Breakfast so difficult

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Bacon, 3 egg omelette and a coffee every morning for me. Haven't gotten bored of it yet.

If I wasn't hungry in the morning I'd probably just have the coffee and not worry about it.

Reactions: 2 people

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Yep, bacon, eggs (always omelette or scrambled .... hate fried) mushrooms in butter, zucchini and loads of spinach.

Keeps me going :)

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Bluejeans,

I've got no idea whatsoever! :D

I'm not being flippant, I just don't worry about it. What I worry about is my diabetic nurse telling me not to test my bloods too often, because of NHS cuts!! Excuse me?

So on occassion, I may feel, if They don't care, why should I? Well I DO care, it's my body and I will try my best to behave myself.

Frank.

My uncle used to eat his weetabix with butter, slab of cheese and brown sauce. He had it like a biscuit instead of with milk. He is a type 1 diabetic. I did try it but that was about 30 odd years ago at least. I don't think todays weetabix would hold up long enough to be buttered.

CarolWoods

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
One of the following:

Scrambled eggs with cream and spinach or

Bacon or sausages accompanied by either

Mushrooms sauted in butter with spinach and cream or
Mushrooms with thinly sliced zucchini/courgettes or
Zucchini sauted in butter with spinach.

Always followed by a ryvita with butter.

Love breakfasts on LCHF!

Reactions: 4 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I have 1 97% meat sausage and 2 poached eggs but what about cheese and salami? You could have a variety of bits of cheese and meat. The supermarkets often sell a "platter" for 2 pounds which could last a couple of days. Or smoked hot trout flakes? @AnnieC

Kaha

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrite
I believe the purpose of the question was whether we could skip the breakfast if we do not feel hungry or appetite is lost for whatever reason ( say after in adequate sleep at night, drinking tea/coffee before breakfast, smoking prior to breakfast etc...) . I sometimes also feel if I could skip the breakfast because I take my bed tea plus a biscuit when I get up as the first thing in the morning . That is my habit for many many years and am used to it. So, after my bed tea with biscuit , I lose my hunger to eat breakfast before going to work .
So, I think Annie wanted to know whether not eating breakfast has any impact on sugar level ? At least I have such a question to forum members and experts .

Lenny3

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
not much
If I don't eat breakfast my liver dumps a load of glucose in my system and I soon feel like **** cos my sugars are too high. I like to have protein and fat for breakfast.

North_West

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
Diet only
I'd advise to make different type of breakfast every day, so you will not get tired of that. Since I've got Redmond multicooker I am making different type of porridge, omelette and veggies in that. Multicooker can make it all quick and easy. So my family and I really enjoy our breakfasts now.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have whatever I fancy for breakfast. It's not always a 'breakfast' food. If I'm not hungry I don't eat until I am hungry, so I may have brunch instead or skip breakfast altogether. I know that most people say you should always have breakfast, but it suits me and my body to skip it sometimes. We are all different aren't we?
That's what I was thinking.
@AnnieC Why have breakfast food if you are not hungry. surely it is unnecessary to force feed yourself. Or am I just bonkers.

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
I find breakfast such a difficult meal I am never really hungry in the mornings so I force myself to eat something if not I probably would not eat until lunch time when I would mostly have cold chicken with salad
My breakfasts are mostly one slice of Burgen toast with an omlette or scrambled egg with ham and cheese a couple of times a week and cold meat or sardines mashed with vinegar and mayo with tomato and cucumber on other days I am now getting a bit bored with that. I don't like a fry up not even for lunch and I can't face berries and yogurt in the morning
Hi Annie

I am similar to you re. breakfast and am quite particular with what I can stomach. Are you more 'sweet' or savoury in the morning?
These are my usual breakfasts:

