I would appreciate some advice

tibi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi.

This is my first message, my name is Tibi, I live in Romania and about a month ago I started to urinate, sweet taste in my moth and the worse of all I am extremely dizzy and confused. I am a web developer I used to have a really sharp mind now I am like a three years old, my brain is shutting down. An impoartant aspect is that I was a raw vegan for about an year, most of my diet was fruits and I felt fantastic, before that I was eating like a normal person.

First of all in Romania the health care system and hospitals are a living hell, I was hospitalized in two hospitals and it was a nightmare, in the first one I was in a saloon with 20 other sick people some with really bad problems, the smell was terrible the sight was worse, one night one poor man died at about 3 meters form me in another bed, the second hospital was worse...

I don't want to complain but I got to a point were I have no idea what to to anymore, my condition is getting worse ever day. I forgot to mention that I was a really active man. Even my weight was not optimal, 94kg/1.70m I was a massive guy it because I was working out to the gym about 5 times a week. I always had the tendency to gain weight really fast, what I mean by that is really fast I basically put on me after I eat, I could feel it, for example in the morning when I was driving to work my belt was lose, when I returned from work I had to lossen it two holes... and no matter what I do and what diet I was I could never lose the majority of fat, I know now after some readings that this was because of insuline resistance, if I only knew this a few years back things would have been different.

Like I said my symptoms started with some dizziness, then all the good stuff diabetes offers. Right now even if I manage to keep my blood sugar low with a low carb diet, under 120 the symptoms aggravate, my eye sight is bad, I lost 10 kg in a month, of course the fat is still there... and the worse of all I am getting dizzier and more confused and I think I got a depression too, about two days ago my kidney, liver and pancreas started to hurt.

I am really confused about what is happening to me, is normal to have all this symptoms at blood sugars under 140..

I would appreciate any help and advice, I have a little two years girl to raise, and at this moment I feel like I am about to die.

Also I would appreciate some advice about the dizzy and confused part because this is the worse of all basically it got me to a state of vegetable.

Thank you for the help and support and I hope thing will get better for all of us in the future.

janewatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello and welcome Tibi.

I find it difficult to know what to say to you as it sounds that the health system in your country is such a problem.

It seems as if you test your blood and have some understanding of diet possibilities. You're clearly very anxious and upset. It might be helpful for us to know how and when you were diagnosed and what treatment you've had/are having.

Daisy will probably post newcomers information soon. Have a good read and then ask away here. I hope we can help.

Jane.

PS. You write English very well.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Hi there! I felt the same when I was first diagnosed. The best bits of advice I can give are as follows:
Get a meter. The best one is the SD code free because the strips are the cheapest around. If you go to the chemists the strips are £25 per pot for the meters they sell. Although you must buy the codefree on line, you can buy the strips in bulk eg 5 pots for £25 if you use the discount code. First class postage is 50p.
http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm
I kept a food diary. In the beginning, test before food and then 1 hour and 2 hours after. This gives you an idea of what foods you can and can't eat. After a month or two you will have a pretty good idea and will need to test less often though I usually test a couple of times a day or if I feel funny or unwell.
I also followed a low carb diet. LCHF worked for me. It's easy, don't need to weigh anything or carb or calorie count and the food is filling. I have lost 3 St 10lbs since January. See
http://www.dietdoctor.com/
Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hello and welcome Tibi.

Daisy will probably post newcomers information soon. Have a good read and then ask away here. I hope we can help.
Jane.

Hi Tibi and welcome to the forum :)

Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Not everything will apply to your situation in Romania however. If you have some questions go ahead and ask and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 100,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

tibi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there! I felt the same when I was first diagnosed. The best bits of advice I can give are as follows:
Get a meter. The best one is the SD code free because the strips are the cheapest around. If you go to the chemists the strips are £25 per pot for the meters they sell. Although you must buy the codefree on line, you can buy the strips in bulk eg 5 pots for £25 if you use the discount code. First class postage is 50p.
http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm
I kept a food diary. In the beginning, test before food and then 1 hour and 2 hours after. This gives you an idea of what foods you can and can't eat. After a month or two you will have a pretty good idea and will need to test less often though I usually test a couple of times a day or if I feel funny or unwell.
I also followed a low carb diet. LCHF worked for me. It's easy, don't need to weigh anything or carb or calorie count and the food is filling. I have lost 3 St 10lbs since January. See
http://www.dietdoctor.com/
Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Thank you for the reply. I keep my blood sugar in normal limits without drugs but I feel worse everyday. How long it took for you to get rid of the dizziness?

If you are available we can chat on skype.

Thank you.

tibi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome Tibi.

I find it difficult to know what to say to you as it sounds that the health system in your country is such a problem.

It seems as if you test your blood and have some understanding of diet possibilities. You're clearly very anxious and upset. It might be helpful for us to know how and when you were diagnosed and what treatment you've had/are having.

Jane.

I was diagnosed about two weeks ago after I failed the TTGO test, the glucose test.

beardie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As you have been eating raw vegan, it would be worth getting your vitamin B12 level checked.
Your symptoms sound similar to people with a very low level.

