First aid training at work!

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey everyone, this is a bit of a stupid moan really, not sure if moan is the right word... Maybe more of an annoyance! But anyway I have to get it out of my system!

A few of my colleagues are doing their first aid at work training and today they've been learning about diabetes! Now many times I've offered to advise them of the hypo symptoms as I'm the only type 1 and after 18 years I'm pretty sure I know my stuff, however they always decline or half listen and moan if I'm testing or being a bit snappy because I'm low.

Now as I've said they are doing their first aid at work training and I just find it really annoying that they listen to a medical expert rather than me who knows first hand! Grrrrrr :)!!!!!

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Typical, oh well :rolleyes: hopefully you will be able to enlighten them when questions are asked :cool: ps, please don't hold your breath though o_O

RRB

Last edited by a moderator:

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hopefully they won't come back thinking they know more about it than you do :eek: giving you advice and telling you what you can and can't

Reactions: 5 people

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Its a bit like the NIH factor ie Not Invented Here. Some people always think that something outside their sphere is inherently better .Dont waste your precious energy on negative outputs.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Just a shame you won't doing the course too, then you could speak up about your diabetes and they'd have to listen :D

Reactions: 2 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
At least if they **** it up, and get sued, it'll be the instructor that carries the can, not you.

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I did first aid training at another place I worked and found it really interesting, shame I wasn't asked this time!

Haha I don't think they would have any idea how to treat a hypo especially as I was told that I should be asked if I fancied something sugary or not if I felt low... -_-

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I did first aid training at another place I worked and found it really interesting, shame I wasn't asked this time!

Haha I don't think they would have any idea how to treat a hypo especially as I was told that I should be asked if I fancied something sugary or not if I felt low... -_-

On a positive note it's good that your employer is putting so many people through their first aid training.

L3wisr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know someone who spoke to a personal trainer and came back adamant that you can reverse type 1 by eating salad etc :| ...when I tried to correct it I was in the wrong :banghead:

AndyS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I see myself as incredibly lucky. Not long after I was diagnosed and had suffered a few hypos I was asked if I would mind doing a quick talk for all the first aiders in the office.

Luckily my boss is one of them but it was really well recieved and they have since come and asked me for advice again when they had another T1 start at a different site.