One for the Ladies - Contraceptive Pill

Starmaker123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
:)Hi all,

I have a query please for the Type 1 ladies out there who take the contraceptive pill, mine is a combined progesterone and oestrogen pill (21 days and 7 day break). I am 47.

I have been on insulin for 3 months and in that time, I have noticed that when Im on my 7 day break, my blood sugars drop noticeably. I need less insulin during this time (am on low doses as it is - 3/4 apidra at mealtimes and 6 lantus at night normally) and even at that, I find I need a carb snack between meals (which I dont normally do) to keep myself steady.

My question is, if this is the case - if I were to stop taking the pill, would my blood sugars drop the other 3 weeks too? I have an appt with consultant in a few week so will talk to him then but I just wonder if any Type 1's have any experience of this? I know its probably not as simple as this but I saw on thread touching on this subject somewhere so would love to hear any stories! Thank you.

Lucy-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't think I've ever noticed a difference. But I will check even more now! Keep us up to date and let us know what your doc says!

Niecie

I don't think I've ever noticed a difference. But I will check even more now! Keep us up to date and let us know what your doc says!
I'm now on the mini pill so don't get a break :) , but previously when had monthlys my sugar would drop rapidly! Even keel now each month more or less the same x

Starmaker123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your replies Niecie and Lucy-M. I guess its bound to have some hormonal impact but if I thought my readings would improve in general, I would def consider coming off it. Being new to insulin, its a learning process. I will let you know what Consultant says.:)

ArtemisBow

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have also noticed a drop during the break week but as this is also when I get my period each month this could also be the cause - I currently just reduce my doses during that week. Talk to your consultant about it to find the best method that will work for you, either adjusting doses or changing pill :)

kate90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I was on the combined pill (Yasmin) for a month and my bloods when through the roof.

I've started on the mini pill not (Desomono) but im worried my bloods are going to shoot up again. I've only been on it for three days.

If anyone has any advice who has Type 1 diabetes and is on Desomono or any type of mini pill, please let me know.

Thank you :)

Starmaker123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi ladies, I've been on Yasmin for several years, long before diabetes. I talked with consultant about coming off it but he doesn't think it wild make much difference to my blood sugars in general so I'll only find out if I come off it but have no immediate plans to do this. It also now appears that I may have another issue looming. Since starting on insulin 5 months ago, I've had no withdrawal bleed on my week off so he thinks I'm either starting the menopause or it's because of the weight loss prior to diagnosis. I still haven't put much weight back on. Anyway, he is sending me for a test to see if it is the start of menopause. More fun and games!

I really do think that's it's such an individual thing with blood sugars and a case of trial and error. It might b worthwhile to see how it goes for a while and give ur body a chance to adjust to it?

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello :) I've only ever been using microgynon and I've not had any problems. Maybe you need to try a few to see what suits ? Bit of a pain I understand but I've been on mine since I was 17 (now 25) and it's worked fine with my diabetes!

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello. :)

I had the exact same problem when I had my periods I would drop a lot and there was never any pattern to try and work out what or when to lower it and is very annoying , I always used to question why this happened and got told once that it was something within my pill that done this . ( cilest )
I'm not on the pill at the moment as I'm currently pregnant , so when I stopped taking the pill the other 3 weeks yes my bms also dropped and I had to adjust a lot of my ratios before I fell pregnant . So makes me wonder that by me personally being on the pil if it was making my bms rise slightly .
So will be having a long chat before I go back onto the pill .

Not really much help but just what I experienced lol

Take care
:):):)

Reactions: 2 people

Siwan

I'm not on the pill at the moment but my blood glucose and insulin is affected by my hormones. My blood sugars and insulin requirements will drop like a stone at the beginning of my cycle (i.e. the day my period starts) then gradually rises toward the end of my cycle. My basal insulin goes from 14 to 22 units from day 1 to day 28-30 and my bolus doses need adjusting towards the end of my cycle too. I imagine if you didn't take your pill your natural hormones would affect your blood sugars and insulin but maybe in a more haphazard way . . . by taking the pill, for 3 weeks you are getting a more constant, measured dose of hormones than your body would naturally release.