it's prediabetes...

clairegra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Having seen my GP yesterday, I am now 'officially' prediabetic, rather than type 2. He tells me that with one positive (7.8, but very stressed when it was taken because of a mix up at the surgery) and one borderline FBS, (6.8) and one negative result (HBA1c of 40) there is no need/point in doing a GTT 'which won't tell us anything more'. This in view of the fact that I haven't had any symptoms relating to diabetes and was picked up on an NHS check for something else.

It's strange but I feel very unsettled by this - having done so much research in the three weeks since he first told me I was type 2, and having seen what carbs do to my blood sugar, I'd pretty much convinced myself I did have type 2. So now I'm feeling 'all shook up' all over again!

On the plus side, both my GP and the DN surprisingly - in view of other people's experiences I've read about - advocated my continuance on a low carb diet, and also told me to keep testing my bs (though no offer of testing strips!)

The GP says he will monitor me regularly to check that I am going in the right direction - ie, that weight loss, low carb diet and more exercise are being effective in keeping me on the 'right' side of the border - and suggests a six monthly FBS. I had to 'persuade' him to do another HBA1c at the first 6 month check.

The responses to my other two threads which I posted were really helpful... it's so good to know you're not alone in this... maybe someone out there has had a similar experience?

I'd appreciate any comments!

Claire

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can appreciate how unsettled you are by the different test results.

Had you started low carbing before the last set of tests? That could have made a big difference that maybe your doc doesn't appreciate.

On the other hand, if your new diet and lifestyle have led to improved BG and hba1c, then CONGRATULATIONS!
What a fab result. :D

Keep it up and you could live a full, slim, active non-diabetic life for a very long time! :happy:

But do keep testing. And beware of carb creep (gradually slipping back into old carb-eating habits). It happens to us all (we're only human, after all), but catching it with a combo of testing, and watching for weight gain, is an excellent safety net.

I m so pleased for you.

clairegra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks Brunneria...

have been reading your threads/responses with interest - you talk so much sense about this diabetes business. Am so pleased you answered me!

Yes, it may be that I did alter my HBA1c result by low carbing (about a week before it was done) and I'm still feeling very cautious indeed about whether or not I am prediabetic or actually in type 2. I'm glad in one way to have pre on my notes, because it will make things easier like travel insurance, but on the down side, it precludes me from any of the monitoring of eyes etc that would apply if it were declared type 2. And whatever, I'm not complacent. I certainly intend to keep up with the low carb and bs monitoring, and losing weight.

Looking out for all the advice I can get, still...

all best

Claire

Reactions: 3 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@clairagra

Sounds like you are still in shock with the news.

And what great news they are!

You just won the lottery.

There is a lot more than just a name or a few units on a scale separating pre diabetes and diabetes. Diabetes is said to be non-reversible. Once you have it all you can do is manage it. Pre diabetes is reversible,

Consider your pre diabetes diagnosis as one last warning or rather as a temporary stay of execution. It is up to you to turn it from a temporary to a permanent stay.

Probably the best advice I can give you is to now forget that it is "only" pre-diabetes, pretend you are diabetic and go ahead with all the lifestyle changes you are planning, particularly the change in diet

Once again congratulations on your excellent news but please don't let your guard down now.

Complacency is our worst enemy at times!

Pavlos

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks Brunneria...

have been reading your threads/responses with interest - you talk so much sense about this diabetes business. Am so pleased you answered me!

Yes, it may be that I did alter my HBA1c result by low carbing (about a week before it was done) and I'm still feeling very cautious indeed about whether or not I am prediabetic or actually in type 2. I'm glad in one way to have pre on my notes, because it will make things easier like travel insurance, but on the down side, it precludes me from any of the monitoring of eyes etc that would apply if it were declared type 2. And whatever, I'm not complacent. I certainly intend to keep up with the low carb and bs monitoring, and losing weight.

Looking out for all the advice I can get, still...

all best

Claire

Thank you for your kind words!

I think the only other bit of advice I can suggest is to KEEP POSTING here.
I love this forum and the people on it, but the main, very selfish, reason that I'm still here, is that it increases my knowledge and reminds me to keep on the straight and narrow. Well worth it.

See you around!

Reactions: 4 people

Toulouse31

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there, almost exactly the same as me, I had started low
Carbing b4 hbac1 so got ,downgraded, to pre! Brunneria is also my hero! Don't think the past 3 weeks would have been quite as easy without her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 6 people

Sukayalid

Hello all, I was diagnosed a few months back as prediabetic, changed to low carb diet at end of July and have to date lost 11 kg' but seemed to have gone on an emotional roller coaster. I have got emotional and very stressy, did this happen to any of you?

beardie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all, I was diagnosed a few months back as prediabetic, changed to low carb diet at end of July and have to date lost 11 kg' but seemed to have gone on an emotional roller coaster. I have got emotional and very stressy, did this happen to any of you?
Most of us to some extent I would imagine.:(:)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Definitely.
I think we all go through the ringer.
But it does pass. :)

In my case, the more I found out about diabetes, and the more I visited the forum, the quicker I adjusted.
And testing my blood with a meter gave me a real sense that I could affect/control my future.

That made a big difference.

Sukayalid

Thank you that helped been very down lately, now booked off sick for two weeks after angina attack. Don't really have friends here,although my husband has been an absolute rock.Hopefully have the chance to relax and get stress and emotions under control. Have read quite a lot on the forum and the information has been very helpful , hence the weight loss and I do test at least four times per day.

