New Guidelines in Pregnancy

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I just posted this in a thread - but thought it might help some others - so thought I'd copy and paste here too... :)

... I'm not pregnant yet - but - I'm planning for a baby... I saw my GP today and said I was totally stressed out *already* (and I'm not even pregnant yet - ha - imagine what I'm going to be like when I am?!) about my numbers not being good enough... To allay my fears she let me in on the fact that they about to renew the nice (gold standard/what all docs follow) guidelines on what control in pregnancy should be - as the current guidelines are too in achievable and are just causing pregnant women to stress / have lots of hypos - and the evidence suggests they don't need to be as tight as they currently are.

Anyway - this is the new framework - which will be released in Feb:
'Advise pregnant women with diabetes who are on metformin, insulin or glibenclamide to maintain their blood glucose level above 4 mmol/litre and below the following target levels, if these are achievable without causing problematic hypoglycaemia:

 fasting:5.3mmol/litre

 1-hourpostprandial:7.8mmol/litre

 2-hour postprandial: 6.4 mmol/litre.

http://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/gid...etes-in-pregnancy-update-draft-nice-guidance2

... Obviously I will still strive to keep my numbers as low as possible, but it *massively* helped reassure me (I've been putting off trying to conceive I was so worried about it - despite having the green light to go ahead with a Hba1c of 6.4) - so thought it might help some you feel a little less stressed about it too... :) x

Reactions: 2 people

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey thanks for this! I'm not pregnant yet either but like you am stressing a bit about my control or lack of at the mo! My boyfriend and I don't have any plans set in stone but we have been talking about the future :)

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hey thanks for this! I'm not pregnant yet either but like you am stressing a bit about my control or lack of at the mo! My boyfriend and I don't have any plans set in stone but we have been talking about the future :)

Welcome... It's definitely helped me feel soooo worried! :)

SofieS

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, this is my first post on this forum but I read it regularly. I just wanted to say a big thanks for posting this! I am currently at pre-conception and also really stressing about my levels. My last hba1c was 60 but my current averages are working out at around 50 & I'm due another test in 2 weeks. I was worried that I'd never get to 43 but now see they've changed this to 48 I'm a bit more hopeful :)

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi, this is my first post on this forum but I read it regularly. I just wanted to say a big thanks for posting this! I am currently at pre-conception and also really stressing about my levels. My last hba1c was 60 but my current averages are working out at around 50 & I'm due another test in 2 weeks. I was worried that I'd never get to 43 but now see they've changed this to 48 I'm a bit more hopeful :)

Ah - I'm so glad it helped you too! And welcome to the forum :)

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello :) would it be advisable when the time is right of course to speak to your diabetes nurse first before you even think of trying to conceive? I am a total newbie to this baby malarkey :p

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello :) would it be advisable when the time is right of course to speak to your diabetes nurse first before you even think of trying to conceive? I am a total newbie to this baby malarkey :p

Hey :) , I know I'm butting in a bit as I haven't posted on this bit before . Sorry lol

I personally would bring it up to your diabetes team as you then normally get sent to a pre conception clinic with in your local area , and they are fantastic they help and answer with any questions always at the end of the phone if you need them and they literally help and guide you through everything you need to know , it really helped me before I fell pregnant , good luck when the time is right for you both. :)

Reactions: 4 people

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah right cool so just say to them that I am thinking of having children etc?

Yeah deffo just bring it up at your next appointment if your in no rush , just say to them that your thinking about having children and then they should send you to the pre conception clinic if they don't you could always ask if you have one with in your area that they could then send you over too . I asked at my latest appointment and got given a number and a name and got in contact that way, my pre conception clinic was at my local hospital under the same people who see me now I am pregnant :)

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Soz, not been on for a few days... But yes, defo agree with Chloe :)

I spoke to mine (that's where I got the heads up on the new guidelines) and they were really helpful and reassuring... Good luck :)

lins100

I would treat this with caution and not be upset if you do not reach such targets which is more than likely bound to happen. The targets for diabetics with type 1 in Medical text is unrealistic and no diabetic will ever reach the targets every day at every meal. So please do not stress out like I did if you do not reach such targets as this will harm your baby more. Each diabetic type 1 will get hypos a lot during pregnancy because of the hormones and the fact your baby is growing and taking from you. Maintaining tight control also leads to hypos. It will be a frustrating experience but keep strong and monitor your sugars and react to any changes required.

Also when you go into hospital bear in mind the midwife's haven't got a clue about diabetes nor has the NHS chief exec or whoever came up with the meal wagon idea in the NHS so you will need to ensure that you bring in enough lucozade, food and dont Nil by Mouth if you have to have a caesarian and your sugar goes low before.

Also your baby won't necessarily be big like all the medical professionals tell you.

I speak from experience. Best of luck you will be fine xxx