Tablet Trouble!

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ho hum.
Like most of us with Type 2, I am on Metformin.
It took me a bit longer than usual to get up to 4 tablets daily, but I made it!!
At the weekend I ate something that disagreed with me and since Saturday I have ... well, had to go to the loo rather frequently :( :grumpy::yuck::wideyed::eek:
Anyway, having not eaten a great deal I wondered if the continuing situation could be due to the Metformin....
So ...
I didn't take my evening tablets yesterday.
Things internally seem to have settled down a bit almost immediately, so I'm planning on just having one evening tablet for a couple more days.
What do you think, guys?
Thank you!
BeeGee

Firefly4863

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ho hum.
Like most of us with Type 2, I am on Metformin.
It took me a bit longer than usual to get up to 4 tablets daily, but I made it!!
At the weekend I ate something that disagreed with me and since Saturday I have ... well, had to go to the loo rather frequently :( :grumpy::yuck::wideyed::eek:
Anyway, having not eaten a great deal I wondered if the continuing situation could be due to the Metformin....
So ...
I didn't take my evening tablets yesterday.
Things internally seem to have settled down a bit almost immediately, so I'm planning on just having one evening tablet for a couple more days.
What do you think, guys?
Thank you!
BeeGee
Hi I am also on Metforman and just increased to 4 tablets a day. I found the same as you that I needed to find a toilet quite quickly at times. After a bit of research this is a side effect for some people that take Metforman and I am led to believe that it will settle down once your body gets used to the increase of the drug.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I've seen people on here have several suggestions on how to deal with this.

Only have your tablet in the middle of a proper meal
increase your tablets very slowly, over weeks, or months, rather than days
cut back on the carbs - apparently there is a link between amount of carbs and amount of tummy upset
switch to the slow release metformin if the problems persist

Im trying to think of any more...

this is just hearsay on my part, since I don't take Met, but I am interested, because I can see a day coming when I need it, so I have been taking notice. ;)

Reactions: 2 people

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
Ask your doctor for Slow release Metformin, should hopefully stop that trouble. It worked for me.

Cloudlesssky

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you, everyone.
I had presumed it was the tummy upset that was the cause of the problem initially, but your comments make me wonder if it isn't the Metformin after all. Appreciate your replies.
Thank you :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, if you have stomch problems with vanilla Met then do move over to Met SR; it will reduce/solve the problem.