Troubles with LCHF

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
@akindrat18 excessive thirst can be a symptom of other stuff, I'd tell the Dr next time you see him, he can do some bloods to check

I don't have excessive thirst all the time, its just that I drink so that I don't feel like snacking. For example, today I had a bowl of cereal at 7:30am and just over a litre of water until I had some Walkers baked crisps at 2:30pm. I drink to suppress my hunger and to keep hydrated as the colour of my urine looks like honey or really dark yellow especially in the morning and evening times.

With regards to how much fat I eat, I don't eat alot of fat as having too much of it has made me vomit several times:yuck: and what i've been suggested to do by a friend of mine is to gradually lower my carb intake and increase my fat uptake to a reasonable level.

Eggs are awesome as are subway, their salads are terrific value, you gets loads and can choose your meats and cheeses, just swerve the bread

Good luck, one foot in front of the other

eggs are indeed awesome. I normally have 1 or 2 eggs a day, but now thinking of have 4-6 eggs a day as I can buy 30 eggs for £2 which is a good deal. Also I love turkey and have just made myself some Moroccan Spiced Fried Turkey.:)

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't eat alot of fat as having too much of it has made me vomit several times:yuck:
I think your brain is giving you some good advice.
Not to sure about your urine colour, just make sure you drink plenty of water.
Have loads of beetroot, the colour will become redish for a bit then back to normal, so I have been told
images

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
that's good to hear that it isn't excessive thirst.
you are going against a lifetime of eating high carb low fat, I would adjust slowly to a diet you decide upon, eggs are ideal in protein fat balance they say.

"Dr Eric C. Westman, MD and president elect of the American Society of Bariatric Physicians (weight loss doctors), has 15 years of experience helping patients lose weight and improve their health using low carb. He has also helped do several high-quality scientific studies on low carb."
" Don't do low carb low fat " @4.00 min in video

Reactions: 4 people

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I forgot to mention that I lost another 3kg in a month :) and I had 2 moles on the back of my neck removed 2 days ago which strangely raised my blood sugars and blood pressure quite dramatically and made me look pale and I was shaking for some time.I don't know if this is common for diabetics after having moles removed, but I feel fine now and have had the bandage removed after having it on for 48 hours and my scarf for 36 hours as the bandage lost grip by 6pm on thursday. I will be having the stitches out on friday which I cannot wait for as they are annoying the hell out of me and I have been given little after care advice apart from do not soak it in water for 5 minutes.

Andrew S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snobs! Angry people who keep getting angry and can't calm down.
Sorry to hear that the mole removal was a bit of a shock to your system. I have skin tags on my neck which could be diabetes related. One that was annoying me on the back of my neck fell off this morning in the shower. :)

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I feel fine now, the wounds are healing up nicely and itching which is a good sign that they are healing. I've also only had a dash of diet coke in a week and that was at my uni's student union bar as they do pints, half pints and dashes of drinks, the bartender then looked at me in a strange way because I ordered a dash and not a pint or half pint of diet coke, but it only costed me 23p as it was after 3pm and they have 25% off everything that they sell.

On the downside, I still cannot get through a week without carbs!! I've tried having nuts when i'm hungry and its got to the point that I vomit the nuts back out, with the hunger still being their and i give in and have a round of burgen soya & linseed toast or something sweet and carby. I'm going to be doing another food shop soon and been thinking about buying continental foods such as olives, frikadellen's, kabanos. Also is squirty cream just as good as normal cream from a tub as I can't make whipped cream by hand.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Olives are brilliant. I eat them a lot. If I need a snack I can have just a couple of olives and I'm fine.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel fine now, the wounds are healing up nicely and itching which is a good sign that they are healing. I've also only had a dash of diet coke in a week and that was at my uni's student union bar as they do pints, half pints and dashes of drinks, the bartender then looked at me in a strange way because I ordered a dash and not a pint or half pint of diet coke, but it only costed me 23p as it was after 3pm and they have 25% off everything that they sell.

On the downside, I still cannot get through a week without carbs!! I've tried having nuts when i'm hungry and its got to the point that I vomit the nuts back out, with the hunger still being their and i give in and have a round of burgen soya & linseed toast or something sweet and carby. I'm going to be doing another food shop soon and been thinking about buying continental foods such as olives, frikadellen's, kabanos. Also is squirty cream just as good as normal cream from a tub as I can't make whipped cream by hand.

