"Hello everyone" from a doctor with early Type 2 diabetes

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No worries, the beard is a poor disguise. The cryptic comments, dry wit and lack of punctuation gave you away! ;)

Reactions: 2 people

Fishtoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
is that some sort of second life thing Dianagrace?

Nah! She is spelt with two LLs We also have Sir Edmund Hillary here in NZ, first to climb Everest, and much revered. There is also a popular singer Hilary Weeks who confuses things if I am googled lol (best to put "New Zealand" artist for me) wonder what happens if i google " beardie" ?!

Fishtoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please don't apologise! I could ask you the same - you remind me of someone who used to post here and then went AWOL. Twice....;) You're not his alter ego by any chance...?
Hi Diana.....being of an addictive weak-willed nature i should escape while the going is good, but I find myself still here! Tut Tut Tut !

Fishtoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nah! She is spelt with two LLs We also have Sir Edmund Hillary here in NZ, first to climb Everest, and much revered. There is also a popular singer Hilary Weeks who confuses things if I am googled lol (best to put "New Zealand" artist for me) wonder what happens if i google " beardie" ?!
When I had TIA's I was just given increased Aspirin .. 300gm a day .. I don't know for sure why but The Wife (sorry the wife again) says sugar can be used to clot blood .. so if she cuts herself she will sprinkle sugar on the cut and it stops bleeding quite quickly .. the only sugar we have is in the medicine cabinet .. so would eating lots of sugar affect the clotting of blood ?
edit to add.. when I had my TIA's I was eating lots of sugars, but stopped soon after when my diet changed
Hi enclave,
I think sugar put on a cut in the skin probably gives the blood something to form a blood clot on...just like those little bits of cottonwool my father used to put on his razor cuts on his face when shaving with the old fashioned cut-throat razor.
But no, eating sugar has nothing to do with blood clotting in the blood to your brain...it is the aspirin that is SO important in prevention...really important to continue with that, unless your Doc tells you to stop....so don't be tempted by the contents of your medicine cabinet! );)

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My dear doc has cut the aspirin dose right down now .... When I questiond this , I was told who's the Dr in this room .. I wanted to point out its my body .. Not had good experiences with any of my Drs or DS s !

Fishtoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My dear doc has cut the aspirin dose right down now .... When I questiond this , I was told who's the Dr in this room .. I wanted to point out its my body .. Not had good experiences with any of my Drs or DS s !

So sorry you have had bad experiences with docs..try to find one who does not mind questions, and allows you to make decisions, and is not always in a hurry...that may be difficult!!
But it is only a very small 100mg dose of aspirin daily that is necessary for long term prevention of arterial blood clots....surprisingly a whole aspirin does not work so well....except as a starting dose...say for a heart attack....

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So sorry you have had bad experiences with docs..try to find one who does not mind questions, and allows you to make decisions, and is not always in a hurry...that may be difficult!!
But it is only a very small 100mg dose of aspirin daily that is necessary for long term prevention of arterial blood clots....surprisingly a whole aspirin does not work so well....except as a starting dose...say for a heart attack....
I know .. Thanks .. Have had a few heart attacks in the past ... Dr said it was a stress attack .. So they went untreated when I had my heart by pass op I was told there is a fair bit of damage to my heart from not getting the right treatment earlier .. Still here so no problem

K

Kat100

Yes I did...I constantly pestered her to "be kind"..makes me shudder at my behaviour...Sadly I won't really have time to spend on this site, it has already held me up enough over the last 24 hours ...I am also addicted to an artist's social network....so I may have to opt out of this one, but i love chatting on line....have a social phone phobia unfortunately or perhaps just as well....so much on my "to do" list each day, apart from work, so I am very lucky but always suffering from time stress..must paint a "cute and fluffy" for up coming Christmas Fair inaid of the RSPCA...planned 30 by end of month, have only done 20 so far..I have a website www.hilaryweeks.co.nz if you are interested.
Sorry Kat, must rush, Hilary
Hi Hilary
Your paintings are just amazing, you must be very famous in NZ :)
Shame you are dropping into this site then moving on so soon

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The wife is the editor of the Garden Tripod magazine .. If you would like her to feature your art work just let me know and I will get it sorted

