What have you eaten today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My great granny went into a coma post diabetic induced stroke and died. According to my mum she didn't really try to look after herself , always sneaking extra carbs as a " little treat won't hurt. " I think we sometimes forget about the seriousness of this disease, and indeed, are encouraged in this by many HCP and their almost blasé attitude towards telling us about the diagnosis and dietary advice, I think the two things I've learnt by becoming diabetic are that treats should be something infrequent and deserved and that you can't have your cake and eat it.. Now if I decide that I want a fe more carbs, I cut back on them and calories earlier in day, and I get on my bike and do some peddling to use them up. I only wish I'd learnt all this earlier before becoming fat and diabetic.

Reactions: 6 people

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. Goodness that's so young
Yup, it was 10 years ago, he was the eldest brother and I have now lived 7 years longer than he lived.

It's wrong and sad, but that's life .

Your friend might be ill, but is being selfish and not seeing the writing on the wall.

Reactions: 4 people

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B. Bacon , field mushrooms, tomatoes

L. Cold meats and a chunk of Wensleydale

T. Chicken and veg stir fry

Treat for tonight, pistachio nuts, and maybe a JD and diet coke

BG in the 5's all day , and did a gorgeous walk from Givendale to Deepdale , the pooches loved it :)

Reactions: 2 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
3 egg omelet, 2 rashers of bacon, and an Americano. Yum.

Reactions: 3 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
breakfast turkey bacon, mushrooms, poached egg
lunch ham, 1oz cheddar and 1/4 not very nice apple
dinner naughty fry up ( done in oven) meaty sausage, bacon chop, buttery mushrooms, tinned tomato and 4 skin on wedges. The peddle machine beckons when it settles.

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
B 1/2 an apple and handful of walnuts ( first apple in months, won't repeat )
L large salad box with assorted meats
D vegetable stir fry
P few sq. g&b 85% choc

Reactions: 7 people

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
B 1/2 an apple and handful of walnuts ( first apple in months, won't repeat )
L large salad box with assorted meats
D vegetable stir fry
P few sq. g&b 85% choc

Funny I can manage half an apple or a small whole one - I have it with a bit of cheese to slow it all down. We're all different.

Weird Science

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Funny I can manage half an apple or a small whole one - I have it with a bit of cheese to slow it all down. We're all different.

It was a red American, I think California apple, it tasted sweet, will maybe try a Granny Smith next week just for recording purposes:)

I've just got through post some Milk Thistle tablets I'm going to try, read that they can help with DP, anyone else know any info or taking..?

mamamodge

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Breakfast 30g cheese
Bowl of brocolli and stilton soup
Avocado
Ok it was a late brekkie!

Cream and 50 g of blueberries

Dinner Tin of Tuna
100g mixed leaves 50 g cucumber
Courgette 75 g
Mayo dessert spoon ful

Snack large glass home made cab sauv and 50 gs quince vheese and onion ...yep with pastry ...
Tablespoon coconut oil.

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
B: lovely porridge with cream
L: unsatisfying salad from staff canteen and some leek and potato soup which I only had 3 sips - not very nice
D: out for tea, had a beetroot and goats cheese salad and cappuchino
S: Greek yoghurt with blueberries

I also bought some peanut butter the other day to make fat bombs, but I'm ashamed to say I have eaten all the peanut butter :sorry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 7 people

mamamodge

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It was a red American, I think California apple, it tasted sweet, will maybe try a Granny Smith next week just for recording purposes:)

I've just got through post some Milk Thistle tablets I'm going to try, read that they can help with DP, anyone else know any info or taking..?
Whst is DP??

pavlovsdog

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Pavlovsdog, check out the Dr Bernstein book. - I've been getting loads of "advice" from my brother (extreme athlete turned body builder) about protein and to be honest, it was getting way too complicated and he isn't the most patient person In the world. I wasn't bringing my levels down as far as I wanted and he just kept saying I wasn't doing Paleo properly, then he'd go off on one. There are things which, although they are low carb, have a strange effect on blood sugar and need to be avoided!

From what I can tell, all sweeteners are bad 'cept pure stevia or some tablet sweeteners, (list in book), milk, cottage cheese, soft cheese etc are way worse than you'd guess from the label, there are fewer safe "vegetables" than you'd think too! Protein is good but you don't need more than 1-1.2g per kg of your ideal body weight. Too much will push up BG. Fats (again, check the book) are fine. They don't have any effect on BG, and are great for adding calories and taste to food. - If you follow the Dr Bernstein approach, you will lose weight and you won't need to worry about adding too much fat. - way easier to work out!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

I've been looking at Bernstein's books @hornplayer which would you recommend?

Ive

Marko723

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Tonight's Meatzza! Sorry about the quick iPhone picture....

IMG_0018_zps938a5638.jpg

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Coyo and coffee with cream (sublime coffee.

Ran out of my decaff ground coffee yesterday and had to use a dolce gusto grande caffeine pod. :wideyed: Heaven. Even made it in my really snazzy heat activated colour changing coffee cup n saucer to mark the occasion. I remembered it was good. But the sheer exquisition of the experience... Omg... But of course, it is now 1am, and I'm wide awake. We have to pay for our pleasures, don't we?
image.jpg

Lunch was 2 rice cakes (12gcarbs) swamped in taramasalata.
Then that was so gorgeous, I had it all over again at 4pm. :rolleyes:

Supper was fish, microwaved with garlic and double cream. And a mountain of green beans. The ones that taste almost nutty.

Glass of coconut milk at bedtime.

A day of sensual enjoyment.
And, again, not enough veggies.

mamamodge

Type of diabetes
HCP
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I just for the life of me could not work out what DP stood for ...I was slightly confused.com

B .100g frozen blueberties ...I find them more economical than fresh.
50 mls double cream ...
One undressed ..cashew and datebar.
AKA a naked bar !
L.last bowl of brocolli and stilton soup
D salad ..with maybe some eggs swamped in mayo.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just for the life of my work out what DP stood for ...I was slightly confused.com

B .100g frozen blueberties ...I find them more economical than fresh.
50 mls double cream ...
One undressed ..cashew and datebar.
AKA a naked bar !
L.last bowl of brocolli and stilton soup
D salad ..with maybe some eggs swamped in mayo.

Hi,

Those Nakd bars are GORGEOUS.
But the ones I have tried have huge amounts of dates in them (up to 50%).
Raw fooders use dates as a sugar substitute, and I used to put date puree into my hot chocolates as a sweetener, in the days when I was searching for sugar alternatives. But the sugar spike stopped that fairly quickly!

Hopefully, you will have a much better tolerance for dates than I do, but worth checking, just in case...

hornplayer

I've been looking at Bernstein's books @hornplayer which would you recommend?

Ive

Hiya Ive,

I've got "Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution" 4th edition - the ebook version is about a fiver whereas the paper copy is £22! I've also got his "the Diabetes Diet" but I haven't started reading that yet. I also got "Blood Sugar 101" by Jenny Ruhl, which is a real eye opener! Should be required reading. - I don't know why they don't give copies out at diagnosis, 'cept it would send the drug companies apoplectic!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Status
Not open for further replies.