Angiogram Bad?

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Very pleased you didn't find it too distressing. I think the results are fab for you.

In my case I went on to have a x5 cabg in 1998. Best thing I ever did. It's been really curative.

Reactions: 2 people

Kaha

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrite
Hi Randburg , thanks for sharing your experience. I had one done in April 2012 in one of the best heart hospitals in South Africa. From all the posts above it looks like that procedure is same all over the world. I had to take one stent .
After reading the comments/ experience of members who posted under the thread , I am willing to ask a few questions about the issue :
1) is there any way that the Cardiologist can examine the condition of the stent and make assessment whether it is functioning OK or not? I am told another angiogram is required to assess the condition of stents ,is it so?
2) For how many years the stent is good for?
3) Will the holder of the stent feel if there is something wrong with the stent?
4) I have the feeling that I have sometimes feeling of some pressure on my chest that does not last more than minute or two and if I drink water the pressure goes off and back to normal
5) I have appointment for stress test in December , can you please advise what could be expected out of the test ?

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Randburg , thanks for sharing your experience. I had one done in April 2012 in one of the best heart hospitals in South Africa. From all the posts above it looks like that procedure is same all over the world. I had to take one stent .
After reading the comments/ experience of members who posted under the thread , I am willing to ask a few questions about the issue :
1) is there any way that the Cardiologist can examine the condition of the stent and make assessment whether it is functioning OK or not? I am told another angiogram is required to assess the condition of stents ,is it so?
2) For how many years the stent is good for?
3) Will the holder of the stent feel if there is something wrong with the stent?
4) I have the feeling that I have sometimes feeling of some pressure on my chest that does not last more than minute or two and if I drink water the pressure goes off and back to normal
5) I have appointment for stress test in December , can you please advise what could be expected out of the test ?

Hi kaha, I cannot speak for stents themselves, I haven't had one, but in my humble opinion if you're experiencing chest pain or heavyness please get it checked out sooner rather than later.

Re 1. Yes another angiogram will determine whether the artery is still functioning ok .
Re 2. Depends on so many factors, so quite hard to say. It can depend on your lifestyle etc.
Re 3 & 4 I doubt it, and if the stent is not functioning properly you probably would get angina symptoms
Re 5 in the UK stress tests are done in a mri scanner and the dye is injected into catheters in your arm, alternatively you could be asked to run on a treadmill and they then take ultrasound measurements when you have reached the peak of your physical capabilities. In my opinion the mri test whilst harder to tolerate it gives better and clearer results .

Hope this helps

Sorry for nicking the thread....again :p

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Very pleased you didn't find it too distressing. I think the results are fab for you.

In my case I went on to have a x5 cabg in 1998. Best thing I ever did. It's been really curative.
Hi @bookmite, I am also a member of the Zipper club .. had my x3 cabg done in 1992 .. gave me my life back