Feeling more positive.

Donna68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed just over 3 weeks ago, and had to wait a little while to see the DN at my GP's practice. She only works 3 days a week - and I need an early morning appointment, because work is over 40 mins away so impractical to attend during the day. I joined this website because the sort of person I am means I need to know everything I can (control freak my kids call me).

Anyway I've looked at all the different diets - low carbing etc. And read lots of posts about the NHS advice, and quality of care. When I got my results from the GP she told me to see the DN, who would put me on medication, and hopefully get my bloods back down into acceptable range. (They were 50, and a fasting result of 7.6 - so not really a big ask).

My sister is under the same GP's practice so I knew I wouldn't get a meter/strips as they had tried to take hers off of her. So after a week of being scared to eat anything, so upset because my life was now being controlled by a disease, I got myself a monitor. So I went to my first appointment armed and ready to do battle.

We started with me telling her what I knew about the condition - she didn't want to waste my time by explaining things I already knew. So I told her that I'd cut down on carbs alot (ie not eaten potatoes - switched to wholemeal bread etc). So she made recommendations re oily fish, and I said I had tried - but was not a fish lover. But I do eat tuna, chicken more than red meats. So she said it sounded like I had done my research, and was doing all the right things. I said the biggest difference had come from a structured day - ie breakfast - mid morning snack - lunch - mid afternoon snack - tea. So I was actually eating more food - just the right food instead of being so hungry that I would just grab something quick. So she asked me about a typical day, which she agreed was a good start.

I told her that I had started monitoring - she was really pleased, sorry that she wasn't allowed to help with that anymore - but had been told off about it - the standard NHS response is that Type 2's don't need to monitor. I said that it was a short-sighted response - the damage it could do to mental health by not allowing Type 2's to be in control - never mind the fact that 'eating sensibly' means different things to different people. I thought that some of my choices in food had been right ie low fat which I now know means +carbs. She agreed. She also said that some NICE recommendations were not the same has government recommendations - but it is the government who holds the purse strings. ie is eating an apple a day good for me, no it's not good for my diabetes, but it is good for my overall diet - and is a lot better than eating a banana.

She checked that I was testing correctly (wash/new needle/where/which fingers), and was impressed that my highest readings had been 7.2. I explained how I felt it had given me the control back.

She explained that although my blood pressure/cholesterol levels were fine for a normal person, I was no longer in that range - so they did need to come down a bit.

She didn't put me on medication, in her opinion I don't need it yet - once the changes to my diet have kicked in she will reassess. Initially she has said that if they stay in the diabetic range we will go through my diet thoroughly and see what else can change. Once we get to a point of changing everything we can, and if they are still up - then she would look at medication.

With my monitoring numbers really good she is positive I can get into the pre-diabetic range, and may even get them down so my diabetes is in remission.

She has also said that she is not the 'food police' she can make recommendations/suggestions but at the end of the day I am the one putting the food into my body and her treatment/medication will be built around my needs. She just wants me to be honest with myself and her - she is not there to judge.

We did nothing but 'chat' and I was in there for around 40-45 minutes (the surgery will not let her schedule appointments for longer than 30 minutes - which she doesn't agree with either). So I go back as soon as I can for all the checks/referrals.

So I felt a whole load better. I felt supported and treated with respect, which has given me the confidence to continue as I am - because my numbers confirm I am doing what is right for me.

So to other newbies - there are good HCP's out there and I hope you are lucky enough to get one.

Reactions: 8 people

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Way to go.keep posting your progress very happy your here on the forum!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is a fantastic experience.
Did you get her name?

Make sure to ask for her personally next time!

So pleased for you. and how excellent to have support like that ready for if you need it.

Donna68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There is only the one Diabetic Nurse at the surgery. And because she has family history she does practice what she preaches to avoid it herself.

Reactions: 2 people

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed late summer. I just went for my free NHS health check and was gobsmacked to find my glucose and HbA1c were very high, I had absolutely no symptoms at all, I am fairly active and slim but often went from an early breakfast until late evening (as I worked in a lab so no eating or drinking in the lab) before I had anything and didn't really get enough sleep + didn't always eat the right things. I was put on metformin and then sitaglyptin was added plus statins although my cholesterol was just at the top of the normal range and my HDL cholesterol was high and my LDL was low. I have to go for repeat bloods (2 months after starting statins) in a week or so and I am going to ask to come off the statins as I was very uncomfortable about taking them in the first place. I was given a free glucose monitor and get my strips and needles free on prescription (although I get free prescriptions anyway at my age)!

I am trying to control everything I eat and have recently bought the book "Diabetes Defeated" which is excellent. My big problem is I love fruit and I need to get my head round the fact that it isn't really good for diabetics!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed late summer. I just went for my free NHS health check and was gobsmacked to find my glucose and HbA1c were very high, I had absolutely no symptoms at all, I am fairly active and slim but often went from an early breakfast until late evening (as I worked in a lab so no eating or drinking in the lab) before I had anything and didn't really get enough sleep + didn't always eat the right things. I was put on metformin and then sitaglyptin was added plus statins although my cholesterol was just at the top of the normal range and my HDL cholesterol was high and my LDL was low. I have to go for repeat bloods (2 months after starting statins) in a week or so and I am going to ask to come off the statins as I was very uncomfortable about taking them in the first place. I was given a free glucose monitor and get my strips and needles free on prescription (although I get free prescriptions anyway at my age)!

I am trying to control everything I eat and have recently bought the book "Diabetes Defeated" which is excellent. My big problem is I love fruit and I need to get my head round the fact that it isn't really good for diabetics!

Hi and welcome!

I love fruit too.

I have found green smoothies (see the link in my signature) are excellent, with truly minimal blood glucose impact, especially when made properly.

And I have berries and cream nearly every night as a desert. The trick is to have a smallish portion (they are lower in fructose/sugars than sweeter tropical fruit) and then serving them with cream or greek yog makes them slower to digest. :happy:

Donna68

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I still eat an apple a day, as either my mid morning snack, or mid afternoon. I've found if I let my bloods drop too low, then I get too hungry and just grab something. Up to this week my control has been steady, but this week I am spiking - I have a feeling that it is due to the time of the month - due next week. As it was 4 weeks yesterday I had my test at the GP's that would make sense why it was quite a bit higher than my testing has been. Obviously another couple of months will confirm whether that is the case. So at the moment plenty of water, and a quick run down the 8 flights of stairs at work to get it back to a level I am happy with.

Mine too was part of the NHS health check rather than symptoms so that's 2 people alone who have benefited! Good luck Arab Horse.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is surprising how many people refuse to go for their free health check, including my husband! His diet is dreadful, he doesn't eat breakfast (or lunch quite often), drinks tons of sweet, fizzy drinks, eats a bag of 5 donuts most days and drinks too much. Considering his father died of a heart attack and his two older brothers both had major heart attacks (one almost didn't make it) I can't believe his attitude but I am sick of trying to get him to go and now don't bother.