Reactions: 4 people

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I had TIA's I was just given increased Aspirin .. 300gm a day .. I don't know for sure why but The Wife (sorry the wife again) says sugar can be used to clot blood .. so if she cuts herself she will sprinkle sugar on the cut and it stops bleeding quite quickly .. the only sugar we have is in the medicine cabinet .. so would eating lots of sugar affect the clotting of blood ?
edit to add.. when I had my TIA's I was eating lots of sugars, but stopped soon after when my diet changed
That's interesting, as before my diabetes diagnosis I had only been diagnosed with vascular decease only a couple of weeks before, they found that I had a 75 percent reduction in the artery supplying the left leg, anyway after my diet change from the diabetic diagnosis, (cutting out sugar which I had a lot of prior ) the pain when walking faded away to nothing & the pulse in my hip got stronger, to the point it was as strong as my right hip to which I have had the opp for a stent put off unless I get a problem in the future. It would be nice if I had another Doppler scan to see if the reduction has changed.
So may be sugar could have been the cause of the narrowing.

Fishtoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's interesting, as before my diabetes diagnosis I had only been diagnosed with vascular decease only a couple of weeks before, they found that I had a 75 percent reduction in the artery supplying the left leg, anyway after my diet change from the diabetic diagnosis, (cutting out sugar which I had a lot of prior ) the pain when walking faded away to nothing & the pulse in my hip got stronger, to the point it was as strong as my right hip to which I have had the opp for a stent put off unless I get a problem in the future. It would be nice if I had another Doppler scan to see if the reduction has changed.
So may be sugar could have been the cause of the narrowing.

Wow, that's excellent Paul, so pleased....but whether the scan shows any change or not, the most important thing is how it feels to you!!......have you lost any weiight since cutting out the sugar?...that may have helped too perhaps?

Fishtoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The wife is the editor of the Garden Tripod magazine .. If you would like her to feature your art work just let me know and I will get it sorted
That's a very good offer thank you so much....and if I sold my work on line, I would definitely take you up on it.....however for the moment, I have a website, but don't do any online selling..yet!

Fishtoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Hilary

I was in a book of 100 NZ paintings 20 years ago and had pleanty of solo shows when just out of art school, but I chose to go back to medicine.....and am not at all well known now in the art world...far too old fashioned 0;)

Fishtoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know .. Thanks .. Have had a few heart attacks in the past ... Dr said it was a stress attack .. So they went untreated when I had my heart by pass op I was told there is a fair bit of damage to my heart from not getting the right treatment earlier .. Still here so no problem

Not sure whether you are M or F as cannot view your profile, but women in particular are often not diagnosed as quickly as men..... if a man has a pain in his chest then everyone thinks" heart" but other diagnoses usually come to mind first with a woman....also the symptoms may be a bit different from the usual... and can be blamed on stress....always a risky diagnosis..I'm not trying to make excuses for us doctors as we are perfectly aware that this is a likely pitfall for us from the statistics, but we still tend to think this way unfortunately....

Fishtoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Hilary
Things are calming down a bit on site for me now Kat, so I am still here at the moment!! Finding the forum system a bit difficult tho...lots of messages seem to be duplicated? Did,
t find the videos much help....will have to have another look would prefer a Q and A section

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure whether you are M or F as cannot view your profile, but women in particular are often not diagnosed as quickly as men..... if a man has a pain in his chest then everyone thinks" heart" but other diagnoses usually come to mind first with a woman....also the symptoms may be a bit different from the usual... and can be blamed on stress....always a risky diagnosis..I'm not trying to make excuses for us doctors as we are perfectly aware that this is a likely pitfall for us from the statistics, but we still tend to think this way unfortunately....
I am male with a very strong family history of heart problems .. Most men in my family dying of heart attacks in their early to mid 50's, When I got the second Dr he said straight away I has unstable angina and heart attack at some point .. Then sent me to hospital

Fishtoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am male with a very strong family history of heart problems .. Most men in my family dying of heart attacks in their early to mid 50's, When I got the second Dr he said straight away I has unstable angina and heart attack at some point .. Then sent me to hospital
Well definitely NO excuse then....but so glad you have been rescued

Fishtoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
oops I forget its not me any more. yes sorry
Hi Diane...I see someone else answered this for me.....am finding working out this forum system somewhat difficult...no I'm not an alter ego although I may remember that is future...activity has reduced somewhat since my first 24 hours here which was scary...being in a different hemisphere from he majority helps too lol
Please don't apologise! I could ask you the same - you remind me of someone who used to post here and then went AWOL. Twice....;) You're not his alter ego by any chance...?
Hi Diane...I see someone else answered this for me.....am finding working out this forum system somewhat difficult...no I'm not an alter ego although I may remember that is future...activity has reduced somewhat since my first 24 hours here which was scary...being in a different hemisphere from he majority helps too lol