of fat and protein does everyone aim for in a day?

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Them bratworst are great, less than £2 for 6 from lidl.

Are you sure they were bratworst :D

Mmmmm sounds delish....

I need to get my head around the butter and cream! I Rarely have cream but notice it's very popular in low carbing ....

Ive not had cream for years, always had my coffee black, and rarely used milk just skimmed if needed. Having cream is a real luxury for me and I'm still struggling against years of programming that its bad for you! I always feel a bit naughty when I have it :oops:

hornplayer

Pavlovsdog, check out the Dr Bernstein book. - I've been getting loads of "advice" from my brother (extreme athlete turned body builder) about protein and to be honest, it was getting way too complicated and he isn't the most patient person In the world. I wasn't bringing my levels down as far as I wanted and he just kept saying I wasn't doing Paleo properly, then he'd go off on one. There are things which, although they are low carb, have a strange effect on blood sugar and need to be avoided!

From what I can tell, all sweeteners are bad 'cept pure stevia or some tablet sweeteners, (list in book), milk, cottage cheese, soft cheese etc are way worse than you'd guess from the label, there are fewer safe "vegetables" than you'd think too! Protein is good but you don't need more than 1-1.2g per kg of your ideal body weight. Too much will push up BG. Fats (again, check the book) are fine. They don't have any effect on BG, and are great for adding calories and taste to food. - If you follow the Dr Bernstein approach, you will lose weight and you won't need to worry about adding too much fat. - way easier to work out!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hornplayer

I'd got myself into a mess by having too much milk and things labeled sugar-free, - They lie!!!! Also, I've always taken huge doses of Vit C in the winter 3x1000mg a day. Turns out that anything over 250mg will shoot BG up! Oops.

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Pavlovsdog, check out the Dr Bernstein book. - I've been getting loads of "advice" from my brother (extreme athlete turned body builder) about protein and to be honest, it was getting way too complicated and he isn't the most patient person In the world. I wasn't bringing my levels down as far as I wanted and he just kept saying I wasn't doing Paleo properly, then he'd go off on one. There are things which, although they are low carb, have a strange effect on blood sugar and need to be avoided!

From what I can tell, all sweeteners are bad 'cept pure stevia or some tablet sweeteners, (list in book), milk, cottage cheese, soft cheese etc are way worse than you'd guess from the label, there are fewer safe "vegetables" than you'd think too! Protein is good but you don't need more than 1-1.2g per kg of your ideal body weight. Too much will push up BG. Fats (again, check the book) are fine. They don't have any effect on BG, and are great for adding calories and taste to food. - If you follow the Dr Bernstein approach, you will lose weight and you won't need to worry about adding too much fat. - way easier to work out!!

Thanks @hornplayer I'll have a look out for it. I've been doing very basic til I got used to it, and need to start refining things now, so that will help

mamamodge

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Brunneria love that word Claggy !
B.2xbacon rashers 75grams potato
1,large fried egg,100 grams cabbage ,50grams courgette,
1tomato .All fried together.
Couldn't eat it all so saved some for dinner.

Dinner Three ladles homemade brocolli and Stilton soup and the leftovers from breakfast.
Trying hard to up fat so 3 dessertspoons of coconut oil taken throughout the day .Read somewhere its good to have 20 mins prior to meal to help weightloss ...a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do.
Really not seeing a shift in pounds/kilos but I feel good .

Reactions: 4 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast scrambled eggs
Lunch deli ham and cheese savoury salad ( only ate half ) soya latte
Dinner chilli 1/2 taco shell, lettuce and cheese
Snack too many nuts and a big chunk of chocolate with hazelnuts

alliebee

Regulars will probably remember I told you about a friend I know who was diagnosed type 2 a year ago...well to say she doesn't really take care is being polite. I rang her to see how she was getting on and she gleefully told me after I reported my blip today to her...and these are the words. " Oh I wouldn't worry...I had 2 cream cakes yesterday afternoon and steak n kidney pie and mounds of mash and tested at 18 last night ????????

alliebee

And here's me paged a surgeon I knew was close to scrubbing up. Calling in a favour because I was worried about being too high for no reason..and she is supremely not bothered about the awful problems she is laying down for the future...oh I've tried talking to her. Even shown her horrid medical photos. But she says. Oh Alison you take it far to seriously?? You nurses are all the same... ok thank you. Rant over. :(

Reactions: 4 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm glad you do take it seriously. I have to say that even amongst the medical profession chronic health issues don't always seem to be taken as seriously as they ought to be. The DN on my DESMOND was quite overweight , ate a very unhealthy white doorstep and tinned soup lunch in front of us and said she wasn't going to have an HbA1c test as she didn't want to know. There's a district nurse that I see about town that is so overweight she can't wear socks or tights and can barely walk. I know no one is perfect and I guess they've fallen for the same rubbish advice that we get, but I can't help thinking that it doesn't come across as very professional and I resent being told to lose weight by someone fatter than me!!!

Reactions: 6 people

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Regulars will probably remember I told you about a friend I know who was diagnosed type 2 a year ago...well to say she doesn't really take care is being polite. I rang her to see how she was getting on and she gleefully told me after I reported my blip today to her...and these are the words. " Oh I wouldn't worry...I had 2 cream cakes yesterday afternoon and steak n kidney pie and mounds of mash and tested at 18 last night ????????
As sad as it is, you have done your bit. She cannot moan when she is admitted to have feet or legs amputated or worse, I know as a nurse you would never say " I told you so " but as a friend you can .

They say ignorance is bliss, but I fear someone who is so blinkered to the dangers needs to learn for themselves , and unfortunately it often is the hard way.

My brother was type 2 , and refused to acknowledge the fact. His nemesis was beer, he simply wouldn't give up his 6-10 pints a day' and a **** diet It got him in the end. He died aged 51.

You can show your friend this post .

Take care

Reactions: 7 people

alliebee

As sad as it is, you have done your bit. She cannot moan when she is admitted to have feet or legs amputated or worse, I know as a nurse you would never say " I told you so " but as a friend you can .

They say ignorance is bliss, but I fear someone who is so blinkered to the dangers needs to learn for themselves , and unfortunately it often is the hard way.

My brother was type 2 , and refused to acknowledge the fact. His nemesis was beer, he simply wouldn't give up his 6-10 pints a day' and a **** diet It got him in the end. He died aged 51.

You can show your friend this post .

Take care
I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. Goodness that's so young

Status
Not open for further replies.