how long for BS to be under control

fionamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Started on metformin 500mg yesterday will increase to 1500mg over nextg 2/3 weeks,if i check my BS morning, after breakfast, pre lunch, post lunch, pre dinner, post dinner and bedtime, and eat according to the meter,when can i expect to see my BS levels stabilize? or is that too much checking?
TIA x

Foxie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I'm on metformin 4 x 500 aday. My BS were as high as 16. On the 1st October I decided after 2 yrs of total denial that I would do something about it before it was too late.
I check my glucose level like you before and 2 hrs after every meal, and went on the LCHF eating plan. I can honestly say it's the best thing I've ever done. My BS are now a steady 7 on fasting and go as low as 4.9 in the day. So in 2 months I have finely cracked it. Not only changing my life style totally I've also lost just over 2 stone. I'm not saying it's easy but at least by writing all my foods down along with the readings I now know what I can eat and what I need to avoid.
To help me on my way I also installed on my mobile carbs and Cals it's a brill app to help you to decide what foods are best to eat when you're on low carbs.
I have an appt at the end of Dec back to the docs for my 3 month check up and I'm hoping this time I will get a better result. (Fingers crossed)
Good luck x

Reactions: 5 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Started on metformin 500mg yesterday will increase to 1500mg over nextg 2/3 weeks,if i check my BS morning, after breakfast, pre lunch, post lunch, pre dinner, post dinner and bedtime, and eat according to the meter,when can i expect to see my BS levels stabilize? or is that too much checking?
TIA x
Just a word of warning, in my experience Metformin does not start working immediately but kicks in after two or three weeks.

For now I believe you should concentrate on finding how different foods affect you, and on keeping two hour readings within 2mmol of your pre meal readings ( by reducing carb content of next meal) until you can achieve this.

Don't put yourself under additional pressure by setting a time limit to stabilizing your levels.

Pavlos

Reactions: 6 people

Kaha

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hypocrite
Probably the shortest answer to the question asked by the thread is "for the rest of your life"

Reactions: 2 people

beardie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
From what I have read Metformin does not have a huge effect. diet is more important.

Reactions: 5 people

brettsza

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you are type 1 pls correct me if i am wrong but after going lchf and taking 2x500 mets i was down in about 2 weeks in constants 5s but thats how it worked on me it could be different for you but i hope sooner the better and yes as pavlos said dont stress out. Try different things and see what your monitor says and then eat to it. I cant forget those words of @Bluetit1802 that this change that you have to make in your diet is not for a day week month or year its for life.

All the best. Take care

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin isn't a miracle cure. It does very little to lower BS levels. It helps with insulin resistance, supresses the production of glucose by your liver, and is an appetite suppressant - but all these to a limited extent. Diet is the key.

How long to get your BS under control? How long is a piece of string? It all depends on how good you are with your eating plan.

You have the right idea about testing, and it is really a good idea to keep a food diary alongside the records of your levels. Once you have worked out a suitable eating plan you won't need to test as much.

Reactions: 7 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Bluetit1802 i am hungry all the time sometimes i cant even wait for 2 hours to test my 2 hour level :(

Are you eating enough fat?
As you drop your carbs, you need to replace them with something. Something that stops The Hunger.
For me, that is fat. But some people use slightly bigger portions of protein too.

You probably know this already, but it's always worth repeating. ;)

Reactions: 7 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I agree with Bluetit. Do increase the fats and proteins if you remain hungry and don't expect too much from Metformin

Reactions: 2 people

fionamarie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think you are type 1 pls correct me if i am wrong but after going lchf and taking 2x500 mets i was down in about 2 weeks in constants 5s but thats how it worked on me it could be different for you but i hope sooner the better and yes as pavlos said dont stress out. Try different things and see what your monitor says and then eat to it. I cant forget those words of @Bluetit1802 that this change that you have to make in your diet is not for a day week month or year its for life.

All the best. Take care
Type 2

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
TIA x
I did about 20g carb a day and metformin. my levels were down in a month, first the afternoon and before tea dropped. you should start seeing it the first week

hornplayer

At diagnosis my doctor panicked, although, reading about some other peoples levels at diagnosis, I don't know why. I was 17.4 and he was reaching for the phone to call an ambulance. - I said no to a hospital visit as I had a show that night and much to his consternation, that was that.
He did give me one piece of excellent advice (between hyperventilating and blustering, - he was new, bless him!). He told me to eat as little carbohydrate as possible, as little as I could and still have the energy to function and drink loads of water. He gave me a prescription for Metformin, starting off with 1 and increasing to 4x500 over three weeks and made an appointment for me to see the Diabetic lead doctor the following week.
When I got in there, she was waiting, test kit in one hand, phone in the other. - I tested dead on 7. That was with just low carb and no chance for the Metformin to kick in. She didn't rethink my Metformin prescription though and I carried on taking it for nearly 18 months before I decided I couldn't live with the side effects any more. It didn't have any effect on my blood sugar levels.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

RMK

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I was diagnosed 3 months ago and basically went through the same questions and thought process. Stay calm, it can weeks for the medication to kick in. At 42 I panicked with my diagnosis however the rules are simple. No sugar and watch your carb intake. You can still enjoy a vodka and diet coke or any other spirit