Squirty cream is usually sweetened I think. If you want cream with substance, you could try the extra thick double cream. It''s obviously higher calorie than "normal" double cream.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Olives are brilliant. I eat them a lot. If I need a snack I can have just a couple of olives and I'm fine.

Hi mo53, I wanna try olives again as I love cooking with olive oil, but when I had olives from a jar they just tasted too bitter. Would roasting olives and then adding cheese on top counteract the bitterness?

Squirty cream is usually sweetened I think. If you want cream with substance, you could try the extra thick double cream. It''s obviously higher calorie than "normal" double cream.

I found this squirty cream by Anchor and its extra thick spray cream which is 99% cream and really quite low carb.

Typical ValuesTypical Values per 100gPer 12.5g serving
Energy kJ1719kJ214kJ
-418kcal52kcal
Protein2.1g0.3g
Carbohydrate2.6g0.3g
of which sugars2.6g0.3g
Fat44.3g5.5g
of which saturates30.5g3.8g
mono-unsaturates10.4g1.3g
polyunsaturates0.8g0.1g

This is from: http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=262946263

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi mo53, I wanna try olives again as I love cooking with olive oil, but when I had olives from a jar they just tasted too bitter. Would roasting olives and then adding cheese on top counteract the bitterness?

I found this squirty cream by Anchor and its extra thick spray cream which is 99% cream and really quite low carb.

Typical ValuesTypical Values per 100gPer 12.5g serving
Energy kJ1719kJ214kJ
-418kcal52kcal
Protein2.1g0.3g
Carbohydrate2.6g0.3g
of which sugars2.6g0.3g
Fat44.3g5.5g
of which saturates30.5g3.8g
mono-unsaturates10.4g1.3g
polyunsaturates0.8g0.1g

This is from: http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=262946263

Great find. I might have to try some of that myself.

Thanks.

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
There are other anchor squirty creams, but they contain 95% cream and 4% sugars

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There are other anchor squirty creams, but they contain 95% cream and 4% sugars

I knew about the sweetened ones, but not the Extra Thick variant, without sugar. Thanks for sharing that into. :)

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm sorry but I've never tried roasting olives so I don't know. Sorry

Fruitsalad

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am only 2 days into LCHF and I've already failed massively :( I don't know about anyone else but my blood sugar levels rose up into the teens and considering what I have read about LCHF, my levels should have been low. I've done my research on LCHF and I still cannot over come the cravings for carbs and diet coke as i felt constipated, tired and depressed. How do you deal with these side effects low-carbers as I felt so rubbish and weak during my 2nd day, I was unable to leave the halls of residence that i stay at as i just felt that I could only walk from my room to the common room on that day.

Diet coke raises my blood sugar....

akindrat18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Diet coke raises my blood sugar....

Really?? That is strange as when I drink a can of it for one day a week it does not affect me. But tbh i rarely test my blood sugars and I feel great, like yesterday I had 4 toasted slices of Warburtons Fruit Loaf with Orange for breakfast, then for lunch another four slices of the fruit loaf not toasted and for dinner a pre-made cheese salad bap. I never tested throughout yesterday as the pain i get from finger pricking is unbearable and I felt fine :)

alliebee

I am only 2 days into LCHF and I've already failed massively :( I don't know about anyone else but my blood sugar levels rose up into the teens and considering what I have read about LCHF, my levels should have been low. I've done my research on LCHF and I still cannot over come the cravings for carbs and diet coke as i felt constipated, tired and depressed. How do you deal with these side effects low-carbers as I felt so rubbish and weak during my 2nd day, I was unable to leave the halls of residence that i stay at as i just felt that I could only walk from my room to the common room on that day.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Really?? That is strange as when I drink a can of it for one day a week it does not affect me. But tbh i rarely test my blood sugars and I feel great, like yesterday I had 4 toasted slices of Warburtons Fruit Loaf with Orange for breakfast, then for lunch another four slices of the fruit loaf not toasted and for dinner a pre-made cheese salad bap. I never tested throughout yesterday as the pain i get from finger pricking is unbearable and I felt fine :)
4 slices = 66 g carbs. That would have me over 10 for sure, especially at breakfast!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Do you have urine testing strips perchance Akindrat? They will only pick up elevated levels, and give indicative levels by the colour they change to, but I'd be curious to know how you score after that little lot.

Have you given up on low carb?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

So you feel great? Good luck to you, but if you tested your blood sugars after that carb loaded bread you may have had a shock. The pain of finger pricking is preferable to diabetic complications arising out of high blood sugars. Why do you get unbearable pain anyway? A fleeting sting maybe.