Coconut oil weight loss

Mozzy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I've been trying coconut oil for weight loss. 2 teaspoons a day. But I have noticed my BG is going up and taking longer to come down. So the question is, is this a result of the coconut oil? (It is cold pressed)

My current regime is:
500mg of metformin pd.
Cilazapril
Metoprolol
Aspirin
Abilify 20mg pd
Quetipine 25mg pd
Loratadine

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I think the only way to come close to figuring it out is to stop the coconut oil for a few days and see what happens. However, I wouldn't think 2 teaspoons a day would have a noticeable affect.

Reactions: 2 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I know this is a little off topic .. but I have an overweight dog that has been having coconut oil to loose weight .. it works and has worked with the dog for weight loss .. don't think it will increase BS as I also have a spoon of the coconut oil when I give it to the dog, and my sugar levels are good.:angelic:o_O:angelic:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Both @Bluetit1802 and @alliebee have commented on elevated morning blood scores, having increased their fat intake (In an effort to halt weight loss). It's on the forum somewhere, but I'm not sure which thread. Perhaps one of them might pop on as I've tagged them in this post.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Indeed. My fasting levels are marching upwards whilst my post meal levels are falling significantly. This appears to coincide with increasing my fat consumption, (cheese in my case), which I have had to do in order not to lose more weight. There was a discussion on another thread about the Pizza Effect, on which Phoenix posted some interesting links. I can't recall which thread this was now, but I did copy one of the links. http://www.mendosa.com/The-Fat-of-the-Matter-How-Dietary-Fat-Effects-Blood-Glucose.htm

You may find it interesting, but it talks about large quantities of fat consumed, not a couple of spoonsful, and how this affects BS levels many hours after eating. On one of the other links it mentioned in excess of 25g of fat in one meal.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know this is a little off topic .. but I have an overweight dog that has been having coconut oil to loose weight .. it works and has worked with the dog for weight loss .. don't think it will increase BS as I also have a spoon of the coconut oil when I give it to the dog, and my sugar levels are good.:angelic:o_O:angelic:
check the carb content on the food label, they are filling dog food with cheap carb now. their system can handle it even less than ours can, a good carb content for a dog is 0.00g,
flesh and fur is the filler for dogs, liver, hearts, kidney and other offal and fat .... fed every couple of days

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
check the carb content on the food label, they are filling dog food with cheap carb now. their system can handle it even less than ours can, a good carb content for a dog is 0.00g,
flesh and fur is the filler for dogs, liver, hearts, kidney and other offal and fat .... fed every couple of days
We feed our hound real food. Raw. What dogs evolved to eat (not tinned, or pelleted, or cooked). He is glowing with health.

Reactions: 4 people

Mozzy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is no regime, @nomistheman just 2 teaspoons of coconut oil :) daily for two weeks 2 hrs after breakfast. I will have some blood test info on Monday so that may have more data for you.

My eating habits have been good. In fact I recently came off all oral diabetics in June and was fine until the dr put me on a new antipsychotic in August then did a turn around and put me back on metformin.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
The dogs a Saluki with other minor health problems ... The coconut oil works very well and. Not looking to change her diet now, as she is slimmer and happy.

Mozzy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Mozzy so basically, if I've got this right, you were hoping to loose weight by adding two teaspoons of coconut oil (after breakfast) into your diet and that's the only change you made?

Congratulations on getting off all the oral medication. That's a great achievement! :)

Coconut oil has lots of health benefits I'd suggest you consider how you're going to use the wonderful coconut oil in your diet. Most people just swap out all the other oils for coconut oil wherever possible.

If you want to use it to lose weight then it would need to be consumed on it's own as an intermittent fast or as a replacement for some of the other macronutrients in your diet.

If you like coffee you may wish to consider Dave Asprey's Bullet Proof Coffee to get you easily through an intermittent fast.

Of course you have to weigh up the pros and cons to decide for yourself. No one knows your body quite like you do.

Yes since I've only just started taking coconut oil, it made sense to ease into it. You seem to infer that I should dramatically reduce dietary intake and increase the coconut oil for the maximum benefits. However why would I need to? I'm only on 500mg metformin currently as a direct result of starting an antipsychotic which has a direct correlation to weight gain. My goal is to lose about 10kg per year so no need to make dramatic changes. Dramatic weight loss is something many strive for but my informed decision is that it is too hard on the body and will thus result in the return of the lost weight around 18 mnths later. I intend to increment the actions I take over the next year by gradually increasing a walking regime to ten thousand steps a day. Take care.