1/2 Grapefruit, Boiled Egg, Flax Crackers

1/2 Grapefruit, Slice Wholegrain Toast w/Butter & Ground Flax Seeds

Smoothie made w/Almond Milk, Banana, Raw Cacao

Burgen Toast w/Cheese & Tomato

Lately I've been experimenting with how much fruit I can tolerate in the one sitting as I feel I've been eating too much animal protein and not enough fruit/veg of late. Yesterday I had 1 Cup of Blueberries & Raspberries, slice rockmelon, evaporated milk and some macadamia nuts. 4.8 Before, 5.3 2 hrs after. Well happy with that :)

A

AnnieC

Hi Annie

I am similar to you re. breakfast and am quite particular with what I can stomach. Are you more 'sweet' or savoury in the morning?
These are my usual breakfasts:

1/2 Grapefruit, Boiled Egg, Flax Crackers

1/2 Grapefruit, Slice Wholegrain Toast w/Butter & Ground Flax Seeds

Smoothie made w/Almond Milk, Banana, Raw Cacao

Burgen Toast w/Cheese & Tomato

Lately I've been experimenting with how much fruit I can tolerate in the one sitting as I feel I've been eating too much animal protein and not enough fruit/veg of late. Yesterday I had 1 Cup of Blueberries & Raspberries, slice rockmelon, evaporated milk and some macadamia nuts. 4.8 Before, 5.3 2 hrs after. Well happy with that :)
Can't face anythig sweet in the mornings and grapefruit would certainly be out for me because I take statins

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Well you're back to sausage bacon eggs or mix thereof. That or chicken / turkey slices warmed in lettuce

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
That's what I was thinking.
@AnnieC Why have breakfast food if you are not hungry. surely it is unnecessary to force feed yourself. Or am I just bonkers.
Isn't it important to eat something early to avoid the liver dump? Yesterday I didn't eat between breakfast and lunch and I went from 5 post prandial to 6.7 before lunch.

Also, what does it mean if your 2 hour postprandial is less than your premeal BS? Is it because giving your body some glucose stops the liver producing it?

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
I am into liquid breakfasts at the mo. Green smoothies particularly or bullet coffee. I also like almond porridge.

Christmas hols were great as would start with bullet coffee and for brunch have a cooked brekkie - am missing it already!

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Isn't it important to eat something early to avoid the liver dump? Yesterday I didn't eat between breakfast and lunch and I went from 5 post prandial to 6.7 before lunch.

Also, what does it mean if your 2 hour postprandial is less than your premeal BS? Is it because giving your body some glucose stops the liver producing it?
As we all differ, would simple water solve this problem or as @Tweetypie suggest, a liquid, breakfast.

Tweetypie

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders, control freaks, untidiness, ignorance.
I agree, water is crucial. I also start my day with a big mug of hot water and lemon juice and top up throughout the morning. With regards to the liver dump, I try to have a few almonds by my bedside and try (sometimes without success) to take a few when I wake. This helps tell the liver to stop pumping out sugar. By far the best cure for me though is monitoring what i eat the day/night before and alcohol always raises my morning readings.
I also take a shot of apple cider vinegar a.m and p.m if I'm having trouble.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find breakfast such a difficult meal I am never really hungry in the mornings so I force myself to eat something if not I probably would not eat until lunch time when I would mostly have cold chicken with salad
My breakfasts are mostly one slice of Burgen toast with an omlette or scrambled egg with ham and cheese a couple of times a week and cold meat or sardines mashed with vinegar and mayo with tomato and cucumber on other days I am now getting a bit bored with that. I don't like a fry up not even for lunch and I can't face berries and yogurt in the morning
one of my favs, but I add a bit of tomato sauce as well

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My breakfast is always one of scrambled eggs and either sausage, bacon or smoked salmon, or I make an omlette and add onions, other veg or meats. A chorizo omlette is always a good thing!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My breakfast is always one of scrambled eggs and either sausage, bacon or smoked salmon, or I make an omlette and add onions, other veg or meats. A chorizo omlette is always a good thing!
I had an omlette of smoked trout for tea tonight, I can't afford salmon this week :)