Reactions: 4 people

LizFrog

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You sound in a very similar place to me. A fasting blood glucose test taken about 2 months ago was 7.1 (finger prick) then doc took proper blood test the same day which was 6.8. Hba1c was 38 from same test. I have been testing myself constantly since, exercising and cut sugar out of my diet completely (I've lost over a stone in weight). My fasting bloods in the last week have been below 6, sometimes as low as 5.3, so it's definitely going in the right direction! I'm determined to do all I can to prevent or at least delay the onset of type 2!

clairegra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
sorry I hadn't seen all your lovely posts to my thread till today. I'm still a bit naive about the boards and wasn't sure if anyone would want to 'talk' to me! :) Am only just realising fully how wonderful the support is on here!

pavlosn - yes, I'm definitely taking my past few weeks experience as a warning. I know it's perverse, but I'm still not convinced in my own mind about my diagnosis. But whatever it is, the business of keeping a stable, 'normal' blood sugar is my first priority. I've changed my diet to low carbs higher fat, though still a bit nervous about the higher fat! Lose weight - after a cracking start, it's slowed a bit, but still much better than when I was trying to lose weight on a 'healthy plate' type diet. Time will tell if the weight loss will normalise my response to carbs, but I'm sure of one thing - I'm never, ever, ever going back to the way I was.

Toulouse 31, LizFrog, you sound in such similar places as me... I won't say I'm glad to have company (wouldn't wish it on anyone) but it is nice to know I'm not alone.

Sukeyalid, am so sorry to hear you've been struggling emotionally. It is a real up and down thing. Sometimes I feel glad that I've had this warning - where would I be if I hadn't - and sometimes it's a real misery/stress to think that I have to change so much in my life. But at least this way I've got a chance to improve my health and wellbeing... and it doesn't take long to find friends on here! It feels like I have some already after all the warm welcomes and helpful comments. As Brunneria said to me, keep posting... and I will too! It's absolutely true that the more you look around and find out about what works and what doesn't, the more comfortable and in control you feel. Anyway, I hope your time off work will help you adjust and ease that stress...

all best, and thanks again, Brunneria for looking in!

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there.

Your results sound a bit like mine. I'm needle phobic and have had an annual finger prick fasting test for about the last 3 years. I had this done in November and it was 7.3. I didn't think too much of it as in 2013 it was 7.2 and I wasn't recalled.

I then got a letter from the surgery asking me to book a full fasting blood test. I had this done in early December...

My fasting blood glucose was 7.4 and my HbA1c was 41. The medical receptionist I spoke to informed me I wasn't diabetic. I in the meantime, whilst waiting for the results had convinced myself I would be T2 this time around!

After taking advice from forum members on here I contacted my Dr again to query the results as they were the very top end of "normal" as I was concerned about the 7.4.

My Dr confirmed I had "impaired glucose tolerance" which was a pre Diabetic state. His email advised me to eat a diet high in fibre, low in sugar, be active and lose weight.

I am intending to buy a monitor and will probably buy the SD Codefree in the next few weeks. I am going to have one final xmas having a few treats and then adopt the GI diet, try to lose weight and exercise more. Hopefully, these measures will keep T2 and the dreaded needles at bay!

clairegra

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Tigerlily

I'd definitely advise getting a blood glucose monitor and testing regularly - I think it's the only way to go to find out what foods have a bad impact on your blood sugar and which ones are ok. Like you, I'm getting a lot of help and information from these forums.

I have lost 2 stone so far since the end of September following a low carb/moderate fat diet, and doing more exercise (only walking, but I can commit to that where I wouldn't to going to the gym!) I'm feeling better for it although I've still got quite a bit more weight to lose. My fasting bloods are definitely improving, too, so I'm hoping that by the time I have my next check in the spring things will be considerably improved.

I'm not needle phobic, but I can imagine that must make things harder for you. I'd only say that once you get used to pricking your finger for the blood it isn't too bad. Make sure you are using the finger pricker on the lowest setting that will get the drop of blood you need (the codefree doesn't need very much!) and you hardly feel it!

Hope you have a good Christmas... I'm planning to allow myself a little leeway on Christmas day, but I'm going to be careful not to undo the good I've done so far!!

I'll be interested to see how you get along... it helps so much to know you aren't the only one, doesn't it? These forums are great for that!

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi clairegra

Well done on losing 2 stone :) I'm afraid I don't think I could commit to the gym either, as much as I'd like to. I've been walking to and from work unless the weather is bad (and then hubby has given me a lift in, in the car). As we have dogs there's no excuse for me not to walk more and our youngest dog will certainly appreciate it and burn off his excess energy! Plus, it costs nothing unlike a gym membership.

I've just secured the winning bid on a new SD Codefree on eBay (the seller no longer has a need for it as they've got one on the NHS). I just need to order some test strips and lancets and then I start self tesing - aided by my hubby.

Hannah july

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi sorry to barge in on your page! Just wanting some support from somewhere.im 34 years old and have a six month old baby.when pregnant I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes at 26 wks preg. I was supposed to be re tested six weeks after I delivered however i have been too scared to go.

I've been testing my fasting sugar occasionally and it's always been between 5.8 and 6.2! I'm aware this is diabetic levels.im trying to lose some weight now.

beardie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It happened to me, but it seems it may have been a B12 deficiency. Not sure though.