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
@tibi
Welcome to the forum, I hope you are finding some information that will be of use to you.

You are living in a beautiful country that regrettably has been poorly managed for many years.

I have visited on business many times over the years and have indeed visited friends who have been hospitalised, not the best experience I have ever had.

Back to the point you say your are not on any medication but are managing to keep your levels in good order.

I can't help with diet since I am not a vegan but I am sure if you posted your usual food intake others that are vegan could give you some advice.

You will find the people on this forum well informed and always willing to help.

Good luck with your journey, take time and ask any questions you have.

tibi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As you have been eating raw vegan, it would be worth getting your vitamin B12 level checked.
Your symptoms sound similar to people with a very low level.

No I eat meat and egs too combined with coocked or raw vegetables. Today I had an apple and some nuts and my glucose spike to 151 mg/dl. My B12 area actually higher then it should be because when I was in hospital they gave me a lot of it.

I seam that I am getting worse by the day, I am a mess...

Reactions: 2 people
K

Kat100

Hi , it can be normal,for your B12 to be higher ...if you have enough in your body's system ....or have just had a B12 top up ...
If you need B12 injections ...your levels will or should be checked ....

Were you given your blood results when you were in hospital to be aware of your levels ...:) do you know how high they were ...and what is the best range for you ....

I hope you feel better soon , you have quite a bit of information already to get you started ...have a good read and look after your health

Best wishes ..Kat

Just an after thought higher levels of b12 can make you feel unwell just like low levels can ...

beardie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No I eat meat and egs too combined with coocked or raw vegetables. Today I had an apple and some nuts and my glucose spike to 151 mg/dl. My B12 area actually higher then it should be because when I was in hospital they gave me a lot of it.

I seam that I am getting worse by the day, I am a mess...
If they gave you a lot of it you must have been low. It took me a few months to start feeling a difference with my thinking. It is still muddled but I'm sure better.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Tibi

Did you get a clear diagnosis of type 1 or type 2 diabetes?
Could you get hold of a pot of Ketostix from a pharmacy or over the internet, so that you can test for ketones in your urine?
Low levels are fine, and indicate weight loss.
Higher levels are dangerous and would suggest that you may be a type 1 diabetic.

Are you on any other medication?

I am so sorry that you feel so dreadful, and have so little support from your medical service.

Your changing belt size and difficulty losing weight sound just like me.
It has taken me years to realise how low I need to keep my carb intake. Much lower than most.
I would feel bad after eating an apple too.

Do you feel better if you eat nothing but meat, fish, eggs, cheese, green vegetables and oils and fats?
Give it a try for a day or two, and see if that helps.

And please keep posting. This forum is a great place to learn how to best handle your condition.

Reactions: 2 people

tibi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
After the TTGO test I had 214 mg/ml after tw9 h9urs. Right now I can't really eat, I eat mostly vegetables, meat and eggs.

With this diet I keep my glucose under 120mg/dl but I feel worse each day. My urination is more frequent, I started to have head pain and worse of all my hart beats funny and yes they find a high level of ketosis in my urine.

They said I have T2 diabetes.

After I eat an apple my glucose is spiking up to 150 mg/dl.

I am worse by the day and I don't know what to do.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
After the TTGO test I had 214 mg/ml after tw9 h9urs. Right now I can't really eat, I eat mostly vegetables, meat and eggs.

With this diet I keep my glucose under 120mg/dl but I feel worse each day. My urination is more frequent, I started to have head pain and worse of all my hart beats funny and yes they find a high level of ketosis in my urine.

They said I have T2 diabetes.

After I eat an apple my glucose is spiking up to 150 mg/dl.

I am worse by the day and I don't know what to do.

That is a usual reading of under 6.6mmol/l and a spike after the apple of 8.5 mmol/l in UK units.

That isn't particularly high, but if you have ketones too, they may be what is making you feel so bad.
Do you know what the ketone readings are? Ketostix will help with that. Can you get some today?

Sounds like you urgently need more tests - to see if they mis-diagnosed you and you are really a type 1. Or if it is something completely different.
(but I am NOT an expert, so you really do need a good doctor for this)

Please don't delay. Get an appointment URGENTLY. Every day matters with type 1, and if it is something else, the quicker you get a diagnosis, the quicker you get treatment.

I will put out a call for some experienced type 1s in the hope that they may be able to shed some light on your situation.
I'm afraid, as a type 2, I don't even know if tpe 1s can have lowish bg readings, and high ketones at the same time...
@Spiker
@Heathenlass
@noblehead
can you shed any light? it sounds like Tibi is in rather a difficult situation.

tibi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I will try to get some tests for ketosis asap.

Thank you for your help.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
@tibi, if your keeping your bg below 120mg/dl (6.7mmol) then it's unlikely that it's type 1 diabetes, if your showing ketones in your urine these could just be dietary ketones from following a low-carb diet, I'm no expert along with everyone else on the forum so it's best to get a Dr's opinion on what is going on with your symptoms.

Reactions: 6 people